Keto help i feel so disheartened

Options
Hello i did keto over 2 years ago and had amazing results then life happened hubby went on a really long deployment so was busy with 3 kids and fell off the wagon since then I have gained 20+ pounds and went into keto 3 weeks ago I have been tracking everything on my carb manager to a T I am 5’6 170lbs GW 150 to start with i stay under 1300 cals a day and under 25gs of carbs never hit my fat macros about 10gs or or so daily I feel good just in the last 2 weeks not a single pound lost im about to throw in the towel and accept being over weight the first time I had done this I lost 8lbs in two weeks I would care if it was only 1 or 2lbs but nothing for 21 days please he

Replies

• harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is caused by being in a calorie deficit. Are you using a food scale and logging everything that you eat? With 20 lbs to lose healthy weight loss would be .5 lbs a week. That's not a lot of wiggle room for errors.
  • kellybelly21614
    kellybelly21614 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Yes I weigh everything and log everything! That 20lbs it just my first goal weight I would like to loose more after that!
  • harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Yes I weigh everything and log everything! That 20lbs it just my first goal weight I would like to loose more after that!

Have you been exercising more? Water weight might be masking the weight loss?
  • kellybelly21614
    kellybelly21614 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    harper16 wrote: »

Have you been exercising more? Water weight might be masking the weight loss?

I'm walking more and have started at home basic work outs due to covid all gyms are still closed i though I would have lost the water weight within the first few weeks!
  • 42firm03
    42firm03 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    This close to goal you will lose slowly, 1/2 pound or less/week, that combined with new exercise causing water retention you are very likely unable to see anything on the scale (extra water balancing out any fat loss).

Fat loss, even when we have more to lose, takes weeks to show on the scale, short term weigh ins only measure water changes.

Hang in there!
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Hello i did keto over 2 years ago and had amazing results then life happened hubby went on a really long deployment so was busy with 3 kids and fell off the wagon since then I have gained 20+ pounds and went into keto 3 weeks ago I have been tracking everything on my carb manager to a T I am 5’6 170lbs GW 150 to start with i stay under 1300 cals a day and under 25gs of carbs never hit my fat macros about 10gs or or so daily I feel good just in the last 2 weeks not a single pound lost im about to throw in the towel and accept being over weight the first time I had done this I lost 8lbs in two weeks I would care if it was only 1 or 2lbs but nothing for 21 days please he

When you first switch to a new diet, water weight fluctuations can mess with the scale for several weeks, especially if the diet change included a dramatic change in carb consumption. If you are sure you are in a deficit, just keep going.

Regardless of your previous personal experience, weight loss is rarely linear. Some weeks you lose a lot, some you don't lose anything, some weeks you might even gain a bit. If you have more than 20 lbs to lose, you are looking at a time frame of more than 6 months. So you really have no choice but to strap in, set up the good habits you need, and be patient.

It's also important to put some thought in now to how you will maintain your weight loss for the rest of your life. As you've experienced, keeping it off is often harder than losing it! And one big reason for that is people think a lot about what they are willing to do for the next 3 months to lose the weight, and not what they're willing to do for the next 30 years to stay at a healthy weight :smiley:

Good luck!
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

When you first switch to a new diet, water weight fluctuations can mess with the scale for several weeks, especially if the diet change included a dramatic change in carb consumption. If you are sure you are in a deficit, just keep going.

Regardless of your previous personal experience, weight loss is rarely linear. Some weeks you lose a lot, some you don't lose anything, some weeks you might even gain a bit. If you have more than 20 lbs to lose, you are looking at a time frame of more than 6 months. So you really have no choice but to strap in, set up the good habits you need, and be patient.

It's also important to put some thought in now to how you will maintain your weight loss for the rest of your life. As you've experienced, keeping it off is often harder than losing it! And one big reason for that is people think a lot about what they are willing to do for the next 3 months to lose the weight, and not what they're willing to do for the next 30 years to stay at a healthy weight :smiley:

Good luck!

THIS is exactly why I don’t do keto or any other “diet”. I eat the same things I ate before with some healthy additions that I don’t mind and I focus on portion size, exercise, and CICO. It’s a lifestyle change, NOT a diet.

• AnitaR1983
    AnitaR1983 Posts: 11 Member
    Options

Hey there. I do Keto as well not for long though. I am not sure if you have looked online. I like Dr. Berg on youtube. He answers the questions I have. Including about what you're describing. Also I loke dietdoctor.com becasue I can get new recipes and questions answered as well. I have been Keto maybe 2 weeks. Haven't lost considerable weight but it seems easy to me. I also do intermittent fasting. Good luck. If you need some support or motivation feel free to add me..I need it too☺