Eating with Allergies: Why calories don't work

Options
Hello. I have been allergic to certain acids, which are some contained in food since my 20's. I'm not allergic to 'food', but to underlying acids. For example, I am allergic to citric acid, which is used in shampoos, fizzy waters, etc. I'm a long-time label reader. My dietician recommended this cite, and I am coming here everyday, however I never meet the calorie count. I have swollen feet and ankles for about a year, but after 2 weeks back on my allergy diet, all swelling gone. Looking forward to hearing from others.

Replies

• clh15MFP
    clh15MFP Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your questions. When one has extreme allergies, they affect body swelling, which causes pain, which reduces activity, and weight gain results. If I east one piece of tomato (citric acid) I can gain 5 pounds. I had medical testing done to figure this out, and the result was: calories don't count. It is what I eat. I think everyone who is wanting to lose weight should have medical allergy testing done. I use this site, recommended by my dietician, mainly for the food diary, which I have never used before. It is making a difference: I celebrate 20 pounds disappeared today. Have you been tested?
  • Jacq_qui
    Jacq_qui Posts: 430 Member
    Options

I hope you can find some insight here with the food logging which will help you manage the swelling - it sounds very uncomfortable.

Citric acid doesn't produce an immune response >> https://www.aaaai.org/ask-the-expert/citric-acid-citrus-allergy and so it wouldn't show up in a skin prick test that most allergy testing uses, so allergy testing wouldn't be useful even for people who have citric acid intolerance. (Sorry I had to look it up, my kids have serious food allergies so this was interesting to me!) Citric acid must be in so many things as you know as a label reader, it's also used as a preservative! I'd recommend looking for allergy groups on facebook and see if you can find other people with it and see how they manage it.

Also I don' t think allergies would frequently be a barrier to losing weight, though it might make it more tricky to find foods across all the food groups though. What janejellyroll has said is spot on.

• Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    Wilson, I gave you a hug but there are babies and children born with food allergies. Deadly food allergies.
    Our mileage will always vary.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Diatonic12 wrote: »
    Wilson, I gave you a hug but there are babies and children born with food allergies. Deadly food allergies.

Thanks so much. I agree with you completely. In fact, the reason for my comment was that my allergist told me that there is a very, very small number of people who are "mildly" allergic to anything. You are or you aren't for the most part. Most everyone's bee sting and poison ivy looks about the same. People with peanut allergies risk death and don't get "hives" or a stuffy nose. They fall down on the ground and the life squad takes them away. But, people attribute all manner of irritations and dislikes to "allergies." I'm allergic to alcohol. When I drink it I get stupid and have a headache the next day.
  • wilson10102018
    Options
    jacqQ2017 wrote: »
    Diatonic12 wrote: »
    ...my allergist told me that there is a very, very small number of people who are "mildly" allergic to anything. You are or you aren't for the most part. Most everyone's bee sting and poison ivy looks about the same. People with peanut allergies risk death and don't get "hives" or a stuffy nose. They fall down on the ground and the life squad takes them away..

I ignored your first post, but I can assure you that people with peanut allergies can both risk death and get hives. (They can also have anaphylaxis and not die. And they can also throw up violently and roll around on teh floor in agony too) My two kids carry epipens so I feel like I can comment here.

You support my point exactly. Peanut allergy is serious, obvious and dangerous. There may be persons with mild symptoms. I have never heard of them but as I said above, they may exist, just a very small number. And, I am sorry for your burden. You are well qualified to speak to this.
  • wilson10102018
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Most food "allergies" are psychosomatic.

My epi pen begs to differ.

Do you know what the word "most" means?