Keto Diet

Options
I have recently started Keto any advice? I have yo-yo for years. I need to lose 65lbs

Replies

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Just like any diet, to lose weight you have to eat in a caloric deficit.

There is nothing magical about Keto compared to others, it just some people find it easier to adhere to.
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 40,321 Member
    Options
    I recommend joining this amazing group of people ........there is keto-ers, low carbers etc .

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum
  • CardinalComb
    CardinalComb Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I lost 65 lbs in 6 months doing keto and intermittent fasting. Good luck.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Don't forget to supplement electrolytes.
  • robertmuino
    robertmuino Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Im a big fan of keto. Sugar is god awful for our bodies. When your on keto first couple weeks may be rough, but after that you just feel so good. Good for Inflammation.. etc
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Im a big fan of keto. Sugar is god awful for our bodies. When your on keto first couple weeks may be rough, but after that you just feel so good. Good for Inflammation.. etc

A few things and i was doing keto so this is from direct experience.

Most of the anti inflammatory type foods are actually carb based (fibrous fruits and veggies, and beans) and foods high in omega 3s. Second, you can't ignore a dosage response when it comes to sugar. It's only a problem if you crowd out other important nutrients. Its not different than just consuming copious amounts of butter and processed foods. So just like with all diets, it can be implemented in a healthy or unhealthy fashion. If a person's keto diet is focused around fibrous fruits and vegetables, fish and other oily fish, nuts and seeds, and healthy unrefined oils like avocado and olive, then it can help with inflammation. Additionally, what is really bad for us is obesity, inactivity, excessive alcohol, and smoking. If you lose weight, regardless of how you eat, then you should see an improvement in your health.

OP, if keto blunts your appetite and you are ok with removing most carbs, then it can be a very effective diet. From experience, it definitely blunted my appetite and made it easy to not eat a bunch of calories. I ended up coming off of it because it hurt my gym performance too much. I am back to eating carbs (70-250g a day) and weight is coming off pretty easy.
  • silverpl2525
    silverpl2525 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Starting keto is hard, you have lots of cravings and sometimes headaches, insomnia, and other funny feelings. However once you reach a state of ketosis that goes away and you start losing weight. You need to be really careful to read the labels of the food you eat to minimize carbs, especially sugar. Also, lots of fruit don't work with the diet, which I don't like but that's the way it is. However, it's the only diet that has worked for me.
  • quintessential1
    quintessential1 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys and ladies for all your input. I'm on day four will keep you posted.