Low iron levels

Any suggestions for boosting iron levels. I’m tired of feeling exhausted. I do suffer from IBS so I’m aware that I can easily get deficiencies. Prescription iron made me sick and constipated so I’m not touching that. Basically just finding it sooo hard to diet as well as stay in a deficit. Every time I go into a deficit I get tired so I’m frustrated because I’m not going to see any results. I ate some gluten and sugar and lots of dairy in August which interfere with nutrient absorption especially iron because I’m always lethargic a few weeks after that. Probably triggered my IBS too. Ahhh, I know what to avoid. I eat red meat once a week and eat fish, eggs, nuts and seeds, dairy such as yoghurt and milk...should I increase red meat? I also eat spinach too.

Replies

• MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Iron supps come in different dosages. I take mine every other day (I alternate it with a multivitamin).

Perhaps chat with your doctor or pharmacist about strategies - from supps to nutrition - that could work for you?
  • xxzenabxx
    xxzenabxx Posts: 935 Member
    MaltedTea wrote: »
    Iron supps come in different dosages. I take mine every other day (I alternate it with a multivitamin).

Perhaps chat with your doctor or pharmacist about strategies - from supps to nutrition - that could work for you?

That’s fine but I wanted some diet related tips as well.
  • xxzenabxx
    Cast iron pan /lucky iron fish may add some iron into your diet while cooking.

Adding some vitamin C source with iron/iron rich food helps absorption.

Sone people seem to do better with fluid iron supplements (f.e. floravital) and have less adverse reactions.

What are your dietary restrictions due to IBS? Only gluten, sugar, dairy? Or anything else. - Would be awkward to recommend foods you cannot eat.

Yes those are my only restrictions. Even with dairy I can have small amounts of cheese and yoghurt. I’ve been over doing it on the dairy though so I’m cutting back now. Yeah I need to eat more fruit and veg, so I can get my vitamin C- definitely been slacking these days.
  • rawgeorgiana
    rawgeorgiana Posts: 2 Member
    Raw Living Spirulina will fix your iron quickly and it is the healthiest way possible.
  • BahstenB10
    BahstenB10 Posts: 227 Member
    edited September 2020
    Foods rich in iron include:

Red meat, pork and poultry
    Seafood
    Beans
    Dark green leafy vegetables, such as spinach
    Dried fruit, such as raisins and apricots
    Iron-fortified cereals, breads and pastas
    Peas

You can also try foods high in Vitamin C. Vitamin C is supposed to help with iron absorption:
    Broccoli
    Grapefruit
    Kiwi
    Leafy greens
    Melons
    Oranges
    Peppers
    Strawberries
    Tangerines
    Tomatoes

• Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    I take mega foods “blood builder” every morning and an iron supplement each night with vitamin c. However, red meat has been the only thing that really keeps my iron levels up.

I pick lean cuts and my cholesterol is good. My doctor said she take the trade of my cholesterol going up if my iron did and remained stable.
  • AshHeartsJesus
    AshHeartsJesus Posts: 460 Member
    Liquid chlorophyll you can buy it on amazon! I am VERY anemic and this works for me every time! My midwife suggested it and it works waaaay better then iron supplements!
  • xxzenabxx
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I just looked to see if you mentioned iron on other threads and found this:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10811235/this-is-my-story-and-how-i-plan-on-recovering-from-chronic-undereating

In addition to the fatigue you mention above, heart palpitations and brittle hair, among additional symptoms you mentioned on the other thread, can all be caused by iron deficiency.

If your iron is low enough to affect your heart, you need to get medical professionals involved, stat.

Now I get not wanting to take supplements. As I said, I ended up in Urgent Care after taking ferrous gluconate for a few days. But there are many forms of supplements, and iron bisglycinate is one that is more easily tolerated.

My iron was so low in June I had first a blood transfusion to get my levels up fast and then two iron transfusions over the next month for longer-lasting results, so those are possible options for you as well, depending on what your levels are - when was the last time you were tested and what were your results?

If you still want to get iron from food only, ask for a referral to a dietitian. But do get some tests and medical professionals involved ASAP.

Yes the symptoms do correlate with iron deficiency. I’ve been eating more red meat and fish and I feel much better. I’ve just been eating more food in general. The palpitations only happened on days when I under ate. Thank you I will look into the supplement as well! It’s very hard to see a dr right now unfortunately as I mentioned in the other post...let me try again and see what the surgery says.
  • xxzenabxx
    Liquid chlorophyll you can buy it on amazon! I am VERY anemic and this works for me every time! My midwife suggested it and it works waaaay better then iron supplements!

Oooh thank you! I’ll look into that as well.
  • xxzenabxx
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    I take mega foods “blood builder” every morning and an iron supplement each night with vitamin c. However, red meat has been the only thing that really keeps my iron levels up.

I pick lean cuts and my cholesterol is good. My doctor said she take the trade of my cholesterol going up if my iron did and remained stable.

Yess I’ve definitely upped the red meat to 2–4 times a week (which I like anyway). I didn’t realise but sometimes I would go weeks without red meat and I was eating more vegetarian.
  • Sakura_Tree
    Sakura_Tree Posts: 142 Member
    I would up your red meat intake, it's the best way the get iron. or liver but I can't stand the stuff myself. Also try to avoid foods that are high in Lectins(kidney beans, soy beans, wheat,peanuts,tomatos) as they can inhibit iron absorption. I eat red meat a couple times a week and whenever I go to donate blood my levels are always excellent.
  • silverpl2525
    silverpl2525 Posts: 138 Member
    I used to be anemic when I was vegetarian. I just started eating high-quality red meat a few times a week and that raised my levels to normal. I was grossed out at first but felt healthier. Also, I take a multivitamin everyday. I used to have to take supplemental iron as well...that's something you should still talk to your doctor about, and possibly a dietician if you access to one.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,886 Member
    We can give you better advice if you go to Settings:

https://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings

And swap something, perhaps Sugar or Sodium, for Iron.