Has your style changed as you've lost weight?

13»

Replies

• asthesoapturns
    asthesoapturns Posts: 313 Member
    I know I'm super late to the party, but I'll chime in.

My style has definitely changed since I lost weight. When I was bigger, I wore mainly dresses. You wouldn't catch me on the weekend wearing anything else. I would wear short dresses and even low cut tops with a skirt. Even in winter. I would wear a dress/skirt and boots without tights or anything. I even wore a spaghetti strapped summer dress to Christmas one year :D:# I felt I had to make up for being bigger by wearing "sexy" clothes. The only place I really dressed appropriately was work.

I realize I looked quite stupid, not sexy at all.

Now that I'm in a healthy weight range and am way more confident (and finally feel feminine), I dress weather appropriately. I rarely even wear dresses anymore to be honest. Now, I prefer shorts with a casual top (either "cute", or sometimes just a T-shirt) in the summer, pants with a cardigan or sweater when it's cold out, and maybe pants with a short sleeved top/cardigan during springlike weather. Though I have to admit that I love the sweater over or tucked into a skirt look during the winter (complete with extra thick tights to keep me warm :) ).

I also want to say, that I am trying to find my own personal style as being this weight is fairly new, and I only now feel very confident in dressing in a way that makes me feel comfortable, yet good about myself and cute at the same time.

It's funny because since I lost weight I've started wearing more dresses and more skirts. My pieces of clothing are more form fitted, less frumpy, better quality all together.
  • asthesoapturns
    asthesoapturns Posts: 313 Member
    I know I'm super late to the party, but I'll chime in.

My style has definitely changed since I lost weight. When I was bigger, I wore mainly dresses. You wouldn't catch me on the weekend wearing anything else. I would wear short dresses and even low cut tops with a skirt. Even in winter. I would wear a dress/skirt and boots without tights or anything. I even wore a spaghetti strapped summer dress to Christmas one year :D:# I felt I had to make up for being bigger by wearing "sexy" clothes. The only place I really dressed appropriately was work.

I realize I looked quite stupid, not sexy at all.

Now that I'm in a healthy weight range and am way more confident (and finally feel feminine), I dress weather appropriately. I rarely even wear dresses anymore to be honest. Now, I prefer shorts with a casual top (either "cute", or sometimes just a T-shirt) in the summer, pants with a cardigan or sweater when it's cold out, and maybe pants with a short sleeved top/cardigan during springlike weather. Though I have to admit that I love the sweater over or tucked into a skirt look during the winter (complete with extra thick tights to keep me warm :) ).

I also want to say, that I am trying to find my own personal style as being this weight is fairly new, and I only now feel very confident in dressing in a way that makes me feel comfortable, yet good about myself and cute at the same time.

It's funny because since I lost weight I've started wearing more dresses and more skirts. My pieces of clothing are more form fitted, less frumpy, better quality all together.

We all have different clothes and clothing styles that make us feel more confident. My style just happens to be a tad bit more casual. Also, I always just felt like I had to wear short dresses and low cut tops all the time in order to be seen as a girl by others. Like, if I didn't, other people would think otherwise. Irrational, I know, but I felt so masculine I was trying way too hard to make up for it. Not saying I don't like dresses and would never wear them again, I just prefer shorts and pants.

I also hear you on the form fitting less frumpy clothes. Those are the kinds of clothes I wear now, too.

Absolutely, everyone has their own look. Loud leggings with a skirt or dress is one if my signatures. Can't say any of my dresses are particularly short and I swear I'm allergic to cleavage XD. I still wear pants and leggings more than dresses alone. When I was at my highest I mostly just wanted to be invisible. Now I'd like to be invisible but since I haven't developed that super power I try to look put together.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Bolder, brighter. 'Tis the season for yoga pants. Yes, the best part about winter is yoga gear. I am related to Yogi Bear.

• nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    Honestly I rarely wear makeup, but that has always been so. I just don't put that much time into it. I'm a get out of the shower, brush my hair & put on deoderant then get dressed and go kind of person.

I tend to wear workout type clothes now in general. They are comfortable, and mean I can easily be ready to do something 'active' without any effort. I do make an effort to wear 'regular' bras, jeans, shirts from time to time because I know Hubs prefers it. And life is about compromise... And I do think I look better in jeans now than I used to lol.
    PKM0515 wrote: »
    Clothes, makeup, etc. Are you doing things differently? What are you loving? Any unexpected challenges?

• hmaddpear
    hmaddpear Posts: 610 Member
    I kept the colored hair, which I had started doing when fat because no one ever noticed me. Today I colored it bright pink and purple. For some reason, people just love it on older women. Other older women whisper to me they wish they were “adventurous” like me, young people give me thumbs up, or stop me to tell me they love it. I think it’s the whole “When I grow old I shall wear purple”. mentality.

Bonus: You just really don’t need makeup when your hair is candy colored.

I'm living for the day I have enough grey in my hair to start dyeing it bright colours! I've always had dark hair that resists bleaching.

I'm also picking up a more bohemian dress style - skinny jeans or leggings and long flowy tops. I love it.

• joyanna2016
    joyanna2016 Posts: 323 Member
    I've lost 38 lbs so far and the only style change I've noticed about myself is that I want to wear pants/jeans with slimmer legs. I bought my first ever pair of skinny jeans! It just seems that when I was larger I always filled out the legs of my clothes. I didn't have to think about how baggy the legs were. But now it's a big deal to me!
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,215 Member
    I don't think my style has necessarily changed but my preference for fit in clothing certainly has; I used to like things baggy and now I prefer things much more form-fitting, especially the more muscular I get.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,421 Member
    Total change of answer. Just discovered Korean (or Japanese?) Lolita style while randomly farting around on the net,

I may be old as dirt, but I LOVE this stuff!

And it’s long enough to hide a multitude of sins, baggy old lady knees included.

Calling @RelCanonical, our K-everything expert.......