Anyone cutting after a bulk?

Replies

• fuzzyguinan
    fuzzyguinan Posts: 2 Member
    Hi all. Not cutting as such but after a 20 year bulk, I have decided to drop some fat and see what I have actually managed to build. over lockdown I lost nearly a stone of muscle mass according to my scales, so trying to recomp to put that back on at the same time. I wonder if it's actually possible? Time will tell. Look forward to chatting to you all!
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,215 Member
    Hi all. Not cutting as such but after a 20 year bulk, I have decided to drop some fat and see what I have actually managed to build. over lockdown I lost nearly a stone of muscle mass according to my scales, so trying to recomp to put that back on at the same time. I wonder if it's actually possible? Time will tell. Look forward to chatting to you all!

14 lbs of lost muscle over just a few months seems unlikely. If the scale you reference does body fat via foot pads those are notoriously inaccurate. Even if it is correct, regaining muscle is quicker than gaining it in the first place.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    steveko89 wrote: »

14 lbs of lost muscle over just a few months seems unlikely. If the scale you reference does body fat via foot pads those are notoriously inaccurate. Even if it is correct, regaining muscle is quicker than gaining it in the first place.

Even then, it's more likely LBM which most is probably water.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon wrote: »
    Riding the struggle bus lately with vacations and life (thanks to virtual school). Setting a Halloween cut goal of 7 lbs (163 lbs). I did hit back to 170 after my weekend away. I am sure some is glycogen, water and food volume. After that, i should be about 3/4 lb a week weight loss.

Diet wise, i am only focusing on protein and fiber. So keto is our for a bit.

Trending pretty well. Already at 165. Weight has been falling off a bit faster than expected. Been through a few weeks of PT for my glute issues. Have started to incorporate more functional training for my lower body until i alleviate my issues. So not really following anything structured in the gym but still focusing on big lifts where i can and hitting a good amount of volume. Diet is a lot more flexible and running high carbs again (200-350). I do enjoy the additional flexibility of foods but i also get hungry a bit more.. so give an take. Overall, my look is a bit more impressive, even compared to the last time i was 164. The additional glycogen is probably the reason so i don't look flat.

Although my 10 year wedding anniversary is coming up in two weeks. Got a beach front room. Plan on having some really good food. Actually hoping to hit my weight goal by then and then by Halloween, get down to 160.
  • alexmose
    alexmose Posts: 792 Member
    alexmose wrote: »
    g9avz4fuozyp.jpeg

July 27 -> sept 5. I need a refeed. Obliques coming in, still weighing in around 107-109

Update that second pic ain't coming back at the end of the month. Gained about 2lbs. I doubt it's the creatine since I only started that about 5 days ago, but certainly maybe stress and, ok I had a few extra pieces of bread and butter, this week. Sigh* Fall bulk, am I right??
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Mr_Healthy_Habits Posts: 12,588 Member
    g9avz4fuozyp.jpeg

July 27 -> sept 5. I need a refeed. Obliques coming in, still weighing in around 107-109

Update that second pic ain't coming back at the end of the month. Gained about 2lbs. I doubt it's the creatine since I only started that about 5 days ago, but certainly maybe stress and, ok I had a few extra pieces of bread and butter, this week. Sigh* Fall bulk, am I right??

You look great either way 🙌🏼...

But on the creatine thing... I've taken it for years but always mixed it in a shake the night before drinking it... Then I read that you should actually drink it immediately after mixing it... So I started doing this and literally gained like 2-4lbs over a week or two and have not been able to get it off like I usually do..

I can't help but wonder if it was in fact the creatine or that extra cheesesteak sandwich 😬
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    g9avz4fuozyp.jpeg

Aww but yay for fall bulks, come join the dark side >:) hehe

Also I know you said it wasn't the creatine but that is one of the reasons I am so hesitant to take it I don't mind the scale jumping it's the possible bloat. I don't do well with bloat.
  • alexmose
    sardelsa wrote: »
    g9avz4fuozyp.jpeg

Aww but yay for fall bulks, come join the dark side >:) hehe

Also I know you said it wasn't the creatine but that is one of the reasons I am so hesitant to take it I don't mind the scale jumping it's the possible bloat. I don't do well with bloat.

Oof I feel kinda bloated today after eating a lot but I also moved a ton today! Did a quick 45 min fully body session (lighter for new meso), walker an hour, ran for 15 mins 😂, and did a light body weight 30 min session. Ultimately, I ate just over 2325 cals today, but only 10 cals over maintenance but I moved a lot today!! Will certainly see the weight of the food I ate on the scale tomorrow. Anyone else every move a ton, eat a ton, and wow you realize tomorrow is gonna be a huge scale jump??
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,081 Member
    g9avz4fuozyp.jpeg

Anyone else every move a ton, eat a ton, and wow you realize tomorrow is gonna be a huge scale jump??

No eating at maintenance would never make a huge scale jump unless I ate more salt or drank a tonne more water....eating in a surplus even does not make huge scale jumps if I am bulking (I recall having to eat more to be gaining on trend when I bulked last time)...what is a huge amount to you? On 2325 cals there would be no change in my weight....I guess it is all relative...
  • sardelsa wrote: »
    Since I finished up my cut I probably should share my results. I went from 132lbs to 128 from July to Sept. So not much of a loss but quite significant!

While I did start a new gaining thread:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10810663/time-to-gain-anyone-running-a-bulk/p1

Of course I will still check in here :)

Amazing difference for such a small change in weight! Great job.
  • psuLemon
    Since I finished up my cut I probably should share my results. I went from 132lbs to 128 from July to Sept. So not much of a loss but quite significant!

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10810663/time-to-gain-anyone-running-a-bulk/p1

Amazing difference for such a small change in weight! Great job.

Agreed!
  • alexmose

42btrfxrbs5o.jpg

dzm64u14ctbd.jpg

looking good!!
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness
    MidlifeCrisisFitness Posts: 1,106 Member

42btrfxrbs5o.jpg

dzm64u14ctbd.jpg

Incredible. Well done!
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Thanks everyone! :)

• Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Mr_Healthy_Habits Posts: 12,588 Member

42btrfxrbs5o.jpg

dzm64u14ctbd.jpg

Perfect either way honestly 💕
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,215 Member
    September was basically a wash, I’m back down an additional 0.3 lbs in trend through this morning. I intended to do a skulpt scan yesterday but the battery was dead so I’ll get new numbers soon but feeling like there’s some improvements to leanness and size. Workouts have been good but my sleep has been a little spotty; I usually fall asleep around 10pm and my alarm is set for 5 but I keep waking at 2-3am, struggling to fall back to sleep and then snoozing my alarm for an hour. As the graph indicates my diet adherence has lousy most of the month but reigned back in the last week or so.

5oj8mashyz9y.png