Depressed & Struggling

I’ve been on MFP for 6+ years and lost 15lbs last Summer in an effort to get super lean, which I did. I bought new clothes because my jeans/shorts/pants were too big. It was awesome and fun!

But now I’ve found myself (like MANY others) to be struggling mentally the past few months. As such, I’ve been eating my feelings and gained weight; not sure how much because I’m terrified to weigh myself. My self-control has gone into the crapper. I feel sad, I eat, I hate myself. Rinse, repeat. I’ve continued to log my food, although some days are more accurate than others. I still workout 6x/week.

Curious to know what others are doing to keep their spirits up and their weight down? Any encouragement would be much appreciated.

TL;DR - Sad and getting fat

Replies

• LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    1poundatax wrote: »
    I am sorry you are struggling. These are tough times for sure. Congratulations on working out 6 times per week, that is fantastic.
    To keep my spirits up I try to something I really enjoy every day. I don't watch too much of the news, I get summaries from other people. I try to remember that things have been difficult before and we have come thought them, we will get through these times as well.
    When it comes to eating I track my food honestly (a big change for me.) I try to make mostly healthy choices but when I don't I am forgiving of myself(another big change.)

Thank you for your response, it means a lot!

How do you refrain from watching the news? I know I should do the same, but I also have major FOMO.

How have you learned to forgive yourself if you overindulge?
  • LeanButNotMean44
    JessBbody wrote: »
    The main thing that's great is you're keeping up with your exercise. By all accounts that I've read, exercise is the best antidepressant there is. There are plenty of studies that point to regular exercise as being more effective than any drug on the market.

I think it would be a good idea to weigh yourself, just to know how much you've put on and how much you need to lose. That way, when logging your food, you'd be more aware of what calorie deficit you need. This might stick in your mind when you're considering over eating.

Also, perhaps working out in the morning might make you rethink what you choose to eat because you won't want to "blow" all that exercise with an excess of calories.

A lot of posts I've seen here suggest making room in your calorie budget for treats you like. Like, if you need to have ice cream once a week that's fine, just incorporate it into your budget.

Sorry you're struggling, I'm sure a lot of us can relate. I'm exercising not just to lose weight but also to keep my mood up

Thanks for sharing.

Thank you so much - I really appreciate your ideas!

I actually do workout in the AM - I like getting it out of the way early. Exercise does make me feel better. My SO and I have just started a 14 day quarantine after being out of Canada, so we’re stuck indoors. Certainly doesn’t help matters.

Sweets are a definite weakness for me. When my stepdaughter isn’t around there’s far less junk food, so maybe that’ll help.

You’re right - I need to suck it up and get on the scale. 😔

• LeanButNotMean44
    I got my hair done and it made me feel great. I had let myself go for several months. Once I had my hair done, I was inspired to dress nicer for work, do makeup and that led to me getting back on track. It sounds silly but it worked.

I just got mine done yesterday, lol.

My husband and I are wfh so there’s rarely a time when I have to wear pants, let alone get dressed up. 😜

Thank you for your response - stay safe!
  • JessBbody
    JessBbody Posts: 523 Member
    JessBbody wrote: »
    The main thing that's great is you're keeping up with your exercise. By all accounts that I've read, exercise is the best antidepressant there is. There are plenty of studies that point to regular exercise as being more effective than any drug on the market.

I think it would be a good idea to weigh yourself, just to know how much you've put on and how much you need to lose. That way, when logging your food, you'd be more aware of what calorie deficit you need. This might stick in your mind when you're considering over eating.

Also, perhaps working out in the morning might make you rethink what you choose to eat because you won't want to "blow" all that exercise with an excess of calories.

A lot of posts I've seen here suggest making room in your calorie budget for treats you like. Like, if you need to have ice cream once a week that's fine, just incorporate it into your budget.

Sorry you're struggling, I'm sure a lot of us can relate. I'm exercising not just to lose weight but also to keep my mood up

Thanks for sharing.

Thank you so much - I really appreciate your ideas!

I actually do workout in the AM - I like getting it out of the way early. Exercise does make me feel better. My SO and I have just started a 14 day quarantine after being out of Canada, so we’re stuck indoors. Certainly doesn’t help matters.

Sweets are a definite weakness for me. When my stepdaughter isn’t around there’s far less junk food, so maybe that’ll help.

You’re right - I need to suck it up and get on the scale. 😔

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10796095/what-youtube-workout-did-you-do-today#latest

This thread is full of great ideas for YouTube workouts you can do during your quarantine.
  • carriestrine
    carriestrine Posts: 214 Member
    I love the suggestion to go on a "news diet" I've bene finding it very helpful for my own depression and anxiety. I can understand your worry about FOMO, but trust me if the zombie apocalypse arrives... you will know 😂

I also struggle with food when Im depressed. I had a horrible habit of "treating myself" after a bad day. Now I've tried to come up with other ways to treat myself when I feel dumpy: like asking my husband to help with dinner, taking a bath, doing a work out I enjoy, or taking a walk.

I bet you feel a lot worse about your weight not knowing than you will after you stop procrastinating and just weigh yourself. You will see a number, then you will know the actions you need to take because you've done it before!!!!
  • I’m also on a news diet! I asked my husband to block all news sites on my phone and I am so much happier! I do check in with him occasionally to ask what’s going on, but he tried to only check once a week. I wonder if you could do the same with a friend, if you aren’t married. I haven’t missed it a bit!
    I also struggle with anxiety/ depression and it has made a huge difference.
  • I’ve been on MFP for 6+ years and lost 15lbs last Summer in an effort to get super lean, which I did. I bought new clothes because my jeans/shorts/pants were too big. It was awesome and fun!

But now I’ve found myself (like MANY others) to be struggling mentally the past few months. As such, I’ve been eating my feelings and gained weight; not sure how much because I’m terrified to weigh myself. My self-control has gone into the crapper. I feel sad, I eat, I hate myself. Rinse, repeat. I’ve continued to log my food, although some days are more accurate than others. I still workout 6x/week.

Curious to know what others are doing to keep their spirits up and their weight down? Any encouragement would be much appreciated.

• Sorry some how I reposted your post. 🤔 I understand how you feel I have gained 10 pounds and found myself in a rut but then I remember how big I was and how far I have come and I jump right back on the wagon. I won’t let myself get that big again. Remember you are worth every second you put forward trying to become healthy. Jump back on that wagon and move forward. You are worth it.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,344 Member
    edited September 2020
    Interesting how many posters did the same thing I did: stopped watching the news.

And stopped looking at Facebook. God, what a relief that was.

Another thing I did, which sounds really random and dumb, I started listening to a local podcast of a morning radio show that I hadn’t listened to for a while. I started in June, but with the March 14 podcast, the day it all started happening here.

Somehow, listening to it with an “I know what happens here” made me laugh and realize it wasn’t as awful as it was all made out to be. Like Monday Morning Quarterbacking in reverse.

The world hadn’t ended after all.
  • I’ve been on MFP for 6+ years and lost 15lbs last Summer in an effort to get super lean, which I did. I bought new clothes because my jeans/shorts/pants were too big. It was awesome and fun!

I'm a bit of the same. So re-starting my journey again. I guess if you plan only tomorrow as the perfect workout and diet day and do it. See how you feel at the end and next day even on the scale. And repeat.

Big hug.
  • LeanButNotMean44
    I’m also on a news diet! I asked my husband to block all news sites on my phone and I am so much happier! I do check in with him occasionally to ask what’s going on, but he tried to only check once a week. I wonder if you could do the same with a friend, if you aren’t married. I haven’t missed it a bit!
    I also struggle with anxiety/ depression and it has made a huge difference.

I am married, but my husband is reluctant to do something like what you mentioned. I actually deleted the Apple News app and replaced it with the AP app. Apple News just had a hodgepodge of crap - “Healthy 25 year old dies from COVID”, “Mother of 5 Mauled by Bear in Her Driveway as Kids Look on in Horror”. As if the virus stuff isn’t enough.

I’m still checking the news but not NEARLY as much.
  • LeanButNotMean44
    Sorry some how I reposted your post. 🤔 I understand how you feel I have gained 10 pounds and found myself in a rut but then I remember how big I was and how far I have come and I jump right back on the wagon. I won’t let myself get that big again. Remember you are worth every second you put forward trying to become healthy. Jump back on that wagon and move forward. You are worth it.

THANK YOU for sharing your healthy & positive attitude! ❤️
  • LeanButNotMean44
    Interesting how many posters did the same thing I did: stopped watching the news.

And stopped looking at Facebook. God, what a relief that was.

Another thing I did, which sounds really random and dumb, I started listening to a local podcast of a morning radio show that I hadn’t listened to for a while. I started in June, but with the March 14 podcast, the day it all started happening here.

Somehow, listening to it with an “I know what happens here” made me laugh and realize it wasn’t as awful as it was all made out to be. Like Monday Morning Quarterbacking in reverse.

The world hadn’t ended after all.

I had to step away from Facebook, too. The most mundane topics became political debates, I just couldn’t stand it. It’s been a relief and I may not go back to it ever.

I don’t think listening to podcasts is dumb! I love them and listen when I’m running. Of course, I haven’t been able to run for a couple of weeks (even before quarantine time) which has only added to my frustration.
  • LeanButNotMean44
    I’ve been on MFP for 6+ years and lost 15lbs last Summer in an effort to get super lean, which I did. I bought new clothes because my jeans/shorts/pants were too big. It was awesome and fun!

I'm a bit of the same. So re-starting my journey again. I guess if you plan only tomorrow as the perfect workout and diet day and do it. See how you feel at the end and next day even on the scale. And repeat.

Big hug.

Thank you - and likewise! 💕
  • Cj833
    Cj833 Posts: 10 Member
    I am struggling with something similar but I haven’t been able to maintain my exercise routine. I’m hoping having people to talk to will help get me out of a rut and out of the dumps. I think reading people’s stories and knowing others are struggling with similar things can help a lot.
  • charmmeth
    charmmeth Posts: 936 Member
    edited September 2020
    I think we are all struggling in these weird circumstances. I put on nearly 8 kgs (nearly 18lbs) between Easter and the middle of May, and was really down about it. As someone else has suggested, I found you-tube exercise videos a really good solution in lockdown with nowhere particuarly nice (i.e. non-urban) to walk and not being allowed to drive to better places. My go-to place has ended up being Bodyfit by Amy, especially her ten minute beginners videos which really got me moving again. I found that I could motivate myself to do one or two of those even if I could not face doing anything longer. I also have been enjoying Scottish Ballet's 55+ beginners' barre class video (and my feet are a lot stronger). I've worked up to doing longer videos over the past few months, but I found that it was better to start small than not to start at all. I'm down to below where I was at Easter now, so this has worked for me. On bad days I still often do Amy's 10 minute beginners cardio just to get me moving! Good luck!
  • LeanButNotMean44
    charmmeth wrote: »
    I think we are all struggling in these weird circumstances. I put on nearly 8 kgs (nearly 18lbs) between Easter and the middle of May, and was really down about it. As someone else has suggested, I found you-tube exercise videos a really good solution in lockdown with nowhere particuarly nice (i.e. non-urban) to walk and not being allowed to drive to better places. My go-to place has ended up being Bodyfit by Amy, especially her ten minute beginners videos which really got me moving again. I found that I could motivate myself to do one or two of those even if I could not face doing anything longer. I also have been enjoying Scottish Ballet's 55+ beginners' barre class video (and my feet are a lot stronger). I've worked up to doing longer videos over the past few months, but I found that it was better to start small than not to start at all. I'm down to below where I was at Easter now, so this has worked for me. On bad days I still often do Amy's 10 minute beginners cardio just to get me moving! Good luck!

Hey that’s great that you’re back on your game and have lost the weight! I should be taking this time to do yoga and improve my balance (I fall probably more than normal) but I’ve been lazy about it. I may check out the barre video you mentioned. Keep up the great work! 👏🏻