How clean was your diet while actively losing weight?

Replies

• dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    I don't subscribe to "clean" or "dirty" diet approaches or restricting things, but instead prefer to focus on what I can do more of.. eat more protein, get more activity, eat more vegetables and fruits, drink more water...etc...and when I do that, I tend to think less about the sweets and stuff because I'm trying to fit everything else in.

It's also possible that rather than "dirty" foods being your issue here, you may instead have found some of your trigger foods. I have a hard time keeping tortilla chips in the house, for instance, because I will grab a handful everytime I set foot in the kitchen. They aren't filling or satisfying, and I end up always wanting more. Those kinds of things I do have to limit buying.

Maybe you need to experiment with your macros a bit just to determine what truly keeps you satiated...
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    I hit my protein, try to get balanced nutrition in terms of vegetables, fibre, eat enough to hit my calorie goals. Done.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    Lost 40# by eliminating canned sodas and beer from my "diet." Use 2 stock my frig with 12/18 packs of each and just drink them like water, 6-8 cans (720-960 cals/day).

No wonder that I got fat!

Fell off the wagon once. Regained the 40# when I started drinking them again and then lost the weight when I stopped again

Haven't bought/drank any canned sodas/beer for 5 yrs and have been maintaining my wt effectively ever since by eating/drinking whatever I want, provided I log everything on MFP and weigh myself daily so that I can manage my food intake proactively.

• I just stay within my budget and eat small portions. I never liked the feeling of eating large ones. I am also debarred by medical issues from eating fruit and most vegetables, so I can't "eat clean" in the way most people do. And I've lost 47 pounds this year, despite COVID and a whole lot of life stress.
  • FibroHiker
    FibroHiker Posts: 338 Member
    I have this problem too. I did mostly clean eating while losing my weight. I just finished a weight loss challenge amongst friends on 09/18/20. In the week since then I've been more relaxed with my eating and drinking. I've noticed that I have felt more hungry then usual. I need to get back to what I was doing prior to 09/18/20.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,895 Member
    edited September 2020
    lakshva wrote: »
    I know that if I'm within my calories it won't matter. But I noticed that cleaner my diet lesser is my hunger. Then one day out of boredon I try to add in a treat. And suddenly I'm more hungry than never. And I surely end up going over my calories for the day.
    Those of you who successfully reduced a good amount of weight n kept it that way, how cleaner was your diet during that journey?

I've found I have to add treats after dinner, and after a dinner that includes a good amount of protein and bulk.

I used to shop at a garden center that had a candy jar, and I found that if I went there in the afternoon and indulged, I would be snacky for the rest of the day. OTOH, I'm having a half peach (77 g) now, and this will not trigger the same reaction.

In general, it's easier for me to create a calorie deficit when I focus on higher volume / nutrient dense food and am very judicious with hyper-palatable food.

Increasing protein, fiber, and fruit helps me a lot.
  • msjyotisingh
    msjyotisingh Posts: 3 Member
    On the basis of my personal experience, Clean eating could help in losing weight in the initial period of time, when you are trying to lose most of the excess weight. But in a later period, when you are looking forward to lean muscles and fit body, it doesn't help.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    If you feel hungrier it’s prob due to sugar spikes and less protein. I focus mainly on getting enough protein and veggies , then the rest falls into place.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,970 Member
    I don't "eat clean" but I do prefer if I am doing the cooking to use whole, fresh foods as much as possible (although I will use simple ingredient sauces/condiments from the store just to save time). If I am eating out, I do not generally "eat clean" and am not super strict about that outside of my own definition of what I consider to be a better choice for me on that day.

All that said, I found that the best way for me to not feel like I was starving or too restricted was following a "lower" carb diet (~100 or fewer 'net' carbs a day) more often than not. Veggies, meat, fats, but restricting/avoiding carb-based foods did the best for me to provide satiation and satisfaction in my meals.

I also don't say something is "never" allowed - it just has to be planned for.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    80 percent home cooked which is usually in the vicinity of some "clean" definitions.
    20 percent dirtiest food I can find.
    lakshva wrote: »
    I know that if I'm within my calories it won't matter. But I noticed that cleaner my diet lesser is my hunger. Then one day out of boredon I try to add in a treat. And suddenly I'm more hungry than never. And I surely end up going over my calories for the day.
    Those of you who successfully reduced a good amount of weight n kept it that way, how cleaner was your diet during that journey?

I am a strong advocate of keeping your hunger controlled through smart food choices. Continuous hunger is miserable and misery is no good. However, a rare round of hunger is going to happen and it is not an excuse to exceed your calorie goal. I have had superb hunger control most of the time in my last 2.5 years but 'most' is not 'all'. There are "hungry" days that are more mental than physical. This is habit hunger. Your treat activated a habit. This is a habit you cannot keep reaffirming unless you plan to eat whatever you think clean is for the rest of your life and even that is no guarantee.

If you are eating enough calories then hunger is not an emergency and cravings need not be satisfied. The autopilot in your head will kick and scream like a kid in a candy store but you need to know when to say "just a little", "not now - maybe in a few days", and "no". Sometimes the answer can be yes but not always.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    "Clean" is a pretty subjective term and I never really focused on anything like that. My focus was primarily just better nutrition overall in order to help with getting some surfacing health conditions under control.

My diet wasn't ever particularly horrible, but I didn't ever eat anywhere close to the recommended amounts of veg or fruit or things like whole grains from oats and other fibrous foods. My diet at large was lacking in essential vitamins and minerals as well as fiber, so I made it a point to increase those things rather than focusing on cutting out this or that.

From there, things just took their natural course...attempting to get the RDA of fruit and veg as well as incorporating plenty of oats, legumes, lentils, etc into my diet naturally caused other things to fall off, mostly because I felt full.

The only thing I deliberately made a point of cutting out was full sugar sodas. My diet overall became healthier as it evolved, but I also still enjoyed things like pizza night most Friday nights, or some pub grub here and there or a nice brunch or lunch at one of my favorite NM restaurants.

I've been in maintenance for 7.5 years, and my diet is pretty much the same as when I lost weight save for a handful more calories...ultimately, sustainability is what is key to long term maintenance of a healthy weight.