Intermittent fasting vs time of day?

I've read some studies and some discussions on here that women lose weight better in particular if they have their high amount of calories in the morning a medium amount of calories at lunch and a light amount of calories at dinner. I've also read that people doing intermittent fasting particularly the 16:8 schedule usually don't eat breakfast and fast until lunch time and then eat until well into the evening or night time. I was thinking of changing that up and eating breakfast light lunch lean dinner but moving everything up earlier. Has anyone experimented with different times of day and intermittent fasting? Does anyone know if it matters what time of day you fast?

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited September 2020
    Its all about the calories. I do IF / 16:8, I eat plenty during that 8 hour window, but I keep an eye on the calories too - because weight loss only happens if we take in less calories than we burn - there's nothing magical about Intermittant Fasting but it suits me perfectly, its my preference as I find it 'easy' to do.
  • phoenixrb35
    phoenixrb35 Posts: 23 Member
    Doberdawn wrote: »
    I've read some studies and some discussions on here that women lose weight better in particular if they have their high amount of calories in the morning a medium amount of calories at lunch and a light amount of calories at dinner. I've also read that people doing intermittent fasting particularly the 16:8 schedule usually don't eat breakfast and fast until lunch time and then eat until well into the evening or night time. I was thinking of changing that up and eating breakfast light lunch lean dinner but moving everything up earlier. Has anyone experimented with different times of day and intermittent fasting? Does anyone know if it matters what time of day you fast?

I suppose I practice intermittent fasting sometimes since I give space between meals: I give more space between larger meals and less space between smaller meals. I also tend to eat less earlier in the day since I workout in the morning, which is easier to do with just a cup of coffee with cream and sugar. But anything more than a cup of coffee would come back up during high-intensity exercise--I'm sure some of you have had that experience. And yeah I tend to eat more later in the day. Sometimes that can be one meal and cups of tea after work, around 3PM. Other times, that can be split up in several meals of different sizes from early afternoon, 12PM to 1PM, to around 6PM. But because of my sleep schedule, I tend not to eat after 6PM on weekdays. But honestly, I wouldn't call what I do a special diet program; I just give more space between larger meals and less space between smaller meals. I have even gone a whole day on just two cups of coffees if you want an idea of what I mean by giving space between larger meals. But that basically the gist of it--not overloading your body with excess food and still reaping the benefits and joy of nourishing and delicious meals that support you maintaining a healthy and happy physique.
  • AlfredW760
    AlfredW760 Posts: 2 Member
    doing 20 - 4 for 5 months, it has worked for me. tho getting harder as I get closer to my ideal weight.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,964 Member
    IF may work for your schedule and your personal preferences, and that's fine. But it doesn't matter what time of day you eat your calories. I lost all of my weight by eating about half my calories split between breakfast and lunch and the other half for dinner and an evening snack. So if you want to do IF just figure out what time works best for you since there is no right or wrong time and the "best" time will be the one that you are comfortable with.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    edited September 2020
    There is no body of research confirming that time of day, how many times, etc. makes a difference in weight loss or health over the long term. Do what works for you ... long term.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,881 Member
    Doberdawn wrote: »

Do you have links to those studies?