Does it matter when you eat ?

Hi,

I’ve been tracking my macros for a few weeks now. And I have a question.
Does it matter when you eat ? What I mean is, should the calories be evenly spread out through the day or can you have 2 large meals and no 3rd or only a small 3rd meal.

For years I’ve read that you can only digeste a small amount of protein at once. So is it a waste to have a leak with 40-50g of proteins ?

Replies

• dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited September 2020
    For weight loss, meal timing is really low on the importance scale. It's mostly about what makes you feel satisfied. Some people prefer one meal a day, others six small meals. Personally, I'm a three meals a day kind of gal. Hasn't affected my loss one bit and never has. The most important thing for weight loss is making sure you're eating your calorie goal and you're in a calorie deficit. You havent mentioned tracking calories here,, but thats certainly something you'll want to do. Fasting is absolutely not necessary.. Nutritionally speaking, of course, you want a good variety of foods, get enough protein, and get plenty of exercise if you're able.
    Good luck!
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,989 Member
    It doesn't matter at all as long as you are meeting your calorie goal.

You have to find what works best for you and keeps you happy and satisfied...some people find that eating small meals throughout the day is better for them. For others, a few larger meals works better. It does not matter.
  • the_stained_ape
    the_stained_ape Posts: 35 Member
    Too many schools of thought on this. All with their own studies confirming effectiveness. I have a more simple approach.

Time your calories when you need them. On waking, before/after training. Balance everything between.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,753 Member
    edited September 2020
    Here’s a study on timing of meals. It is interesting. https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamainternalmedicine/fullarticle/2771095?
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,994 Member
    weedspot wrote: »
    Hi,

I’ve been tracking my macros for a few weeks now. And I have a question.
    Does it matter when you eat ? What I mean is, should the calories be evenly spread out through the day or can you have 2 large meals and no 3rd or only a small 3rd meal.

For years I’ve read that you can only digeste a small amount of protein at once. So is it a waste to have a leak with 40-50g of proteins ?

It depends on your goals. If you just want to lean out, be a healthy weight and be fit then IMO, no it does not matter. If your goal is to "maximize" and or "optimize" your results and squeeze every last ounce of potential out of yourself then meal timing can play a factor. A small one but a factor none the less...
  • J72FIT
    tsazani wrote: »
    The timing of your meals is extremely important.

The best way to lose body fat is to not eat. It's called fasting. "Stop running and eat fat" is the way to go.

When you are fasting your insulin levels are low. Assuming you are not insulin resistant. Your body is eating itself. 90% fat loss and 10% muscle mass loss. You are in fat burning mode. Bodybuildrrs would say you are "cutting".

When you eat your insulin level goes up. Your body is in fat and muscle storage mode. Bodybuilders call this "bulking".

Minutia...
  • tquill
    tquill Posts: 300 Member
    Adkins -> Bernstein -> Carbs are addictive poison.

What makes carbs poison?
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Friendly reminder to keep the discussion civil and not get too tongue in cheek with your responses please.

Thanks,
    4legs
    MFP volunteer moderator
  • J72FIT
    Human beings do not need carbohydrates.

Maybe not to survive but one could argue they are needed to thrive...