I'm not losing ANY weight!

2»

Replies

• brandenocs
    brandenocs Posts: 146 Member
    Just by cutting calories, it takes a lot more time to lose than some good ole fashioned exercise. For starters, make sure you're only (or primarily) consuming clean, lean foods. Also find an online test to figure out what kind of tendencies your body has to figure out your body type. I found that counting and cutting calories didn't do jack for me. I'm a mesomorph with endomorphic tendencies. My metabolic rate is slower than most so the only way I was losing any weight was to really kick my metabolism into gear with hard, STRENUOUS exercise AT LEAST 4 days a week. Don't give up. It's a long hard road, with many bumps but make short term goals and without realizing it, you'll reach your long term goal in no time.
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Thank's everyone for your suggestions. I hardly ever eat fast food becuase it never fills me up. Usually save that stuff for long car trips.:smile:

I try to eat healthy and I think I've done a pretty good job. I like to have 4 or 5 meals a day. I even started to jog a bit yesterday and today!

:flowerforyou:

Do you like nuts? Almonds are pretty calorie dense and good for you! :wink:
  • Kdingo
    Kdingo Posts: 145 Member
    Try adding in a protien during lunch. Grilled chicken maybe?
    [/quote]

Thank's I will try that! :smile:
  • How do you view another members food diary? I eat the same things ALL the time and would love to get some new ideas! :happy:
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    How do you view another members food diary? I eat the same things ALL the time and would love to get some new ideas! :happy:

Just cick on someone's profile and there will be a "View Diary" button. Not everyone has theirs open though. :wink:
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Click on theri name, that will take you to their profile. If their diary is open there will be a green button marked "diary".

You can make yours open too, under settings.
  • shed67
    shed67 Posts: 3 Member
    Something I was told by a trainer. If your not eating enough your body will hold on to it because it thinks in starvation mode. You need fuel to burn calories. I was told never to drop below 1200 calories. i stay around 1350 per day. I and work out 5-6 days per week. I have been loosing about 1 pound per week. But I also only eat good food. I cut out all the junk food and fuel my body with healthy food. Hang in there and adjust your work outs and calories and you will loose. You just need the right number of calories and exercise.
  • Kdingo
    Kdingo Posts: 145 Member
    Just by cutting calories, it takes a lot more time to lose than some good ole fashioned exercise. For starters, make sure you're only (or primarily) consuming clean, lean foods. Also find an online test to figure out what kind of tendencies your body has to figure out your body type. I found that counting and cutting calories didn't do jack for me. I'm a mesomorph with endomorphic tendencies. My metabolic rate is slower than most so the only way I was losing any weight was to really kick my metabolism into gear with hard, STRENUOUS exercise AT LEAST 4 days a week. Don't give up. It's a long hard road, with many bumps but make short term goals and without realizing it, you'll reach your long term goal in no time.

Thank's for the advice! :smile:
  • 8rules
    8rules Posts: 169
    Cant see your food log.

Would bet you are eating more than 1200 a day on average as you have described binges both on starch and alcohol.

You can get away with binging once a week maybe but not every few days. Especially if you take huge carb (starch, sugar or alcohol) as your binge.

Also, exercise is a great buffer. Roll some in. A simple one hour walk 3 times a week is a great start and quite easy and refreshing.

Also, forget starvation mode and that bunk. If you are not feeling hungry, there is NO REASON to eat all 1200. Your body will alert you long before you are starving. And if you do get hungry, do not starch or carb load, as that just provides empty calories, and leaves you hungry again an hour later, also spiking your insulin and increasing insulin resistance.
  • rbloedow
    rbloedow Posts: 47 Member
    I'm going to agree with the above poster. 1200 calories is nothing - you're either starving yourself, or not being honest/dilligent when it comes to keeping track.

If you don't log your food 100%, you're wasting your time....and ours too.
  • Just a few tricks I've learned:

Eat when you're hungry. I find myself eating small 80-100 calorie snacks a few times throughout the day. It keeps your metabolism up and gives you energy. (A few suggestions: 1 stick of skim string cheese; 1/2 cup pretzels; fruit; sugar free jello/pudding for a sweet tooth attack).

Ditch your large dinner plates for awhile. Utilize a small, side plate for your meals and revert back to measuring for portion control. Just remind yourself what 1 cup, 1/2 cup, etc. looks like again.

ANY movement is better than none. Even on days when I'm tired and just want to lay on the couch after work I pull out some free weights and do bicep curls or triceps during a show and then crunches and lunges during commercials. Every little bit counts! Best of luck!
  • kimbk1
    kimbk1 Posts: 38 Member
    go into walmart and buy the long measuring tape used for fabrics. you can wrap it around your body easily. try to eat lean proteins and healthy fruits and veggies. are you drinking carbonated beverages?
  • kimbk1
    kimbk1 Posts: 38 Member
    have a friend or a sibling walk with you. it makes time fly by faster
  • shauna121211
    shauna121211 Posts: 575 Member
    You people and your not being able to eat enough! I don't get it!!!!! Okay I kid... I'll give you some real advise, but seriously... I just don't get it as I'm struggling to stay under 1400 and I eat back all my exercise calories which is typically around 600+!

Anyways, someone commented that you don't really have much to lose so my suggestion is to focus more on measurements than the scale. Grab a tape measure (just one is a cheap sewing kit is perfect) and measure up... waist, chest, breast, neck, arms, thighs, hips... etc. Okay once you've done that keep eating the healthy foods you are and maybe throw in some additional healthy snacks like a handful of nuts or a piece of fruit here and there. Make yourself some exercise goals! I just started Jillian Michaels 30 day shred and after 8 days, I've already lost a few inches! It's really amazing what a great workout routine can do for you. Now, with this being said, the scale hasn't moved heaps since I started the 30 day shred, but the numbers that matter the most are your measurements! Check out some of the exercise posts and read through to see what might be a good challenge for you.

Remember that change takes time! Don't quit so early. I'm not sure how involved you are with MFP, but I gain a lot more encouragement when I spend time on the message boards, add friend, join challenges, etc. Well, good luck and keep at it! You can do it! :D
  • Ifly4free
    Ifly4free Posts: 203 Member
    I have been doing this for 25 days and have not dropped a single pound. I am getting very discouraged as well. I think I may not be eating enough but with the foods I'm eating, I am not hungry. I actually weighed myself today since my weigh in day is Fridays and I gained a pound. I have been doing the 30 day shred and took 2 days off in 16 days, plus walking at a brisk pace almost every day and nothing! I do feel better, but I am not going to give up. It is only making me more determined.
    Off to run on treadmill for 45 min then do 6 week 6 pack abs!!

Good luck!
  • Kalrez
    Kalrez Posts: 655 Member
    I have been doing this for 25 days and have not dropped a single pound. I am getting very discouraged as well. I think I may not be eating enough but with the foods I'm eating, I am not hungry. I actually weighed myself today since my weigh in day is Fridays and I gained a pound. I have been doing the 30 day shred and took 2 days off in 16 days, plus walking at a brisk pace almost every day and nothing! I do feel better, but I am not going to give up. It is only making me more determined.
    Off to run on treadmill for 45 min then do 6 week 6 pack abs!!

Good luck!

Do you eat back the calories that your burn exercising every day? If your calorie goal is 1200 calories, and you burn 500 calories exercising, then you really ought to eat closer to 1700 calories (1200 + 500). You don't have to eat back every single one of your exercise calories, but it's good practice to eat back at least some. Think about it this way:

MFP has already cut your calorie goal down so that if you eat at your goal, you should lose weight. So you eat your 1200 calories for the day, and you burn 500 calories with exercise. That means that at the end of the day, you really only ate 700 calories (1200-500=700). 700 calories is too few to sustain healthy weight loss.
  • brandenocs
    brandenocs Posts: 146 Member
    Another thing I forgot to mention... MFP isn't perfect. If you check your goals, not only does it count your calories but also defaults to a 55/25/20 thing where 55% of your diet is carbs, 25% is fats and 20% are proteins. That may not be right for you. Carbs are my enemy (my delicious enemy, but an enemy none-the-less). I had to customize my goals and switched myself to a 40/40/20 where 40% is from protein, 40% is carbs and 20% is fats. And ONLY healthy, natural fats like plain nuts, the occasional egg yolk, etc.

Another good thing to look at (which I was HORRIBLE at, at first) is condiments... Even if you're eating healthy foods, if you cover them in condiments like ranch, honey mustard, etc, it's totally counter-productive. That was hard for me at first so rather than going cold turkey, I'd follow recommended serving sizes then wean them out. You'll find for condiments especially, it's much smaller than you actually use. Usually a tablespoon or so which isn't much.
  • russellma
    russellma Posts: 284 Member
    I'm certainly not an expert, but I was having trouble like you. One of my friends suggesting raising my calorie limit and exercising back some of them. Another friend's doctor suggested 30 grams of protein for breakfast.

So, I raised my calories to 1380 (1/2 lb. per week) and have been trying to get in around 20 grams of protein first thing in the morning, and I have been making slow progress, but am thrilled to be making any progress at all!
  • I try to eat healthy. Eggs usually for breakfast. Pita, hummus and cucumber for lunch and usually something like chicken and veggies for dinner. Snack is usually 100 calorie popcorn and apple juice...:smile:

Maby you need to change what you are eating your body might be craving a change...
    Swap you lean protiens around, try veggies you normally wouldn't try???
    Water Water Water I personnally had a big issue with getting my water so I started 1 cup a day...
    Hang in there.....
This discussion has been closed.