Unexplained weight gain -- frustrating!

Options
Well guess I spoke to soon the other day when I was 1/2 a pound away from being the 200's for the first time since high school.

Somehow I'm all the way up to 305 today - just a few short days later.

Been eating at or under my calories every day.

No idea what the hell happened but not happy about it. Was very hard to see the scale move that far in one day in wrong direction. Normally now is when I would quit - but I am going to keep pushing and hope it doesn't keep moving the wrong way for me.

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Well guess I spoke to soon the other day when I was 1/2 a pound away from being the 200's for the first time since high school.

Somehow I'm all the way up to 305 today - just a few short days later.

Been eating at or under my calories every day.

No idea what the hell happened but not happy about it. Was very hard to see the scale move that far in one day in wrong direction. Normally now is when I would quit - but I am going to keep pushing and hope it doesn't keep moving the wrong way for me.

How do the measurements compare, where have they gone up?
  • Rannoch3908
    Rannoch3908 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    How do I take measurements? Like with a tape measure?
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 40,612 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Could your scale need new batteries? Is your scale missing feet on the bottom of it? My old scale was off by 10lbs ..I thought I had lost 44 lbs ...when I got my withings scale I had only lost 33 still not bad but I like the 44 better .... Wishing you the very best :)
  • gdreeves1774
    gdreeves1774 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    First: only use 1 scale. My gym has 2 scales and they are 2 lbs apart. I go by my home scale. Make sure you have new batteries if it's electric. I normally weigh myself at the same time every WEEK (saturday mornings) Depending on how much you ate/drank it can affect it just by not being digested
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    It happens to many of us. Don’t give up! One of these days you’ll have a big woosh. Keep on doing what you’ve been doing. It will get better. Stick the course, you’ll see!
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    Do you weigh at the same time of day, in the same level of clothing? Such as first thing in the morning, after using the bathroom and before eating or drinking? If one weigh in was later in the day after food/drink then the two data points are not comparable.

Did you start a new or more intense workout in the past couple of days? Do you have any muscle soreness going on? Did you eat higher than usual yesterday in sodium or carbs?

These are just some examples of the variances possible.
  • Rannoch3908
    edited September 2020
    Options
    I weigh in the same exact clothes at the same exact time every other day.

Only eating within calorie goal.
    No exercise really yet - occasionally walk the dogs around block.
    I eat the exact same thing every single day (meal plan breakfast, lunch, dinner for the week).
  • charmmeth
    charmmeth Posts: 936 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Your weight will go up as well as down, and the variation can be several pounds. I have found it really helpful to keep a track of my average weight in each month so that I can see my overall trend. That makes it less worrying when the daily weigh-in (or every two days) goes up. There are apps that can do that for you, but I set up a spreadsheet.
  • stevehenderson776
    stevehenderson776 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    charmmeth wrote: »
    Your weight will go up as wel las down, and the variation can be several pounds. I have found it really helpful to keep a track of my average weight in each month so that I can see my overall trend. That makes it less worrying when the daily weigh-in (or every two days) goes up. There are apps that can do that for you, but I set up a spreadsheet.

I do the same thing, except weekly.
  • Kait_Dee
    Kait_Dee Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    It took me 18 months to lose 115lbs and it was a constant yo-yo feeling. I do a weekly average and use that now (as a competitive bodybuilder) - it's made an ENORMOUS difference instead of looking at and lamenting the daily scale weight.
  • Rannoch3908
    Options
    This chart says a lot and helps prepare me for what is ahead.

Maybe I should just weigh in every 1st of the month or 30th of the month or something.

I just like seeing the results - it helps me stay on track and makes me want to keep going.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,721 Member
    Options

Maybe I should just weigh in every 1st of the month or 30th of the month or something.

I just like seeing the results - it helps me stay on track and makes me want to keep going.

I could pick out times in my weight loss when if I picked just the wrong dates a month apart, I'd still think I wasn't losing, when I was.

The chart above is spot on. Different people do best with different weigh-in schedules, but what works best for me is daily, because fluctuations don't stress me out (I know they're random), and it helps me understand how my body behaves in varying conditions.

Even when eating and exercising in the same way, there are ways scale weight can do unexpected things. Examples: Seasonal allergy. Fighting off a minor infection/virus. Constipation. Hot weather. Air travel. And much, much more.

If you haven't read it, this article would be informative, and maybe calming:

https://physiqonomics.com/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-weight-and-fluctuations

If your eating and exercise is on point, the results will show up on the scale eventually.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options

Weighing once per month may work for some, but it was a disaster for me, lol.

Are you using a trending app like Happy Scale? These smooth out the fluctuations. The important thing is not any individual weight, but the trend, or, if you use Happy Scale, that you are in the green.