Brown Rice

Hi everyone.... I am having trouble with making brown rice... I can for the life of me get it right... can someone give me some pointers... pleaseeeeee 😁 tia

Replies

• MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Well, first: what's going wrong?

Too dry? Too soggy? Little flavour?
  • Opppps sorry I forgot too add that part... I tried boiling the bag first... it was too hard. Then the second time it was hard in the middle but mushy on the ends. I used too make Mexican Rice with white rice, oil, tomatoes, and a onion...
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    edited September 2020
    Boiling the bag? Sous vide rice?! (...does some research...)

Oh, like converted rice? I hope someone can help you with this one as I'm not familiar with these types of rice/s. I just boil in a pot.

Hope you get the hang of it though...brown rice is TASTY!!
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    I always sautéed the rice in a TBSP of oil or butter on medium heat until fragrant (couple of minutes) add the liquid. Bring to a boil. Lower heat to low. Cover. Cook for time recommended on package. I think it’s about 40-45 minutes for brown rice. Remove from heat and let sit for 10 minutes covered. Fluff with fork and serve. I do this with all rice following the recommended cooking time on the package. Always turns out fluffy.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    I use a multi-pot on pressure cook for 23 minutes to be a bit "al dente". I also cover the bottom of the pot with coconut oil so it won't stick. Comes out great every time. Brown rice takes longer to cook than white, about an hour I think on the stove top.
  • SallyLuvsFitness
    SallyLuvsFitness Posts: 13,724 Member
    I use a multi-pot on pressure cook for 23 minutes to be a bit "al dente". I also cover the bottom of the pot with coconut oil so it won't stick. Comes out great every time. Brown rice takes longer to cook than white, about an hour I think on the stove top.

Moosie - that sounds so yummy!! I need to try it.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,451 Member
    My first question is do you even LIKE brown rice? Cause white rice is so much easier to make and goes with just about anything. If nutrition is the issue, white and brown rice are about the same in calories, brown rice DOESN'T have any more significant fiber than white rice, and brown rice even has phytates with can interfere with absorbing certain nutrients. Just food for thought.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,493 Member
    Opppps sorry I forgot too add that part... I tried boiling the bag first... it was too hard. Then the second time it was hard in the middle but mushy on the ends. I used too make Mexican Rice with white rice, oil, tomatoes, and a onion...

Are you talking about actual "boil-in-bag" rice like Uncle Ben's or Success? If so, I put a bag in a two quart CorningWare container, add water to about 2/3 of the way up, and microwave for 10 minutes. Comes out perfectly every time.
  • Thx everyone for all your help... Going to experiment.... 😜
  • iancity
    iancity Posts: 26 Member
    Genuine question ninerbiff, I always thought brown rice was 'healthier', and a very quick google suggest it is - are you saying its not?

"Brown rice is a whole grain. That means it contains all parts of the grain — including the fibrous bran, the nutritious germ and the carb-rich endosperm.

White rice, on the other hand, has had the bran and germ removed, which are the most nutritious parts of the grain.

This leaves white rice with very few essential nutrients, which is why brown rice is usually considered much healthier than white"
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    iancity wrote: »
    Genuine question ninerbiff, I always thought brown rice was 'healthier', and a very quick google suggest it is - are you saying its not?

"Brown rice is a whole grain. That means it contains all parts of the grain — including the fibrous bran, the nutritious germ and the carb-rich endosperm.

White rice, on the other hand, has had the bran and germ removed, which are the most nutritious parts of the grain.

This leaves white rice with very few essential nutrients, which is why brown rice is usually considered much healthier than white"

For the quantity of rice most of us are eating, these aren't huge nutritional differences. Look at the actual nutritional differences between the two types of rice and you'll see what those of us making this argument mean.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,451 Member

It's "healthier" by a small margin. Did you bother to look at the actual nutrition if you compared them side by side?

The amount of brown rice you would have to eat to completely trump white rice (if eating the same amount) would be quite a bit.

And "healthier" is an objective term when it comes to food. A steak per ounce isn't "healthier" than a hamburger patty. It just has less fat. And you can eat just hamburger meat and be "healthy".

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/28274454/

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/25952874/

You choose. You decide.

Let's take a look at actual numbers, starting with the calories and macros:

This will look wonky but you'll get the drift.

Nutrient White Rice Brown Rice

Serving size per 1 cup/ 174 g per 1 cup/ 195 g
    Calories 169 216
    Carbs (g) 36.7 44.8
    Fiber (g) 1.7 3.5
    Protein 3.5 5.0
    Fat (g) 0.3 1.8
    Saturated (g) 0.1 0.4
    Mono (g) 0.1 0.6
    Poly (g) 0.1 0.6
    Omega 3 (mg) 5.2 27.3
    Omega 6 (mg) 115 603

https://legionathletics.com/brown-rice-vs-white-rice/

Read the bottomline: Not much difference
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    edited October 2020

For the quantity of rice most of us are eating, these aren't huge nutritional differences. Look at the actual nutritional differences between the two types of rice and you'll see what those of us making this argument mean.

I have to say though that, subjectively, I find brown rice more filling. More so than the (pretty small) difference in fiber would suggest. Maybe it's because of the texture.

I eat white rice more often because it works better in pilafs, but for plain rice I use brown because of this.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member

Compare the nutrition side by side...there's is a negligible difference and certainly not any kind of difference to the magnitude of one being much healthier than the other. I'm looking at a bag of white mahatma and brown mahatma...the difference between the two is 1 gram of fiber and 2 grams of protein.

Whether white or brown, rice is pretty much a starchy filler...I really wouldn't look to rice of any kind for nutritional density of macro or micro nutrients.