possible high blood pressure

Options
saynow111
saynow111 Posts: 125 Member
edited April 2020 in Health and Weight Loss
i may be stage 1 high blood pressure or in the boundry i have 24 kgs of extra fats i am losing them now but it will take some time
i am not capable of doing vigrous sports like running or lifting weight becouz of some health issues
i only do jumping jacks and sit ups and walking are they enough in the fight against high blood pressure ?

Replies

• saynow111
    saynow111 Posts: 125 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    If your doctor was the one to diagnose you with high blood pressure they likely would of discussed with you what you need to do to improve it, be it diet and exercise or medications

pls enough doctors
    i have enough doctors working on never solved issues and taking their lifelong medication
    i dont like conventional medicine
    thank you everybody for insights
    sorry for medical question
    here is not the right place
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    My cholesterol readings are always better than perfect, but the blood pressure is gradually creeping upwards over the last two years. Higher than ou t was, but not yet high enough for doctor's concern.
  • ElioraFR
    ElioraFR Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I don’t know your age but I think age also has been known to commonly increase BP over time for pretty much all humans. So if you are over 65 any increase in activity, even walking 30 minutes for 5 days a week and low salt intake plus eating less will usually bring it down. Best wishes.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    I have borderline high BP as well and take medication for it. At the moment my doctor and I have discussed seeing if losing more weight will help (Im 175 lb and 5'5"), so I'm trying that route. Both of my parents have high BP, though, so the weight loss is not necessarily a guarantee. I may just be doomed to have it no matter what. Either way, I would agree though that for your personalized health case, your doctor is the best person to answer these questions.
  • TonyB0588
    Options
    ElioraFR wrote: »
    I don’t know your age but I think age also has been known to commonly increase BP over time for pretty much all humans. So if you are over 65 any increase in activity, even walking 30 minutes for 5 days a week and low salt intake plus eating less will usually bring it down. Best wishes.

Thanks very much. About 10 years short of 65, but I guess your advice still applies.
  • TonyB0588
    Options
    I have borderline high BP as well and take medication for it. At the moment my doctor and I have discussed seeing if losing more weight will help (Im 175 lb and 5'5"), so I'm trying that route. Both of my parents have high BP, though, so the weight loss is not necessarily a guarantee. I may just be doomed to have it no matter what. Either way, I would agree though that for your personalized health case, your doctor is the best person to answer these questions.

You're correct, and it wasn't a self diagnosis. But they aren't suggesting.medication yet, so I guess the exercise and diet route is it for now.
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    My BP came down nicely after I lost 30 lbs and when it was rechecked after I'd lost 70, it was lower still. But I still need BP medication. You may not be into doctors, but only a doctor can help you navigate BP treatment. It isn't something you can do on your own, other than eat right (low sodium) and exercise. And low carb. Carbs cause even more water retention than sodium. Sodium does not increase BP; retained water does. Don't forget that second tool at your disposal to control water retention - paying attention to carbs.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    Cardio and losing weight will help. I was borderline diabetic when I started losing weight 10 years ago (I'm 56 in a few weeks). I had never done significant cardio in my life. I was a decent athlete as a kid but never did endurance sports. I actually thought I had exercise induced asthma as a kid, likely just because I was so out of breath when I'd do any running over 1 mile.

Work on your cardio. Whether walking or on exercise bikes, whatever you can do. I started walking, then jogging, but I've also done spinning, stationary bike, elliptical, rower and Fan bikes. I've gone from someone that struggled to walk 1 mile to someone that does cardio six hours a week.

Last time I went to the doc (last year) for a checkup, the medical assistant freaked out. I didn't know why and got worried. Seems my BP was like 110 over 55. She hadn't seen that in someone my age and told the doc she thought I was passing out and my BP was dropping. The doc knew my workout regimen and laughed. He told her that mine was just what an "ideal" BP should look like from someone that was optimally fit. That felt really good.

If I could do it (I have an awful right knee), you can. Just start out slow and walk more. Gradually build up to an hour a day. Lose weight. Those two things will help you tremendously.
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I had issues with high blood pressure in my 20's and was obviously not keen to take meds if I could avoid it.
    I researched and came across advice on the British Blood Pressure association website that 7-10 portions of fruit and veg a day can help to lower your blood pressure.

So that's what I did. Within 6 months it was back in the normal range. I can't remember the science now about why, and part of it would have been it crowded out other stuff so I lost a bit of weight.

I would suggest it's worth a go, for most of us more fruit and veg is a good thing anyway, and is unlikely to do any harm.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    ElioraFR wrote: »

BP with age can happen but don't make that an excuse for not eating right and exercising. I'm in my 60's BP is typically 117/77 (no meds). My parents both had high BP so I'm not picking up some genetic help.
  • Dreamwa1ker
    Dreamwa1ker Posts: 196 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Definitely keep in touch with your doctor, but if it provides some reassurance, sometimes it can be done. I was on very low dose BP meds after birth of my child (I had complications of pre-eclampsia, and my BP didn't return all the way to normal after - I also still had weight on upper end of healthy range for my height, and a family history of high BP on both sides). I started walking at least 10k steps a day brisk pace and tracking calories on MFP so as to lose 30lbs over about 10 months, and eating more fiber with less saturated fat (inspired by DASH diet which is designed for lowering BP and recommended by American Heart Association). I was able to get completely off my meds and am still maintaining that. But there are lots of factors that can affect BP, including genetic factors. My parents had high BP young like me (strong family history) and have been able to get off meds at various points, but as they've aged despite healthy lifestyle and exercise they've had to go back on at least a low dose.

Get a BP cuff and monitor it daily - BP is called the silent killer, and it hurts your kidneys and other organs and other health risks if it's unmanaged. Listen to your doctor if they recommend low dose meds while you work to try to get it managed longer term through lifestyle.