MFP vs. WHOOP

Which, do you feel, offers a more accurate number in terms of BMR/calories burned?

Replies

• nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    I've not heard of WHOOP and when I googled it, I see its a membership starting at $30. Personally I like 'free'.

But keep in mind, there are established formulas for BMR. And multiple methods to estimate calories burned. But these are figures based on an 'average' person, so won't be 100% perfect. Its a matter of picking a method, tracking results over time, and adjusting based on the data gathered.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    You're comparing apples to oranges here. It appears that WHOOP offers HRM and is basing calorie burn estimates on that. MFP's calorie estimates come from a database of exercises that are estimates based on your perception of effort and population level information.

For many activities, HRM-based estimates are going to be more accurate.

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    edited October 2020
    I've not heard of WHOOP and when I googled it, I see its a membership starting at $30. Personally I like 'free'.

But keep in mind, there are established formulas for BMR. And multiple methods to estimate calories burned. But these are figures based on an 'average' person, so won't be 100% perfect. Its a matter of picking a method, tracking results over time, and adjusting based on the data gathered.

lots of good points in this post

If you are concerned about the goal you are given then a quick google search will give you links to all sorts of calorie calculators and you can run your numbers through them to see if you feel the MFP numbers are appropriate for you. In my experience all calculators give you similar numbers.

This is one I like to use: https://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

realize the "Daily calories based on goal in step 6" is calculated based off of a % of weight lost a week, not you selecting 0.5-2 lbs like MFP. MFP is also based on a NEAT method where you set your calorie goal based on basic activity level and log intentional exercise. Scooby uses a TDEE method that accounts for all movement in the calculation and you eat the same amount every day. Either method can work well, and you can easily manually set your goal in MFP and use a TDEE method, that is what I personally do because I prefer the consistent calorie goal.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    If it's true it's using HRM for what you say are BMR calories - MFP gets vote then.
    Vast majority fall with the 5% of calculated if not in a diet or other confounding known factors.
    Even those with thyroid problems do (it's their TDEE that is a tanked).

You read any white paper on HRM manufacturers - they'll say HRM calculations are not appropriate even for daily activity levels, let alone not BMR. Hence they use calc's.

"3.1 Resting energy expenditure
    The resting energy expenditure estimate in Polar
    Smart Calories is based on the Schofield equation [4]
    which has been modified according to Polar’s own
    research results. The basis for estimating resting
    energy expenditure is that the size of a person (weight
    and height) determines the required energy to
    maintain vital operations. Age and gender are also
    taken into account in the calculation. "