Rate my routine

Hi all! Just looking for some tips and advice from some seasoned and experienced weight lifters. Here is my routine weekly. I do A and B on Monday Wednesday and Friday one week then reversed the following week I.e. Monday A, Wednesday B, Friday A. Tuesday and Thursday mornings are arms. Those afternoons are interval runs then finally Saturday is for the core.

Workout A
(5 sets, 10-12reps)
Last set AMRAP
-bench press
-barbell row
-dumbbell squeeze press
-tricep pulldown
-barbell curls

Workout B
(5 sets, 10-12reps)
last set AMRAP
-squats
-barbell hip thrusts
-overhead press
-dead lift
-leg press

Arm Day Tuesday/Thursday morning
(5 sets 10-12reps)
Wife grip barbell curls
Close grip barbell curls
Lying tricep press
Tricep push down
Reverse tricep push down
Overhead press
Dumbbell incline row

Core Saturday
(3 sets of 10)
Dumbbell plank drag
Dumbbell side bend
Hanging knee raises
(3 sets of 30 rep/sec)
Flutter kicks
Sit ups
Russian twists
Bicycle crunches
Glute bridge

Replies

• cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    If you want to follow a split like that, I suggest Stronglifts 5x5.
  • the_stained_ape
    the_stained_ape Posts: 35 Member
    Personally, wouldn't recommend squat and deadlifting in the same session.

Both are potential heavy lift movements and really require their on focus.
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member

Both are full body movements and can go in the same workout, but being able to do them at the same intensity would be tough due to their more demanding nature. It depends on the OPs goals as to whether they should be done on the same day though.
  • Personally, wouldn't recommend squat and deadlifting in the same session.

I squat and deadlift in same session. No problems. Lots of programmes have squat and deadlift on same day
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    What's your goal and training level?

If your goal is strength-building, you can do a lot better with a program with mostly compound exercises - squat, bench, press, deadlift, and rows - with fewer accessory lifts.

If you're a beginner - by which I mean you can do a full-body workout every two days AND add weight to the bar every session - it's far more efficient to pick a linear progression program such as Stronglifts, PHUL, or Starting Strength.

If you're an intermediate - by which I mean you can't add weight to the bar every session but can weekly - you're heading into a heavy-light-medium (HLM) or volume-light-intensity (VLI ) programming. For instance, heavy day is 1x5 with 101% of your previous week's five-rep max (5RM), light is light is 2x5 with 75% estimated 1-rep max (e1RM), and medium is 5x5 with 85% of your e1RM.

If you're an advanced lifter - weekly and biweekly 1RM increases are no longer possible - you'll be knowledgeable enough to design your own programming.
  • wiigelec
    wiigelec Posts: 503 Member
    what are you trying to accomplish?

M
    squat + accessory lifts

W
    bench + accessory lifts

F
    deadlift + accessory lifts

keep T Th S as you like
  • the_stained_ape

I squat and deadlift in same session. No problems. Lots of programmes have squat and deadlift on same day

Like I say, I wouldn't recomment, not that you MUST not :)

When considering planes of movement, Deadlifts are hip dominant, where Squats are quad dominant. If you're moving good weight, you really should consider splitting as it gives you a fuller workout routine covering all 6 planes of movement.
  • CipherZero
    When considering planes of movement, Deadlifts are hip dominant, where Squats are quad dominant. If you're moving good weight, you really should consider splitting as it gives you a fuller workout routine covering all 6 planes of movement.

Utter bollocks. A single workout's movements through the "six planes of movement" are irrelevant. The total programming matters.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member

Nope.

Define heavy lift.

Please post one credible citation that shows deadlifting and squatting require different days for "focus".

• wiigelec
    wiigelec Posts: 503 Member
    i don’t mind doing heavy deadlifts on light squat days or heavy squats on light deadlift days but doing heavy deadlifts and heavy squats on the same day doesn’t work very good for me...

*heavy = rpe > 8, light = rpe ~ 6-7
  • sal10851
    sal10851 Posts: 171 Member
    Wow!!! The fitness community is so misguided it's rather silly! Just go somewhere else before you end up hurting yourself by listening to these block heads. There is people who know what they are talking about on this particular site and that's 0.05% of the users. Just lift harder than freakin last time! How hard? Harder than last time! How heavy? Heavier than last time! It's not that hard bro. If you are not seeing results is because you are not trying hard enough or lifting heavy enough or dieting hard enough to lose the layer of fat covering your abs. If you can't see your abs your fat!!!! Sorry. Truth hurts!
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,427 Member
    Without knowing the OP's goals seems like 'arm day" is overdone in relation to other bodyparts.
  • the_stained_ape
    Chieflrg wrote: »

Nope.

Define heavy lift.

Please post one credible citation that shows deadlifting and squatting require different days for "focus".

Creditble citation.... Really? Read my previous post again

"Like I say, I wouldn't recomment, not that you MUST not:)"

If you Squat heavy in a session, I mean where the you're not reaching your rep goal (failing 6/8 as an example), you will have some level of muscle fatigue. Could you seriously Deadlift to the same standard (Heavy) if done in the same session as you would is they were done on seperate days?

Again, only my opinion. Nothing that will stand up in court.

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited October 2020

Nope.

Define heavy lift.

Creditble citation.... Really? Read my previous post again

"Like I say, I wouldn't recomment, not that you MUST not:)"

If you Squat heavy in a session, I mean where the you're not reaching your rep goal (failing 6/8 as an example), you will have some level of muscle fatigue. Could you seriously Deadlift to the same standard (Heavy) if done in the same session as you would is they were done on seperate days?

Again, only my opinion. Nothing that will stand up in court.

When I ask for a citation, I'm not asking to prove my personal training is wrong I'm asking for evidence that shows it is considered a poor choice for the population. Opinions are a dime a dozen and the fitness industry is littered with them.

You have yet to define "heavy" with clarity.

If you are suggesting heavy is "failing" unintentially, that training would be a inappropriate stress level and lacks any form of auto regulation.

We can use separate days or we can use appropriate and useful stress in the same day. One is not inherently wrong by itself which you are suggesting.

One can absolutely squat and deadlift in same day by utilizing auto regulation and some restraints.

Should we be training to failure unintentially? No.

I also ask you why and how you got to failure unintentionally. That is the problem, not training deadlifts and squats in the same day alone. Long term.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,958 Member
    Opinions are a dime a dozen and the fitness industry is littered with them.

Amen...
  • CipherZero
    sal10851 wrote: »
    Just lift harder than freakin last time! How hard? Harder than last time! How heavy? Heavier than last time!

"Lifting harder" is in the details of every linear progression program that's been recommended. Your inability to read isn't the program's - or commenter's - problem.
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    sal10851 wrote: »
    Wow!!! The fitness community is so misguided it's rather silly! Just go somewhere else before you end up hurting yourself by listening to these block heads. There is people who know what they are talking about on this particular site and that's 0.05% of the users. Just lift harder than freakin last time! How hard? Harder than last time! How heavy? Heavier than last time! It's not that hard bro. If you are not seeing results is because you are not trying hard enough or lifting heavy enough or dieting hard enough to lose the layer of fat covering your abs. If you can't see your abs your fat!!!! Sorry. Truth hurts!

Reading seems like a challenge as literally no one recommended that the OP lift lighter.

OP ignore the nonsense that some people post lol. Also, side note, I get really annoyed by people who can’t use “your” and “you’re” correctly and even if what they said made sense, I would seek another source for my advice. 😜
  • Personally, wouldn't recommend squat and deadlifting in the same session.

Like I say, I wouldn't recomment, not that you MUST not :)

I’m ok with programming thanks. Eric helms has done it for me. He know a thing or two.