Desperate to know how many calories in this bread?

Options
Hi all, my husband is a baker :-(( ......hence i am here!! But he makes a brown wholemeal soda bread for the bakery that is both sugar free and yeast free. I would normally have 2 slices for my breakfast when I am at work (also in the bakery). But I just cant make out what calories are in it. Its a loaf style (like a pound cake shape) maybe 4 inches x 3inches x 0.5in thick.

I know this is really minor but I dont want to over or underestimate the calories. I have been putting it in as 100cals per slice??

Any help appreciated.........................

Cat

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I make homemade bread and just input the ingredients in MFP's recipe calculator (found under the "Food" tab). I then weigh the full loaf in ounces, then put the serving size as one ounce. For example, if my loaf weighed 24 ounces, I would put in the recipe that it makes 24 servings (1 serving = 1 ounce). Every time I slice off a hunk I weigh it, knowing how many calories are in each ounce I eat.

Lucky you with a bread baking husband!
  • GooBeGone
    GooBeGone Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    if u put in the recipe ingredients & how many servings u can get out of it, then it'll tell u how many calories both 4 the whole thing & for each serving.

go to the food tab then to recipes & there u can put the ingredients in. u don't need 2 put in the directions. the ingredients & ingredient amounts r all u need. :flowerforyou:
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    I love the recipe calculator on here! When your hubby makes this bread again, I would write down everything or if you have a laptop..add everything right then and there as he's making it.
  • Sarah_uk
    Options
    I just checked the database and found this one, Farmhouse Brown Sliced Soda Bread, which is 250 cal per 100 gr.

I'd just weigh the slices and the log it by the weight of it.
  • Mellie13
    Options
    Ditto on the recipe calculator. I just used it for my beer bread recipe & was pleasantly surprised!
  • cmanhew
    cmanhew Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Wow thanks guys. I'll do that tomorrow morning......