Stinky Pits

Options
So the stinky guy/girl at the gym: Does he/she just not wear deodorant? Or do they wear it but it just doesn't work? I have a lady in my class that stinks before class even starts! :sick:

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I dont really see the point in wearing a deodorant (or an anti-persperant) when I'm at the gym to get sweaty!

Shower afterwards - THEN on with the doedorant. But it's a bit of a waste beforehand, surely.

Hang on - time of day is important here. If I'm going straight from work, or at lunchtime, then I'll already be wearing some. So I guess I was only talking about first thing in the morning.
  • pandabear_
    pandabear_ Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I had someone in my class who never showered at school, she always smelt of BO. Not sure why, she just never showered.

It's a tough subject, I felt bad for her and didn't say anything. But her friends really should have told her, it's their job!
  • TluvK
    TluvK Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I dont really see the point in wearing a deodorant (or an anti-persperant) when I'm at the gym to get sweaty!

Shower afterwards - THEN on with the doedorant. But it's a bit of a waste beforehand, surely.

Hang on - time of day is important here. If I'm going straight from work, or at lunchtime, then I'll already be wearing some. So I guess I was only talking about first thing in the morning.

Really?? Don't you have B.O? My belly can be weird when I work out - smells bother me. I hate getting a whiff of somebody's stinky pits.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

I'm sure the people working out near you appreciate your thoughts on it being a waste.
  • xunsungxherox
    Options
    i went away with some friends last year, there was a group of us and a lad there that i hadnt met before. He stank of BO like 100% of the time. Apparently he did use deoderant, but even after a shower he still had that smell. I guess some people are just born that way its horrible :noway:
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    yeah, perhaps they just don't shower BEFORE coming in cause they'll be showering after? I think MOST ppl don't expect the gym to smell GOOD - you got sweaty ppl and GYM SHOES in there, it's bound to have some stink factor - here's what you do- spritz some cologne on a cotton ball & put it in your bra or as close to your nose as you can
    you can do what I learned in forensic training - smear some vick's under your nose & you won't smell other ppl's pits
  • TluvK
    TluvK Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    yeah, perhaps they just don't shower BEFORE coming in cause they'll be showering after? I think MOST ppl don't expect the gym to smell GOOD - you got sweaty ppl and GYM SHOES in there, it's bound to have some stink factor - here's what you do- spritz some cologne on a cotton ball & put it in your bra or as close to your nose as you can
    you can do what I learned in forensic training - smear some vick's under your nose & you won't smell other ppl's pits

I'm not looking for the gym to smell GOOD, but it would be nice if I didn't have stinky pit smell in my face. I think we can find a happy medium here. Also - if this is a medical condition, I feel really bad for the person, but when it's just a hygiene problem, well, then....there's probably something that can/should be done about it out of respect for other people.
  • jessbennett1986
    Options
    So the stinky guy/girl at the gym: Does he/she just not wear deodorant? Or do they wear it but it just doesn't work? I have a lady in my class that stinks before class even starts! :sick:

yuk:sick:
  • debswebby
    Options
    OOh no stinky people at the gym are horrible. There is no excuse for it. When I go first thing in the morning, I don't shower beforehand but I do baby wipe my important places and put on deodorant and body spray. I would hate to smell bad at any time.
  • pamsdish
    pamsdish Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I use Mitchum which is supposed to work for 2/3 days ,I always wondered though as I shower daily , and re-apply daily,does it get washed away. I do notice in the sun when I get tanned I have a white area where the deodorant has masked the skin.
  • jessbennett1986
    Options

I'm not looking for the gym to smell GOOD, but it would be nice if I didn't have stinky pit smell in my face. I think we can find a happy medium here. Also - if this is a medical condition, I feel really bad for the person, but when it's just a hygiene problem, well, then....there's probably something that can/should be done about it out of respect for other people.

To go off of this...... There was this older guy that used to work out on the eliptial at the hospital gym I used to go to. I'm sure it was a medical condition, but he sweat so much that there would be a puddle of sweat on the floor. Not just a small puddle but a large puddle where I would be concerned that it might somehow affect the electrical components of the machine. How is that possible?
  • Kalrez
    Kalrez Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I almost never wear deodorant. Ever. And I rarely smell. That's not a "I don't smell myself because I'm used to my funk" thing. If I'm ever in doubt, I'll ask a friend/coworker/family to sniff me. It's never been me. Used to have to wear it all day every day when I was a teenager, but not any more.

I only wear deodorant/antiperspirant if it's really hot outside, and I know that I'm going to be sweaty all day. I don't go to a gym, but when I workout at home, I don't wear anything. Don't really stink afterwards. But I also shower within an hour of my workout so that I'm not covered in sweat all day.

It's not the sweat that makes you stink. Bacteria eat the sweat, and your BO is bacteria poop smell ... basically.
  • saldridge
    saldridge Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    If I shower in the morning and work out in the afternoon/evening, I still don't "stink". Yeah, I am not fresh as a morning meadow, but I do not stink.
    I believe it's that way for the average person and I believe people who really stink have avoided the shower for more than a day.
    From what I understand, sweat meanly stinks because of "bacterial activity" and sweat itself does not stink at all, it is odorless.

Now yes, there are the unfortunate people who just have a bad body odor, just like some people naturally have worse breath than others. Not sure if it is their body or their diet, but it's bad and I feel sorry for them...but only until I have to be next to them :-)

To the person who thinks pre-workout deodorant is a waste, please post your address, I'd like to donate a couple of sticks of Dove to you.
    Just because you cannot smell yourself or you don't mind doesn't mean others can't.
    Even at the gym it is not necessary to smell or splash sweat around - I think it is just nasty, and even if you wipe off the equipment itself, in most cases it goes far beyond that
  • NemesisJRM
    NemesisJRM Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    There is a medical condition which can cause a person to have BO. On the subject of going to the gym wearing deodorant, time depending. I agree its pointless and a waste of time,

Your there to get a sweat on not look pretty and smell nice, that stuff is for after the work out, once you've showered and cleaned up.

Also when you working out your pores etc open up a lot more than normal, so your more likely to cause yourself a skin irritation by using it directly before or during a heavy work out, as I said time depending. IE if I'm up in the morning and going to the gym straight away, then no. If at night after a hard day then its already on but I wont put more on just to go train.

Thats almost as pointless as going for a shower directly before you train. Sorry but Common sense dictates.......

And to the comment about others not liking it, tough move away or find somewhere else to train its your problem, as I said its a gym people sweat deal with it.

On the note of people walking around all day stinking of BO, is a different matter completely I'm talking of in the gym setting.
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options

Really?? Don't you have B.O? My belly can be weird when I work out - smells bother me. I hate getting a whiff of somebody's stinky pits.

Um, I don't smell like swamp *kitten* to begin with, but I'll be damned if I put deodorant on before working out. That's just pointless, my workouts are mostly intense. Too much sweat anyways.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I don't shower before a morning workout, but I do put on antiperspirant. I still stink a little when I'm done, but not so bad that you'd smell me sitting next to me. As long as you don't get all up in my pits, it's OK. lol

I don't put it on for myself. I put it on for the people who will be in my immediate vicinity. It's called being considerate of others.

If you're lucky enough not to stink when you sweat, then you don't need to worry about it. I used to know a guy who smelled sweet when he was sweaty -- better than when he wasn't! But that's unusual.

I'm reading these, "It's your problem, not mine" comments and being reminded of my new neighbors who decided it was OK to play their TV and music so loud that my walls vibrate and when I asked them to turn it down told me it wasn't as loud as they wanted it to be, so I just had to deal with it.

Whatever happened to common courtesy and respect for people around you?
  • martinh78
    Options
    If you don't like sweat then workout at home.

We had a right laugh at our spinning class last night over who had the biggest puddles of sweat on the floor when they'd finished!

It's noting to be ashamed of, we all do it.

I agree that if they come in smelling they should probably have a quick shower or rinse before they start. If I came straight from a hard day at work I would, because I know I'd be dirty and sweaty from the day.

I never wear deoderant, it's unhealthy. Wash under your pits regularly :o)
  • Kalrez
    Kalrez Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    If you're lucky enough not to stink when you sweat, then you don't need to worry about it. I used to know a guy who smelled sweet when he was sweaty -- better than when he wasn't! But that's unusual.

My ex smelled kinda like BBQ after he'd get a little sweaty. Like that smoky, sweet, outdoors-y smell. It was so weird!

Some folks just smell more than others. My BF is a deodorant junkie. But if he doesn't wear it, he gets musty. It's not all that pleasant. I, as I said in my previous post, don't smell so I rarely wear deodorant. (Even then, it's mostly for the antiperspirant rather than for the deodorant.)
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I have very low tolerance for a strong B.O. (unless it's a medical condition, but seriously, can it be the case for ALL the people with bad B.O?). If you shower regularly and put on deodorant in the morning, you shouldn't smell that bad in the evening. Period. A good hygiene is a question of respect for the people around you!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Whatever happened to common courtesy and respect for people around you?

Common courtesy and respect went right out the window.. along with deodorant apparently!

I don't care what anyone says, but I know I stink when I don't wear deodorant.. and I'm sorry, but I'd rather not stink then have people have to run away from me gagging.