Extra calories from fitness tracker

Options
Aalps
Aalps Posts: 20 Member
edited September 2020 in Fitness and Exercise
I was wearing a Fitbit and getting around 800-900 extra calories a day for an average 12,000 steps, I’ve changed to a withings Scan watch and getting about 130 calories a day extra instead for the same steps. Anyone got any idea why? I’m not too worried as I don’t usually eat my extra calories but I would love to know why as I found it quite motivational to see what I’d earned by walking 😊

Replies

• Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Neither is correct. On average, 10000 steps equals 500 calories. Fitbit was giving you too many and your new one is giving you too few. 🤷🏻‍♀️
  • ALZ14
    ALZ14 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Dogmom1978 wrote: »
    Neither is correct. On average, 10000 steps equals 500 calories. Fitbit was giving you too many and your new one is giving you too few. 🤷🏻‍♀️

This will depend on your stride and weight. A shorter person takes more steps than a taller person which should burn more calories. The calorie burn will also be higher for someone who weighs more.

Both could be inaccurate but for it to be that different I would think setup is wrong on one of them.

• Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    ALZ14 wrote: »
    Dogmom1978 wrote: »

This will depend on your stride and weight. A shorter person takes more steps than a taller person which should burn more calories. The calorie burn will also be higher for someone who weighs more.

Both could be inaccurate but for it to be that different I would think setup is wrong on one of them.

Yes, hence I posted the AVERAGE as everyone’s strides are at least slightly different with larger differences across people with shorter or longer legs. Also, regardless of height, 10000 steps is 10000 steps. A short person doesn’t take more steps in the same 10000 as a taller person. 😜

Calorie burn would be higher for someone who weighed more IF both people are exerting the same amount of effort. Someone weighing 250 and walking 2.0 miles per hr will burn less calories than someone weighing 150 jogging at 4.5 miles an hr if they are both working out for the same amount of time.