feel like giving up...

Options
I have been losing weight slowly but steadily for the past 14 months or so and over that time I've lost 37 lbs. But now I've been at just above 140 lbs for the past 2 months. I don't even want to call it stuck, because I know that my diet and exercise have not been stellar. Still, they've been good enough all this time to lose the weight slowly, at an average rate of about 2.5 lbs per month, sometimes more, sometimes less. I was happy with that.

I know that the answer it to just up my game -- set a work out routine, instead of just whenever I can convince myself to go, and stick to my calories, instead of letting myself go a little bit over day after day. I know what I need to do, but I am going away for the weekend tomorrow, so today's not exactly the best day to start my new, hardcore workout/eating.

It's easy to feel content with what I have done so far and just give up. I feel great, and I'm having NSV's like crazy! Still, I know that there is still a lot of work to be done.

My goal was to lose 50 lbs (taking me from borderline obese to the middle of the "healthy" range for my height). I need some encouragement not to throw in the towel...

Replies

• mandemonious
    mandemonious Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Don't throw in the towel!! You've come so far!! It's taken me 5 months to lose 13 lbs....gotta keep going.

Despite your upcoming weekend, you will have multiple opportunities to make better choices. True, it may not be a stellar weekend...but there are always chances to make better choices. I wish you the best and hope you find what you need to keep on keepin on :wink:
  • ambercholtz
    ambercholtz Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Believe me, even if you gave up right now I would say that you look fantastic. I hope to be as thin as you one of these days. If you want to keep going for yourself then do it, do not do it to show off for others because it will never make you happy and when you become angry then you will eat to try and punish other people. If you are happy with yourself and the way you look now, then be happy with it, if you're not happy with yourself right now then keep going. Just be certain you are doing it for you and do not worry about how others look at you.
  • ahavoc
    ahavoc Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Hey, guess what, you're human! All of us feel this way from time to time. You do need to shake up your exercise routine, and the sad thing is, the more you lose weight, the less calories you burn. Do you do weight training? You might want to build a little muscle, the scale might not move, but you'll trim up and lose inches. Don't give up, this is a life long choice you are making. There isn't going to be some magic day when you'll say, "Ok, I'm all done". You have to have a plan that becomes your way of life. It's the only way that you can maintain your weight, and I know you can do it. Everyday you are getting healthier, believe me, that's the most important thing you can do for yourself.
  • I_GoT_ThIs
    I_GoT_ThIs Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Well hun it sounds to me like you have all the answers so that good! This can all get a bit.... Discouraging to say the least, but if you do give up... your gonna regret it. Look how far you have come already! Just go on your vacation. ENJOY it, try to make the healthiest choices you can, and as soon as you get back, double time it. :) you can do it!!!!
  • Ashleysh22
    Options
    Motivation is the hardest part of any goal reaching initiative. But don't give up! I find my motivation in two primary places:

1. My husband - he came home from an 8am-9pm shift last night and STILL did his workout.

2. My Twitter friends - I have found ALOT of healthy motivated twitter friends who are amazing at working out and eating right.

I too struggle with it. In fact I put on 6 pounds in the first THREE weeks of medical school. But I am in week 4 and I am making small daily goals - and I am getting better.
  • gipperakh
    gipperakh Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Don't give up! Imagine all that work you did to lose the 37lbs all going down the drain, just to gain the weight back. You can do it! Just step it up to another level, work out 10 minutes longer eachtime. Every little bit counts. You'll be so glad that you didn't give up when you finally reach your goal!
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Don't throw in the towel, but also don't obsess about a number. We are all different shapes and sizes and you may be exactly where you need to be right now. Instead of getting down and feeling bad, focus on how far you've come and then change your diet and exercise focus to being healthy, not losing weight. We all know that even when we hit "the number", the game doesn't stop. We still need to follow the healthy lifestyle that got us to this point.

Good luck to you!! I know you can do "it", what ever you decide "it" is. :wink:
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, those last few pounds will be the hardest to take off. If you want to lose them, you probably will need to be more strict about your diet and exercise.

That said, it's also possible that your current weight is your body's ideal weight. The BMI is a sham, because it doesn't take into account lean mass (muscle). I personally use this home body fat percentage (BF%) test method (which claims to be accurate, I haven't medically verified it, but it seems about right) - http://www.healthcentral.com/cholesterol/home-body-fat-test-2774-143.html .

I'd say take a look at your BF% and determine whether you'd even need to lose anything, and if so, how much.

It might also be worth re-evaluating your BMR, so you know your intake numbers are accurate. It's more important now than ever, as the line between "too much" food and "not enough" gets thinner.
  • LycosNyctereutes
    Options
    37 lbs! You're almost there! Why quit now?!?! If I had lost that much I would be so motivated by it!
    So you're going to splurge some this weekend, it's not the end of the world. It's one weekend out of your life. A few days. Think of how much healthier you can be and better you will feel. You already know the difference losing weight can make. Why stop short of your goal?
    JC_you_rock.gif
  • sandislim
    Options
    Looks like you've found your maintenance level. I say keep going at this level for a bit and forget about the scale - when you've found some motivation and a bit of time, up the intensity of your exercise level, you don't have to go longer, just harder or with heavier weights and cut down on some naughty foods for a little bit - think about increasing your fitness rather than losing weight, because your body composition can change greatly even when your weight doesn't/
  • sweetiepie31612
    sweetiepie31612 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Don't give up! Losing weight becomes harder as we approach a more healthy weight. Try increasing your water intake. I find that helps to get things moving again. Good luck!
  • hpygirl64ColleenLinder
    Options
    Dear Smokin' Hot!! Complete your goal and get even hotter I say! The best thing you can do right now is to incorporate some weight resistance training into your workout routine if you aren't already doing so. You'll shred it off in no time. muscle burns fat and it will get you off your plateau, the last 10 is the hardest. If you need any advice just ask.

Feel free to friend me for some calorie free food for thought and health tips daily! Colleen (Seattle)