Suggestions for SALT alternative?

Options
2»

Replies

• Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Potassium-based salt substitutes can cause kidney problems so we avoid those. We love Mrs. Dash Herb & Garlic flavor. We also have lots of other salt free spice mixes from www.penzeys.com which even has a "salt free" tab on its search page. Lemon wedges are great. Also, start stocking salt-free condiments in your fridge. Some like Ketchup are easily available at the supermarket, for others you may want to use specialized sources like https://healthyheartmarket.com/ We almost always have their salt-free dill pickles in the house.

There has been no studies showing it CAUSES kidney problems. It exacerbates those with poor kidneys because those with kidney failure have an increase in potassium as potassium balance is regulated largely by the kidneys.

Your body has no problem metabolizing potassium if you are perfectly healthy and no amount would be bad for your kidneys unless you are eating a whole jar at once very day.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    They use that on everything, as a salt substitute, here in SE Louisiana

I'm all about some Tony Sachere's (I have a friend from New Orleans who got me hooked on it), but Im not sure I'd call it a salt substitute. Especially since the first Ingredient is salt...
    Good stuff though, for sure.
  • spyro88
    spyro88 Posts: 472 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    I'm not sure about a substitute, but I have heard people say that you can quite quickly get used to having less.

If you can just manage a few days/ weeks with less salt, it will start to taste less bland and you will get the real flavours of your food coming through more, then you will stop needing it. (Also depends what you're putting salt ON, of course, because if you are eating a lot of beige food then it will probably taste bland anyway ;) ) Good luck.
  • Jacq_qui
    Jacq_qui Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Agree that gradually reducing it is probably the way forward. You could try tipping it in to your hand first and then sprinkle it on to your plate so you can see how much you are using? As others have said, you will soon find that you don't need to add it. Cooking from scratch will drastically reduce your salt intake too and eventually you'll be surprised at what foods you find that are actually quite salty by themselves.