Starting over..again. Cutting sugar

Options
I’ve fell off the wagon again, and disappointed in myself. But this time I want to not just try to cut calories, but cut out most sugar. I believe that is what causes me to fail and have cravings. Any help or suggestions are welcome. Anyone have good advice?

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Lose the wagon and stop starting over. The only way to fail is to quit. The way to win is to forgive any weak moments because they will happen, adapt as needed, and keep pushing on.

Make sure you are trying to lose at an appropriate pace. A lot of people select 2 pounds per week even though they should be losing slower. The more aggressively you try to lose the more you will battle hunger and cravings.

I am not fond of eliminating things from your diet but it might be a worthy experiment.

The most important thing to remember about cravings is that they are optional, they just don't always feel that way. Practice delaying gratification. Even if you have the calories to spend wait at least 30 minutes to an hour. If you do not have the calories to spend make yourself wait until you can bank enough to have some. Treat your cravings like the tantrum throwing kid in the candy store. If you keep giving in the child will remain unruly. If you say no or not now the kid will eventually learn that throwing the tantrum doesn't yield the desired results. This is how I pretty much never have cravings anymore.
  • LunaTheFatCat
    LunaTheFatCat Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    You can do this, dust yourself off and keep going.

I've tried cutting sugar out myself but I found it near impossible, it's in everything! But I have cut out "trigger foods" . For me that is sour jellies, you know, the Haribo type. Once I start on them, I go on a bender and worst case I won't snap out of that for days.
    But not sure how strict you're planning on being on the sugar front.

I also try to focus less on the end-result (that number on the scales), but more on the process, what food and exercise makes me feel good, basically trying to enjoy the process rather than the finishing line. That probably sounds really airy fairy, but it helps me. I might go slow, but at least it's doable.
  • jjkh5970
    jjkh5970 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I have to be strict on myself on some things. Because if I allow myself to have a small bite, then I can’t stop. Day 1 so far so good!
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    jjkh5970 wrote: »
    Thanks. I have to be strict on myself on some things. Because if I allow myself to have a small bite, then I can’t stop. Day 1 so far so good!

That might work short term, but eventually depriving yourself might also lead to you gourging on the things you are depriving yourself of. It’s much more sustainable to learn how to control portion size and deal with whatever causes you to go off the deepend than to avoid it completely.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    jjkh5970 wrote: »

You should challenge the notion that you absolutely cannot stop. What if the first bite was all that was left in the house? To have more you would have to cook/bake more. Would grab your apron? What if a friend or family member called you right after you had a bite and needed you to come over right away? Would you stick around and eat or head over?

Perhaps you can't stop under any circumstances or perhaps you have told yourself you can't stop for so long you believe it to be true.