GAINED

Options
Hello everyone I am in need of some friends and support. I was doing great using MFP until my father passed away 2 weeks ago. I have turned to food for comfort and have put on 12 of the 19 pounds I had lost. That is depressing me even more! This is the worst pain ever I just want to eat and sleep I need motivation!

Replies

• Colemanlo1
    Colemanlo1 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry for your loss. Hang in there! Don't give up!
  • kaf330
    Options
    So sorry about your loss. you can add me if you like. I don't know if it will help or not but I try to think of how proud my lost loved one will be of me if I keep going and be strong.
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry for your loss! :cry:

It's easier said than done, as I am a comfort eater as well. But, perhaps you can try and turn to exercise for comfort instead of food? Remember that everything you do to drop the excess weight will only improve your health. Your father wouldn't want you to be unhealthy and put your health even more at risk because of him! He would want you to live well & thrive!!
  • ladybug813
    Options
    Thank You!
  • hgam1
    hgam1 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    ((((((so so sorry about your loss)))))). Give yourself time if you have to and ease back in gently. Take a day at a time.
  • Tuwood
    Tuwood Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am truly sorry to hear about your loss. I will keep you and your family in my prayers. Take it one day at a time. Don't give up. You seemed to be doing so well please don't stop don't give up keep trying. I hope I motivated you some:)
  • bebbykins
    Options
    This is a hard time for you and your family. I'm sorry for your loss. My grandpa past away last April and I went through a similar period. In May, I found my motivation. It was my grandpa. He had always wanted me to lose weight. And while this isn't always the right way to go, it helped me get back on track. A year later and I had lost 45 pounds. I've recently gained around 12 back, but I know I have the tools and motivation to do it now - and it's funny how the motivation will eventually switch from your dad back to doing it for yourself.

Anyway, I hope this helps.
  • Marycan2
    Options
    Hi, Ladybug. It's almost like reading my history when I read your post! I was losing weight very smoothly when , bump..my dad passed on..that was in January. After gaining 25 lbs back and digging myself out of the pool of sadness and pain, I joined Mfp....on my way to losing again!!!!! You can request me as a friend if you want.
  • findingfit23
    findingfit23 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    You can do it! Put your sadness and frustration into your workout. Get out there and kick some *kitten*!
  • MisterDubs303
    MisterDubs303 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry for your loss. Just remember, you took 19 pounds off. Whatever you were doing was working, and it will work again. My weight loss graph is so jagged it looks like a saw blade, but it's generally moving downward over the long run. Find some replacement for the comfort, and use the extra burden as good practice for sticking to your plan. I know it seems difficult to keep healthy eating and exercise a priority when there are more urgent concerns, but it is possible to balance all the physical and emotional needs healthily at the same time. Good luck to you.
  • MrsH06
    MrsH06 Posts: 159
    Options
    Sorry for your loss. I lost my dad last October so I can relate. Just put all your hurt and mixed feelings into kicking *kitten*. Try kickboxing. Helped me. You can add me if you'd like. Hope things get better for you. :flowerforyou:
  • townsjj19
    Options
    ladybug813 - as we all know a death in the family is stressful enough. It should be recognized that while some weight gain is natural and understandable it is the fact that you have recognized this trend. Kudos to you. That is a great first step. Now that you see this trend it is time to jump back on the wagon. I know exercise was a huge release for me when my father passed away. Matter of fact everytime I wanted to eat I first go do something; whether it was a walk or cleaning the house, just do something. Then after your done evaluate your degree of hunger again. Ensure that you are actually hungry before you eat. A couple of great tips to gauge this is to either hear your stomach talking to "growling" or put yourself on a eating timeline. For instance, plan your day to eat at 8 am, 12 pm, and 5 pm. If you are like me and tend to want to eat all day, plan smaller meals throughout the day. I have a shake at 7am, fruit/protein/carb at 9 am, lunch at 12 pm, fruit/protein/carb around 3 pm, dinner at 6 pm, and finally a small snack around 8 pm. This type of plan must be well planned out as you will have a tendence to over eat. Remember portion size for protein is the size of your palm and carb is the size of your fist. But most importantly you have not failed because you fell off the wagon you only fail if you don't get back up on the wagon.
  • kiesh82
    kiesh82 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Am going to quote one of the most motivating posts I've seen on MFP:
    As you may know and as someone has mentioned, I am "vanishing this week." Yes, it is true. Today was a 1.2 pound loss. Yesterday was 0.8 pound loss and the day before that was a 0.4 loss. And I just want MFP friends to know that there is a little secret to my success. Serious. Some like to call my vanishing trick "magic" but it's not really magic. And, no, it is not a pill. No, it is not in a syringe either. What I do is I keep going. I keep going when I gain and have NO idea why. I keep going when I know I could have done better. I keep going when life pushes me to have comfort food. I keep going after I have eaten out. I keep going when my muscles are so sore I don't even want to get out of bed. I keep going when I am hot and sweaty from exercise. I keep going when I have a confrontation with a family member or I hear really depressing news. I just keep going. That's what works. I would tell the world but they would not believe me, demanding me to tell them what I REALLY did to lose weight. So, I am telling MFP friends the secret I've been using. I just keep going. The scale is such a temperamental and moody thing so you just have to stay the course. If you follow the plan, you will reach your destination. We all want to get there in a Porsche, SO FAST, but all we have is a bike or our legs to get us there. Just so you know, I have also had days where I have GAINED 1.2 pounds and .8 pounds and .4 pounds in one week. But did I give up, no sir! When I have a bad week I tell myself a good week is eventually coming my way. Good Luck and Stay the Course!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/216349-my-secret-to-weight-loss

Good luck and hang in there!