Need snacking ideas

Options
Looking at my food diary, between quitting smoking and my sugar addiction, my biggest issue seems to be snacking. I work in an office so any snacks have to be non-odorous/cold.

I dont like nuts or celery. I do LOVE pickles so I need to pick up some of those but I need some more ideas for crunchy/salty/sweet stuff. :)

Replies

• missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Jerky.
  • emmies_123
    emmies_123 Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Carrots
    Harvestsnap pea crisps
    Kettlecorn
    Apple (I keep a corer at work in the breakroom)
    Protein shake (I take a sip every time I finish an email or a short task, keeps me from chugging)
    Grapes

For each of these I take one serving with me, so I can only eat what I have available. If we have general office snacks I just think of those as "not my food" (aka roommate rules, only eat your own stuff)

For the protein shake, I take in the powder measurement in a little tupperware and just dump it in water when I am ready for snack.
  • hap2go
    hap2go Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Jerky.

I love jerky but I have to reduce my cholesterol and most jerky I like is of course beef or bacon. Any suggestions for good turkey jerky?
  • hap2go
    hap2go Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    emmies_123 wrote: »

Some great ideas! Thank you! Its getting to be Fuji season for apples. I can core at home and just sprinkle some lemon juice on them to keep from browning.

We rarely have office goodies so thankfully thats not an issue. haha

• capgordon2774
    capgordon2774 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Never stop learning do any tips would be greatful
  • ehju0901
    ehju0901 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I buy bite sized rice cakes and cheez its quite a bit.

My usual go to is Built bar in the morning (high in protein and helps me get my fix of sweets for the day).
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    hap2go wrote: »
    Jerky.

I love jerky but I have to reduce my cholesterol and most jerky I like is of course beef or bacon. Any suggestions for good turkey jerky?

My favorite is a brand called Perky Turkey Jerky. They sell it at Target. It’s a softer jerky, but I like that. There’s a brand my husband really likes called Tillamook Cranberry Turkey Jerky. I haven’t been able to find it for a couple of months though. Then there’s Jack Links Turkey Jerky. It’s pretty readily available, but I don’t really like it much. Our local meat market makes it. It’s really good, but thick cut.
  • Dante_80
    Dante_80 Posts: 479 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options

Some great ideas! Thank you! Its getting to be Fuji season for apples. I can core at home and just sprinkle some lemon juice on them to keep from browning.

You can eat the whole thing btw, the core is actually pretty good! (and also where the probiotics hide)
    This also saves on both preparation and garbage mass.

Now, regarding the OP question, with October coming bananas, figs, plums and grapes are in full season. Be sure to check some out! Also, chestnuts!!
  • emmies_123
    Options
    Further thought: I keep my work snacks in a drawer I rarely open during daily business. That way they aren't readily available or in eyesight, and I only eat them when i'm actually hungry (not bored/frustrated/etc).

Another idea: Greek yogurt. I personally like the "Light & Fit", but Oikos is pretty good too.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    Individual nuts - single servings

ruj8i1zjmtar.png

• ggeise14
    ggeise14 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese with a tablespoon of walnuts or a few blueberries.
  • stormdancer4
    stormdancer4 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I like half a tin of tuna with chopped up baby gherkin cherry tomatoes a squeeze of lemon a tsp balsamic and greek yoghurt.
    For something sweet l have a tbsp greek yoghurt, handful of blueberries a tsp peanut butter and a piece of dark chocolate broken into little pieces
  • slytherclawpride
    slytherclawpride Posts: 22 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    I like salty and sweet stuff, too. To satisfy the sugar cravings, I eat fruit (varies and depends on whatever kick I'm on at that moment but my favorites are strawberries, blueberries, peaches, bananas, and grapes).

For the salty stuff I like whole grain or brown rice cakes, and cottage cheese.

Also, dark chocolate is supposed to be really good for you, but pick a brand that uses better ingredients.
  • randomgyrl
    randomgyrl Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Popcorn or a few pretzels and hummus are my go to salty snacks.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Raspberries, blueberries and blackberries.
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    Dark chocolate coated rice cakes.
    Popcorn.
    Lentil curls (vegetable crisps).
    Chopped apple and cubes of cheddar cheese. 1 apple with 35g of cheese is perfect.
    Chia pudding. Possibly with a handful of berries added.
    Carrots and houmous. In the UK, the bigger supermarkets sell small pots of houmous (in packs of three) but I often make my own.
  • hazeleni
    hazeleni Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I saw some chips made from beans and plants, I regret not grabbing them to snack on with some dip!
  • emmies_123
    Options
    Dark chocolate coated rice cakes.
    Popcorn.
    Lentil curls (vegetable crisps).
    Chopped apple and cubes of cheddar cheese. 1 apple with 35g of cheese is perfect.
    Chia pudding. Possibly with a handful of berries added.
    Carrots and houmous. In the UK, the bigger supermarkets sell small pots of houmous (in packs of three) but I often make my own.

I need to start grabbing the cheese cubes, I love cheese and never think to do this!
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Jerky, pea snacks (ex. Harvest Snaps), fruit (grapes, clementines, apple/banana w/ pb).

I love Lara bars --- especially the peanut/choc. chip one. Simple ingredients, good amount of calories for a snack and makes me fill a bit full in the afternoon.

Baby carrots, celery, bell peppers, etc...with dip (I use greek yogurt to make Hidden Valley ranch dip - I also do put like 2 tablespoons of mayo in it to make it a bit more creamy and less sour).
  • owieprone
    owieprone Posts: 217 Member
    Options

I'm confused, I'm going to assume it's cos i'm British, why do you core your apples and not just eat the core? Or leave the apple whole and eat around the core/cut it up at work to save having to use lemon juice?