Decreasing exercise while trying to maintain weight

2»

Replies

• Kirstyw4
    Kirstyw4 Posts: 20 Member
    Thanks, im 5ft 1 and 7st 13.5lbs. I have a fitbit but it wont sync to mfp (have had issues since i first set up mfp and think the only way to fix it is to make a new fitbit account which i dont want to do) I am not a huge eater tbh and 1000-1,200 is on avg just a usual daily intake. Sometimes a little less
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Kirstyw4 wrote: »
    Thanks, im 5ft 1 and 7st 13.5lbs. I have a fitbit but it wont sync to mfp (have had issues since i first set up mfp and think the only way to fix it is to make a new fitbit account which i dont want to do) I am not a huge eater tbh and 1000-1,200 is on avg just a usual daily intake. Sometimes a little less

So that is logged calories.

That may not be actually eaten calories.

How do you log your food, by weight, or by volume or servings per package?
    Because calories is per gram weight, not volume measurements (except liquids).

If you are not logging everything you eat by weight, you are likely eating more.
    Not enough to likely overcome a 50% deficit you seem to be mentioning (that is extreme BTW, no away around it), but still at this point an extreme amount less.
    Body will adapt in negative ways.
    Stress water weight will be added.
  • Kirstyw4
    I weigh the ingredients and search in the search bit. I then put the weight or amount in. If making a recipe will create the recipe in mfp, by putting in the ingredients (amount(tsp,tbsp,up,grams etc) to add up total cals and then put how many servings it has and then will put in whichever category (breakfast,lunch etc). I log everything, from breakfast,lunch,dinner,snacks & juice.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Something is badly out of kilter as there's no way you could be maintaining on such a tiny food allowance.
    If you made your diary public people could help you spot common mistakes.
  • Kirstyw4
    edited October 2020
    Im not yet, thats what im trying to do. Currently have been still slowly losing. But thats another reason im considering decreasing my workouts. Settings changed
  • heybales

What does the Fitbit report your daily burn is on average?

Or are the figures you've been mentioning already based on that?

In which case a few ways it can be inflated on it's calorie burn.

Step-based calories burn, actually distance based, can be very good estimate for daily life.
    Unless your stride length is wrong, and you get lots of steps.
    As shorter person, their formula for default stride length based on gender & height has better potential for being wrong, despite the normal reasons (long legs, short midriff, or opposite) that can occur.
    How many steps you get on average, what daily distance?

Ever walked a known 1/2 to 1 mile and confirmed the Fitbit had it right?
    Actually, the pace should be at midpoint from grocery store shuffle to exercise pace, so maybe at 1.8 mph pace is what should be tested.

If your HR is elevated due to meds or genetics, the Fitbit could be slipping into HR-based calorie burn when just barely above or still at daily activity level type stuff - that is an inflated calorie burn at the bottom of the aerobic range there, even if doing exercise.

If your exercise has been interval type stuff with HR all over the place up and down - that is inflated calorie burn.

So indeed you may not be burning as much as Fitbit is reporting.
  • Kirstyw4
    Im not sure how to find the avg on fit im afraid 🤷‍♀️ im just entering the figures in the morning post workput and the updating afternoon & evening. I do a mix of walking/aerobics style & toning workouts (stopped any hiit workouts)

I will just have to use trial & error i guess. Try decreasing exercise and if i gain a little then increase slightly .
  • heybales
    In which case keep in mind there should not be a goal weight number or you'll drive yourself batty reacting to water weight changes that are totally valid.

Maintenance weight range is what you want.

When you really come out of the diet you'll gain the few lbs of water weight that dropped off fast in first week of going into diet.

Just look at your Fitbit daily burn for a couple weeks and probably be useful to make note of them - spreadsheets can be found everywhere - pull an average.
    Set eating goal to that and adjust as it moves enough to matter.

Get some measurements in since that is more useful than the figure of weight as to what may be happening.
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 978 Member
    Measuring cucumber and lettuce by cups isn't particularly accurate but the calorie difference is going to be miniscule anyway.
    Half a banana or half a plum is also not very accurate vs a weighed entry and may have bigger differences, although not hundreds of cals.
    It may be more accurate to weigh potatoes before cooking them too, then choose an appropriate entry from the database. By selecting cooked entries, you don't know how long the original entry was cooked for or how much water was lost / absorbed.
    With things out of a packet, if possible find an entry that has the nutritional info per 100g rather than using 1 turkey breast etc. and weigh them before cooking. Even those wafer thin slices of ham / chicken / turkey from Tesco don't all weigh the same, although as you're only eating one slice, the calorie difference will be negligible; the same is true for bread - not every slice weighs the same.

Also, look at ways to increase your protein, as that's quite low. You can add slices of ham to the baked beans, have a boiled egg (or two) with your breakfast etc.

In the meantime, please eat a bit more. If you're not particularly hungry, try some peanut butter (weighed) on a slice of bread or have a large a handful of almonds (weighed). You're still losing weight because you're not eating enough. It's possible that your exercise calories are overstated but, if you really are logging everything you consume, you are under-eating at the moment. 1200 cals is the minimum any female should be eating - and that's net of exercise. Go back and read cmriverside's post from earlier this evening. Under-eating will impact your muscles as well as your hair, nails etc. Your heart is a muscle. You have a young child and you need your strength.
  • Kirstyw4
    Thanks, the thing is i have a metabolic medical condition which causes slow metabolism. So i need to be careful with the amount i eat anyway. So its tough for me to be able to eat enough. I tend to either over eat or under eat. Never a happy balance 🤦‍♀️ will take all the advice on board though. Thanks again 😊
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Thanks, the thing is i have a metabolic medical condition which causes slow metabolism. So i need to be careful with the amount i eat anyway. So its tough for me to be able to eat enough. I tend to either over eat or under eat. Never a happy balance 🤦‍♀️ will take all the advice on board though. Thanks again 😊

What is this "medical condition" that causes a "slow" metabolism?
  • Kirstyw4
    edited October 2020
    Called pseudohypoparathyroidism its a rare metabolic condition that affects the metabolism and also causes underactive thyroid. I also have pcos to add to the equation