Starvation Mode/ Calorie Deficit/ Losing weight

Options
I found this article by googling "starvation mode"

How to Avoid Starvation Mode When Trying to Lose Weight
By straighthealth, eHow Member

Rate: (5 Ratings)

When you're trying to lose weight, your main goal is to create a calorie deficit (burn more calories than you take in). If you burn 500 calories more than you eat everyday, your body will be forced to make up that 500 calorie shortfall from sources other than food - mainly body fat with the result being weight loss. The bigger your calorie deficit, the faster you'll lose weight. Some may ask, "Why not try to eat as little as possible?"

Step1Your metabolism is like your body's power plant. The food you eat is fuel and your metabolism converts the food to energy (a very simplistic explanation). What would happen if you stopped delivering coal to a local power plant? The plant would have to scale back energy production unless it started getting more fuel.

Step2Just like the power plant, when you drastically cut your calorie intake (fuel supply), your metabolism will slow down and burn less food to convert into energy. So what does this have to do with weight loss? When your calories are severely restricted, the body thinks it's entering a prolonged period of time without any food. Just like engineers at a power plant will shutdown energy production, your body will will work to conserve energy if you don't eat - mainly by slowing down your metabolism.

Step3This is when you enter starvation mode. Long ago when our ancestors were hunters, food wasn't as readily available as it is today. Our body developed this starvation mechanism as a way to conserve body fat for the long periods of time humans went without food. The trigger to enter starvation mode back then was the same as it is today: an intake of very few calories.

Step4This trigger fluctuates from person to person, but generally, starvation mode kicks in below 1,200 calories. When you go below 1,200 calories per day, your body will start hoarding energy. The effect will be a slowdown in the total amount of calories your body burns each day. Your weight loss will stop and even reverse.

Step5This trigger fluctuates from person to person, but generally, starvation mode kicks in below 1,200 calories. When you go below 1,200 calories per day, your body will start hoarding energy. The effect will be a slowdown in the total amount of calories your body burns each day. Your weight loss will stop and even reverse.

Step6To make sure that you are eating the right amount, visit the calorie calculator (linked below under resources). Enter your age, height, weight and activity level to get an estimate of how many calories you burn each day. If your calorie deficit puts you under 1,200-1,400 calories, skip the calorie cutting and create a deficit by exercising more and increasing your activity level. If you're already experiencing signs of being in starvation mode, you need to increase your calorie intake.

Step7For more information on losing weight without starving yourself, visit the Advanced Guide to Dieting. You can also check out how others have successfully lost weight or share your own dieting experience at the diet forums. These tools can be found below under resources.

Replies

• Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    I found this article by googling "starvation mode"

How to Avoid Starvation Mode When Trying to Lose Weight
    By straighthealth, eHow Member

Rate: (5 Ratings)

When you're trying to lose weight, your main goal is to create a calorie deficit (burn more calories than you take in). If you burn 500 calories more than you eat everyday, your body will be forced to make up that 500 calorie shortfall from sources other than food - mainly body fat with the result being weight loss. The bigger your calorie deficit, the faster you'll lose weight. Some may ask, "Why not try to eat as little as possible?"

Step1Your metabolism is like your body's power plant. The food you eat is fuel and your metabolism converts the food to energy (a very simplistic explanation). What would happen if you stopped delivering coal to a local power plant? The plant would have to scale back energy production unless it started getting more fuel.

Step2Just like the power plant, when you drastically cut your calorie intake (fuel supply), your metabolism will slow down and burn less food to convert into energy. So what does this have to do with weight loss? When your calories are severely restricted, the body thinks it's entering a prolonged period of time without any food. Just like engineers at a power plant will shutdown energy production, your body will will work to conserve energy if you don't eat - mainly by slowing down your metabolism.

Step3This is when you enter starvation mode. Long ago when our ancestors were hunters, food wasn't as readily available as it is today. Our body developed this starvation mechanism as a way to conserve body fat for the long periods of time humans went without food. The trigger to enter starvation mode back then was the same as it is today: an intake of very few calories.

Step4This trigger fluctuates from person to person, but generally, starvation mode kicks in below 1,200 calories. When you go below 1,200 calories per day, your body will start hoarding energy. The effect will be a slowdown in the total amount of calories your body burns each day. Your weight loss will stop and even reverse.

Step5This trigger fluctuates from person to person, but generally, starvation mode kicks in below 1,200 calories. When you go below 1,200 calories per day, your body will start hoarding energy. The effect will be a slowdown in the total amount of calories your body burns each day. Your weight loss will stop and even reverse.

Step6To make sure that you are eating the right amount, visit the calorie calculator (linked below under resources). Enter your age, height, weight and activity level to get an estimate of how many calories you burn each day. If your calorie deficit puts you under 1,200-1,400 calories, skip the calorie cutting and create a deficit by exercising more and increasing your activity level. If you're already experiencing signs of being in starvation mode, you need to increase your calorie intake.

Step7For more information on losing weight without starving yourself, visit the Advanced Guide to Dieting. You can also check out how others have successfully lost weight or share your own dieting experience at the diet forums. These tools can be found below under resources.
  • 3babybeans
    3babybeans Posts: 8,268 Member
    Options
    This is a good one, Dave! A lot of people are confused by starvation mode.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    This is a pretty good piece Dave. Sums up the triggers for the famine response nicely.

I will make one observation:
    The world health organization came out with the 1200 number back in the 80's and it's still generally followed today, but they put that number out for Women, for men they put out a number of 1800 calories.

I had the study they did online, but I had looked it up earlier today (don't ask me why, I'm a freak about this junk) from my work computer and I'm just too tired to go searching through the W.H.O.'s VERY convoluted website to find it again. ask me again tomorrow if you want the study, I'll find it when I HAVEN'T beaten the crap out of my body with a full body weight training circuit. :tongue:

cheers,

-Banks
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    This is a good one, Dave! A lot of people are confused by starvation mode.

including me...lol
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    I assume this is 1200 net calories? For example If I burn 4000 cals I need to eat 2800cals?
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    I assume this is 1200 net calories? For example If I burn 4000 cals I need to eat 2800cals?

I dont think so......I think it is saying if you want to lose weight and but be safe, you need to eat your basic need calories...the trick is to get an accurate number to start with

thats the way I am reading it anyway
  • krissynicole787
    krissynicole787 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I don't understand the part :
    "When you're trying to lose weight, your main goal is to create a calorie deficit (burn more calories than you take in)"

I'm supposed to eat 1200 cals a day. Does that mean I need to burn over 1200 cals a day? That seems to be impossible unless I work out on the elliptical for 2 hours.
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    "When you're trying to lose weight, your main goal is to create a calorie deficit (burn more calories than you take in)"

I'm supposed to eat 1200 cals a day. Does that mean I need to burn over 1200 cals a day? That seems to be impossible unless I work out on the elliptical for 2 hours.

no,,,you can creat a deficit with 10 cals on the ellptical..your body needs 1200 to stay the way it is with your normal activity...anything you burn with exercise will be over the 1200 you burn normally...if you just eat 1200 cals and do not exercise..you will stay the same weight
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options

no,,,you can creat a deficit with 10 cals on the ellptical..your body needs 1200 to stay the way it is with your normal activity...anything you burn with exercise will be over the 1200 you burn normally...if you just eat 1200 cals and do not exercise..you will stay the same weight

the overall goal to weight loss is to create a deficit at the end of the day - eat less calories than you burn. at 1200 calories you are already at a daily deficit - if you exercise that creates an even larger deficit

a deficit of about 500 calories a week is about a pound a week I beleive.
    your body needs calories to function, to live. If you eat 1200 calories and burn 600 in a workout, you've only left your body with 600 to work - like if you only put 1/2 tank of gas in your car, don't expect it to give you a full tank's worth of mileage. It needs fuel to keep going.

Yes you can lose weight fat by cutting your calories so low but is it the right way - probably not unless you want to lose muscle mass too.
  • Dave198lbs
    Options

that is the problem and the debate...if you need 1200 to survive at a normal state and you eat 1200...the theory is you are ok...if you burn 500 you then have a deficit of 500 and will lose 1 pound a week....if you burn 1000 you will lose 2 pounds a week....the theory here is that you have a built in deficit that is safe....so the site wants you to be safe and lose slowly...however, if you need 1200 to survive and burn 1000 you do not eat 2200....if you did, you would not lose any weight
  • chrissyh
    Options
    check out your BMR on the MFP tools that's what your body needs. I'll bet that it's higher than the 1200 number that keeps being thrown out there.

What is your BMR
    Your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) is an estimate of how many calories you'd burn if you were to do nothing but rest for 24 hours. It represents the minimum amount of energy needed to keep your body functioning, including breathing and keeping your heart beating.

Your BMR does not include the calories you burn from normal daily activities or exercise.

MFP is telling you that you should have the minimum base 1200 calories and add extra for the exercise - if you burned the extra thousand this site is telling you that yes indeed you should eat them. the base 1200 is the deficit and any extra you burn is extra you eat.

Again I reiterate what Banks said - 1200 is a womens # men's is higher.
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    check out your BMR on the MFP tools that's what your body needs. I'll bet that it's higher than the 1200 number that keeps being thrown out there.

What is your BMR
    Your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) is an estimate of how many calories you'd burn if you were to do nothing but rest for 24 hours. It represents the minimum amount of energy needed to keep your body functioning, including breathing and keeping your heart beating.

Your BMR does not include the calories you burn from normal daily activities or exercise.

the sites bmr does include normal activity..it just does not include extras like exercise..and yes..mine is much higher than the 1200 used as a base for women
  • chrissyh
    Options
    so you're burning more than you're eating if you eat 1200 and your BMR is 1500 - deficit daily is 300
    300 * 7 = 2100 deficit for the week.

Maybe this is a better way to explain it....

eat 1200/day
    exercise burn 500

1200 - 500 = 700 which is well below the minimal 1200, and WAY below what your BMR is.
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    so you're burning more than you're eating if you eat 1200 and your BMR is 1500 - deficit daily is 300
    300 * 7 = 2100 deficit for the week. yes this is true

Maybe this is a better way to explain it....

eat 1200/day
    exercise burn 500

1200 - 500 = 700 which is well below the minimal 1200, and WAY below what your BMR is.

if you need 1200 and eat 1200 then you are even...if you burn 500 with exercise you have a deficit of 500 but if you ate the 1200 to feed your bmr then the deficit is satisfied by fat and you lose weight...if you need 1200 and burn 500 and then eat 1700 you will stay the same weight
  • chrissyh
    Options
    1200 is already a deficit from what you "need". If you look at the BMR it tells you what you burn without doing anything else.

I guess I am doing a poor job explaining it....

go into my tools and do a maintenance goal - it will show you what you would need to eat in calories to stay where you are - anything less than that is a deficit creating weight loss.
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    1200 is already a deficit from what you "need". If you look at the BMR it tells you what you burn without doing anything else.

go into my tools and do a maintenance goal - it will show you what you would need to eat in calories to stay where you are - anything less than that is a deficit creating weight loss.

when the site give you the bmr you have to tell them if you are sedentary active etc..then it gives you your base
  • chrissyh
    Options
    So I looked mine up and 1920 is a maintenance goal (with no exercise) - so that's what I would need to eat to stay where I am....

so at 1400 a day like I am at I am 520 per day less than what my maintenance calories would be.
  • chrissyh
    Options

when the site give you the bmr you have to tell them if you are sedentary active etc..then it gives you your base

It asks you about activity in goals but not in the BMR

Maybe someone else will chime in and help explain it. I am heading off to visit the sandman!
  • Dave198lbs
    Options

It asks you about activity in goals but not in the BMR

ok..maybe it is me not explaining it well, sorry....whatever the bmr is...lets say 1500..that, maybe not here, is the base you need. Yes, here they build ina deficit for us. But if your basic need is 1500 for an active normal day and you burn 500 more. you wouldnt want to eat the 500 more if you want to lose weight. here, if the site says eat 1500 that has a built in deficit, true. But that is probably A 500 deficit and you coujld eat them back. I see your point...I was not including the built in deficit that MFP gives us
  • chrissysgreg
    Options
    it sounds like we are on the same path.

I think where I got confused is when I thought you were saying that 1200 was the base and lessen from that. - I am tired!

bottom line is don't go below 1200 after all is said and done.

If you only eat 1300 a day as your goal to lose a pound a week as set in MFP and you burn 600 in a workout your intake for the day is 700 which is below the 1200 so you would eat more than the original 1300 to keep your "base" above the 1200.

OOPS - I forgot I logged in for my husband to log his food!