Should I set BIG GOALS or MINI GOALS?

Options
I am a very goal oriented person and result oriented person. I need to see results to stay motivated.

Right now my goal is to go from 316lbs to 225lbs (no time limit).

- But maybe I should be setting my goal to more like 275lbs so I can achieve a major goal faster.

- Or maybe my goals shouldn't be about weight - they should be about measurements?

- Or maybe something else like fitness goals, activity goals, wellness goals, blood work goals?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,962 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Up to you.

Play around with it.

I set my goal weight and paid for a vacation in the tropics to coincide with the date that I would realistically be able to get close to that weight.

That was motivating.
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    It really depends on what works best for you.

For me, fitness needs to be my primary goal and weight a background project. Because losing weight is a limited process but fitness and being healthy is a lifetime thing. Then again, food logging and eating at a deficit (when I make the commitment to plan for it) is easy. Being consistent week after week with strength training is a challenge. Cardio comes easily enough, as long as I don't 'let' myself slack off too much!
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    I am a very goal oriented person and result oriented person. I need to see results to stay motivated.

Right now my goal is to go from 316lbs to 225lbs (no time limit).

- But maybe I should be setting my goal to more like 275lbs so I can achieve a major goal faster.

- Or maybe my goals shouldn't be about weight - they should be about measurements?

- Or maybe something else like fitness goals, activity goals, wellness goals, blood work goals?

Perhaps you should make it a goal to ask if you have areas of your life that being process driven is enough for you. The problem with saying that you must have goals and you must have results is that you are forcing yourself down one track. This is a track that does not seem to have a great record of results here and it never worked for me.

I doubt anyone's goal is to fail. So if everyone's goal is to succeed at losing weight what is that worth when 95 percent either won't get to goal or stay there if they do?

Ultimately your goal has to be to eat the correct number of calories to manage your weight properly. It starts by eating slightly less than your body requires so that weight loss occurs. After you have gotten to a healthier weight then you try to eat the full amount your body needs to keep your weight there for the rest of your life.

My big goal is to be at a healthier weight and fitter. That is a goal I constantly achieve and will continuously renew until I achieve maintenance.

My specific goal is to live today in a calorie deficit and be as happy as possible doing it. Happiness is my motivation.

To add a little sauce I will add short term goals when I see the potential ahead. I am challenging myself to my first multi-day hike next month. It makes it fun to have a challenge and it converts weight loss and exercise into preparation and training for a period of time. While I only have vanity pounds left each amount I lose does take more pressure off my knees.

• BuffyBourbon
    BuffyBourbon Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I like having both an overall goal, and a shorter term goal. My Overall goal was a total of 100# lost, without a time limit. Shorter term, in June i set a goal for myself to lose 30 by the end of the year. I'm slightly behind but it's helping me keep track of how i'm doing progress wise, without beating myself up that the 20# i've lost so far is not much compared to the total i need to lose - i'm doing pretty okay vs my 7mo goal.
  • ibrake4bunnies
    ibrake4bunnies Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I am 315 and wanting to get to about 210 to start. My first "big goal" is 275, then I'll get myself new jeans. I'll need them.
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I personally find it easier to focus on good habits and fitness goals.
    I ran a marathon last week, that achievement means much more to me than the number on the scale.

The weight loss comes alongside it, and if there's a continued downward trend I'm happy.

But that is entirely down to my priorities, how my brain works and what I find works for me.
  • AwesomeSquirrel
    AwesomeSquirrel Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    While I have some weight/measurement goals written down my day-to-day and month-to-month goals are habit driven.

Things like daily yoga practice, avg 10K steps, distance and pace targets for running, food routines.

I would suggest you create some type of habit goals in parallel to your ultimate goal weight/item of clothing to fit into. And personally I like combining large and small goals, every thing I get to tick off is an achievement and some things take longer than expected which means it’s nice to reach another goal in the meantime.
  • globalc00
    globalc00 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I think not having weight goals for short term, but diet and exercise routine goals will be more beneficial for people starting out. This will prevent you from getting frustrated after the weight stalls after the first few weeks. It's good you know what your long term goal is and you didn't set a time limit. Since you don't have a time limit, your intermediate goal should be, your weigh in or body fat should be less than what it was 2-3 months ago.
    Don't forget to adjust your diet and exercise though out your journey as the requirements will change just like the clothes wear. :smile:
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    YES! Set bigger goals and mini goals. Set goals for weight, fitness, activities, recipes, new foods, reading, etc. This way you are always succeeding in some areas. This was an essential approach for me to successfully lose 150 and maintain for 4 years.
  • Lolinloggen
    Lolinloggen Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Why does it have to be an or thing? As with all project management the end goal is divided in time and deliverable into minigoals/deliverables.
    For example my first minigoal on this journey was to fit back into my favourite pants, Then I went on to log for 100 days. Next up was an old skirt I had not fitted for years.
    The end result I was striving for was always a healthy BMI
    Once there my goals changed again but always little goals to get to in the foreseeable future
  • cupcakesandproteinshakes
    Options
    I don’t bother with goals. I have too many targets at work. This is just life for me now.
  • charmmeth
    charmmeth Posts: 936 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    I agree with those who say this is not either/or, but both and. Knowing what you are aiming for ultimately is a good thing, but you will need to break that down into smaller steps. I have never had to lose as much as you, but I set myself weight/scale related mini-goals which marks kgs and lbs, and also goals of a certain percentage of what I am hoping to lose. This means that the mini-goals come quite often. (It's not linear: I often hit a mini-goal and bounce back from it, and that is entirely normal.)
    Alongside that, setting goals that are entirely in your control (like logging food, exercising a certain amount each week) alongside the goals that are less in your control (like those related to your weight) is (s others have also said) a good idea. You might have a read through the NSV thread (non-scale victories) nd see what kind of things people find themselves celebrating. Once you reach your weight goal I suspect that these goals are what will keep youm maintaining. (That's what went wrong for me last time; now I am approaching goal again, I am thinking much harder about how to stay there...)
  • age_is_just_a_number
    Options
    It depends on what works for you.
    For me: I prefer smaller, sustainable goals along the way to bigger goals. Essentially, break goals up into milestones.

I track weight, body fat %, and measurements of thigh, hip, waist.
  • stevehenderson776
    stevehenderson776 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I have an overall goal of 162 in no set time period and a short term goal of 210 by new years Started at 284 in April. Sitting at 230 now.
    I like to do 3 month realistic goals.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    What worked for me was a series of goals along a path. My first goal was to not be morbidly obese and get my a1c to acceptable levels. Then it was to not be obese, then to be normal BMI, then to be in the middle of normal BMI. My goals now mainly have to do with physical accomplishments such as lifting a certain amount of weight.

Since seeing results is highly motivating to you, I would definitely set some smaller goals along the way. Getting down under 300 might be a good one to start with. And yes, measure and set goals for your fitness as well! Every little bit helps keep you motivated.
  • katescurios
    katescurios Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I have lots and reset them regularly, I also have a spreadsheet that I just love, it converts all my weights and tracks everything.

I started with 7lb loss, then 14lb, 21lb and 2 stone. I also have a goal from obese > overweight and overweight > healthy.5vhajofs63g4.jpeg
  • charmmeth
    charmmeth Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I have lots and reset them regularly, I also have a spreadsheet that I just love, it converts all my weights and tracks everything.

That's so impressive! I love my spreadsheet too, but it is not as sophisticated as yours, by a long way.
  • xodreamariexo
    xodreamariexo Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I find what works for me is doing 20 pounds at a time!