The 3,500 calories-per-pound myth...

Options
So, since this has been established to be a myth, how do you really know if you’re in trouble as far as weight gain is concerned? Say, for example, I burn 2,500 calories over the course of 24-hours but I consume 3,000 calories during that same time period. Now, the myth says that, if I continue to do this over the course of the next seven days/week, which is 500 extra calories per day for a total of 3,500 calories, I’ll gain a true pound of body fat.

However, since 3,500 calories-per-pound of body fat has now been established to be a myth, how do I know if I’m in trouble as far as any excess calories and, subsequently, extra pounds is/are concerned? I know everyone’s different, I know you need to be in a caloric deficit to lose weight and I highly doubt if I’m over my calorie burn by a calorie or two I’ll be in trouble in terms of weight gain, but how do I know the limit? I had been operating with the mentality that, if you wanted to gain a true pound of body fat over, say, a 24-hour time period, you needed to consume the calories you burned in addition to the previously established 3,500 calories, which is a pretty hefty amount of calories. However, if that’s incorrect, what is correct?

I apologize for the length!

Replies

• dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    The 3500 calorie estimate always worked well for me. In the beginning of the weight loss stage, though, it seemed like figuring out my maintenance calories to subtract from was always the moving target.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    So, since this has been established to be a myth, how do you really know if you’re in trouble as far as weight gain is concerned? Say, for example, I burn 2,500 calories over the course of 24-hours but I consume 3,000 calories during that same time period. Now, the myth says that, if I continue to do this over the course of the next seven days/week, which is 500 extra calories per day for a total of 3,500 calories, I’ll gain a true pound of body fat.

However, since 3,500 calories-per-pound of body fat has now been established to be a myth, how do I know if I’m in trouble as far as any excess calories and, subsequently, extra pounds is/are concerned? I know everyone’s different, I know you need to be in a caloric deficit to lose weight and I highly doubt if I’m over my calorie burn by a calorie or two I’ll be in trouble in terms of weight gain, but how do I know the limit? I had been operating with the mentality that, if you wanted to gain a true pound of body fat over, say, a 24-hour time period, you needed to consume the calories you burned in addition to the previously established 3,500 calories, which is a pretty hefty amount of calories. However, if that’s incorrect, what is correct?

I apologize for the length!

You're not going to gain a pound of fat in 24 hours no matter how many calories are in that pound. Your body just simply can't digest, process, and store that much food energy that quickly.

Whether a pound of fat is 3,500 calories or 50,000 or 50, you'll gain weight if you eat more than you burn and you'll lose weight if you burn more than you eat.

Whenever I gain or lose weight at a different speed than a 3,500 C pound would predict, it's because my food logging is sloppy.
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    A ramdom Google search is pretty much guaranteed to return nonsense answers near the top, when it's in the realm of health, diet or fitness. There's money to be made by convincing people that the simple truth is not really true, and that the site (with something to sell) knows the secret tricks/hacks/strategies.

Yes, and even more so when your search is so leading. If you search for the words "3500 calories 1lb myth", of course you're going to pull up sites featuring the same words. I just searched "earth is flat" and some of the first results are "5 facts that prove the earth is flat" and "why the earth is actually 100% flat".

Hold on! You mean the earth ISNT flat?!?!
  • gisem17
    gisem17 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I cant believe I'm encouraging the blatant hijacking of this threat. But...
    Of course the Earth is flat. Just look at a map. The confusion comes from higher dimentional geometry. 2 dimensional planes are curved in 3 dimensional space (just like 3D space is curved in 4D spacetime). So someone looking at our 2D world from a point outside will see a sphere, but that's only because they're seeing it from a higher dimensional perspective.