60 yrs and up

Replies

• alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    Mayo1961 wrote: »
    59 but close enough to join? This is my eight or ninth time starting on MFP. First time was very successful although I did not reach my goal or learn to maintain. Hopefully this time will be the last. I am going in with the mind set that it will take at least a year to lose lbs. We will see. Hope to partake and get to know you all.

Sure. Join us. No one is checking ID's at the door! HAHA! :D
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    @tnh2o Wow that is awesome!! When we visited dd in Alpharetta GA, we went to what I think was the start of the trail. (?) I thought that would be so much fun to do the trail, but when I heard how grueling it could be, probably not. Lol. Needless to say, only saw the beginning.
  • trekkie123
    trekkie123 Posts: 249 Member
    59 but close enough to join? This is my eight or ninth time starting on MFP. First time was very successful although I did not reach my goal or learn to maintain. Hopefully this time will be the last. I am going in with the mind set that it will take at least a year to lose lbs. We will see. Hope to partake and get to know you all.

Best of lick on your weight loss journey!
  • trekkie123

Best of LUCK that is! ☺️
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,191 Member
    ckwwzsjlyy2b.jpg
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    Love your inspirational posts, Ann! Thank you!

• j29t
    j29t Posts: 228 Member
    Hello 60+ friends. Hope all are doing well. This is the season where I seem to fall off the wagon and start regaining. Perhaps recognizing my weakness and committing to continually tracking (the good and the bad) will be the answer needed to avoid bad behavior. On the lighter side, I've been well and getting out in the beautiful fall weather for long walks. I joined my kids in their new RV for a great trip to Hatteras and Ocracoke Island, NC. The kids sent me a nice pair of walking poles that have been great for climbing the high dune paths to the ocean as well as the rocky terrain along the river closer to home.
    Keep up the good work, own the bad but keep moving forward.
    Friend hugs B)
  • trekkie123
    Looks absolutely beautiful!
  • Katydidtoo42
    Katydidtoo42 Posts: 2 Member
    I'm 77 and have been dealing with PMR (polymyalgia rheumatica) since the first of February. I am on Prednisone which most may know is a boon to feeling better, relieving pain due to inflammation but the most devastating side effect for me is weight gain. I am up over 20 lbs. and I was already 30# overweight. :o Many on the support site for PMR are recommending keto for a very helpful diet plan. I am trying to get started on that and it is difficult from the standpoint of cooking for a husband who doesn't want any such diet so equates to dual meal preparation. Hopefully there are some others here in a similar situation.
  • Born2Run1958
    Born2Run1958 Posts: 23 Member
    Hello all! Will be 62 in December although I don't feel that old. I am trying so hard to get ahead of the Covid curve. I like many others have gained weight (mostly due to sitting on my fat *kitten* during lockdown) Being self employed and work based on other people traveling it has been very hard to stay ahead. I have been a professional pet sitter for almost 20 years. I just need to be better about eating (not drinking) while waiting for things to get back to some semblance of normalcy. I wish each of you the very best.
    Sharon
  • lisaj5227
    lisaj5227 Posts: 13 Member
    I'm 61 284 lb and go to gym 5 days per week, I burn over 800 calories in a hour doing cardio according to my fitbit and MFP adds those calories back into my daily total. My question is this, when I set the MFP macro for my weight and activity level. I set it for very intense workouts 5 times per week and they based my daily totals from those numbers, should I add those 800 calories back on my daily total or not.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member
    lisaj5227 wrote: »
    I'm 61 284 lb and go to gym 5 days per week, I burn over 800 calories in a hour doing cardio according to my fitbit and MFP adds those calories back into my daily total. My question is this, when I set the MFP macro for my weight and activity level. I set it for very intense workouts 5 times per week and they based my daily totals from those numbers, should I add those 800 calories back on my daily total or not.

MFP doesn't use the workout frequency/intensity estimates you put in your profile, when it calculates your calorie goal. It uses that to set up info in the web version's exercise diary that tells you how you're doing in meeting your exercise intentions, and for some other motivational stuff. It doesn't affect the calorie goal calculation at all.

When calculating your calorie goal, MFP only uses your personal characteristics (height, weight, age, etc.) and the activity level setting. The instructions suggest (not very clearly, I think!) that the activity level should be based on your job and other daily life, before intentional exercise. If that's how you set things up, you would eat back the Fitbit adjustment.
  • tnh2o
    tnh2o Posts: 155 Member
    @RetiredAndLovingIt To even get to the southern terminus of the AT, Springer Mountain, involves a hike. Most commonly people start at Amicalola Falls and hike 8.8 to even get to the start or they drive on forest service roads to a parking area and hike a mile on rough terrain. But there are numerous places to park and do a day hike on the AT. I'm ready to go backpacking again but my next trip is camping on Cumberland Island, GA.
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,268 Member
    j29t wrote: »
    Hello 60+ friends. Hope all are doing well. This is the season where I seem to fall off the wagon and start regaining. Perhaps recognizing my weakness and committing to continually tracking (the good and the bad) will be the answer needed to avoid bad behavior. On the lighter side, I've been well and getting out in the beautiful fall weather for long walks. I joined my kids in their new RV for a great trip to Hatteras and Ocracoke Island, NC. The kids sent me a nice pair of walking poles that have been great for climbing the high dune paths to the ocean as well as the rocky terrain along the river closer to home.
    Keep up the good work, own the bad but keep moving forward.
    Friend hugs B)

I am not sure this is always the season I fall off but last year I did and I am on my guard this time. Last year I had finally started losing weight I had regained. Then in late October I started gaining. Of course gaining is always faster/easier than losing. It wasn't until mid December I was able to turn things around. I struggled with exercise when the gym/pool closed in the spring but I found ways to start exercising more at home. I also wasn't commuting and with being put on furlough I had time to make meals at home and exercise. I started losing. I got rid of the gain from the fall, and I kept going. My loss has slowed this summer and I am trying to keep it going.
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,268 Member
    It has been a while since I have posted here so thought I would do a small update.

I lost almost 20 lbs since our State started to "stay home stay safe" policies. Due to my age I asked to work at home and then my office shut down. I was put on furlough. I struggled with exercise even when I had more time since I used to go to Aquafit 3 times a week and the pool closed. It worked well with knee issues. However we had been struggling making meals at home before working full time and commuting. The pandemic meant no more Starbuck's on the way to work. It meant planning meals and getting groceries more safely. It meant making all meals at home except eventually a few take out meals for special occasions. That is why I lost. However it has been slowing down lately.

I do 2 strength training sessions a week. The rest of the time I either walk or use my Gazelle which is a cheap version of an elliptical but more like doing cross country skiing. My weight is the only resistance but for now I have plenty of that. I have been working on getting finances and our home ready for retirement. I was on unemployment and eventually was laid off so I was applying for work even though due to the pandemic it wasn't required in our State. In retirement planning I figured out that I needed to continue to work even though I am over retirement age for social security. I got interviews for the 1st 2 jobs I applied for (I have alot of good experience and credentials) and have finally got an offer for one of those. The public sector hiring is slower. I will be making much more than before and for now it is remote.

Now I am trying to set up things to keep up my healthy routine despite going back to work. It is a short term job and by the time it ends we should be in much better shape to retire. I think it is likely I may have an extension to the contract. We have been getting our finances in better shape and working on our home the last few years. The job starts in November so I have a few weeks to get things set up. I am cleaning out my art room to set up a home office. When I start working in the office it will be all ready to be able to do my art in when I have time. I wanted to get it cleaned out before but the transfer station and Goodwill both closed. Today I went to donate now that Goodwill opened back up. It felt good.
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    edited October 2020
    @tnh2o Yeah, now that you say it, I remember it was Amicalola Falls. Dd lives in OK now, so probably won’t be going to Alpharetta again.
  • sarita_vids
    sarita_vids Posts: 2 Member
    Hi Everyone! I'm Sarah...finally getting serious and my goal is to be healthier. I have 4 grandkids I want to see grow up!