Calorie Counter

Message Boards Introduce Yourself
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

60 yrs and up

17576788081

Replies

  • kermitchkermitch Member, Premium Posts: 17 Member Member, Premium Posts: 17 Member
    Hi from New Zealand!
    Way down under, where we work in kilograms so I often have to get my thinking cap on when I read progress from others. 2.2 pd equals one kilo. I'm new to this but inspired after always being slim, to now getting that tummy spread :( and I think my blood pressure has crept up a tad high. My heartbeat used to be under 55 per minute, often only 52, now it's way up high 60s. So I want to get some changes done.
  • mrsbfemrsbfe Member, Premium Posts: 52 Member Member, Premium Posts: 52 Member
    Hello all! Will be 62 in December although I don't feel that old.
    Sharon
    I'll be 63 Dec 23, and I only feel that old when I look in the mirror! I really try to only look in the mirror to make sure I don't have spinach in my teeth and my clothes aren't inside out. :# My mother used to say she always felt like she was 18. Somedays I feel "old" but most of the time I really don't.

  • mrsbfemrsbfe Member, Premium Posts: 52 Member Member, Premium Posts: 52 Member
    I'm 63 and live in Ohio. Body image and eating disorders have always been a struggle. My mom was a clothing designer, and my abusive ex expected a trophy wife. So the results of that, along with depression and anxiety, have added CPTSD to my list of "issues." It's very difficult for me to have a realistic idea of how much I should weigh, or what I should look like. My cholesterol and blood sugar are good, but my BP is too high. I'm trying to use my BP numbers as a goal and not my weight (very difficult).

    My body has restricted my exercise with a spinal fusion and wonky wrists, so I mostly walk or use my elliptical. I live on 13 acres, mostly woods, in southern Ohio, and I'm hoping to get in some hiking as well. I'm going to have to learn how to use a compass or tie ribbons to trees so I don't get lost! I know I need to do some strength training again, but I'm really not sure what to do about that. I'm open to suggestions (I have a 10 lb lifting limit).

    If you read this far, thank you. I look forward to both giving and receiving support. <3
  • KeriAKeriA Member Posts: 3,609 Member Member Posts: 3,609 Member
    As to not feeling that old I had a nice thing happen when the pandemic started. My employer sent out an email and among other things asked anyone over 60 or having underlying health issues to ask to work from home if possible. My son had been begging us to do this so I did and got permission. Gossip at work is fast. At lunch 2 coworkers were talking next to my cubicle. Then one asked me if she could ask me a question. I said okay. She asked me how old I was. It turns out they couldn't believe I was old enough to ask to work from home. Not sure how they knew I had asked since I hadn't mentioned it to anyone yet. I am 67. I don't even dye my hair and it is mostly grey in the front although it is pretty nice. I worked from home less than 1 day before the office shut down and we were all on paid leave for that 1st month.
  • KeriAKeriA Member Posts: 3,609 Member Member Posts: 3,609 Member
    mrsbfe wrote: »
    I'm 63 and live in Ohio. Body image and eating disorders have always been a struggle. My mom was a clothing designer, and my abusive ex expected a trophy wife. So the results of that, along with depression and anxiety, have added CPTSD to my list of "issues." It's very difficult for me to have a realistic idea of how much I should weigh, or what I should look like. My cholesterol and blood sugar are good, but my BP is too high. I'm trying to use my BP numbers as a goal and not my weight (very difficult).

    My body has restricted my exercise with a spinal fusion and wonky wrists, so I mostly walk or use my elliptical. I live on 13 acres, mostly woods, in southern Ohio, and I'm hoping to get in some hiking as well. I'm going to have to learn how to use a compass or tie ribbons to trees so I don't get lost! I know I need to do some strength training again, but I'm really not sure what to do about that. I'm open to suggestions (I have a 10 lb lifting limit).

    If you read this far, thank you. I look forward to both giving and receiving support. <3

    Before the pandemic I did aquafit. So now that the pool closed I had to find a way to do strength training and cardio since Aquafit did both without reinjuring my knees. I had put together an at home strength training routine when I had more time to exercise before I went back to work. So I found that on the computer and tweeked it. It starts out with 5 minutes on my Gazelle, then I go to my back yard with some 5 lb weights and 2 shampoo bottles. I do some body weight and free weight exercises ( bicep curls, dumbell rows, dumbell press, front shoulder raises, lateral raises, with my knees I can't do deep knee bends so I use a chair to do sit/stands, I also do some high knee marches, leg lifts, arm circles and kick backs, I do a modified push up on a wall) then I come in and do some more lying down (like bench press lying down, planks and pilates roll ups, more leg lifts etc.) then stretches. I do this one day a week. I found my resistance bands so I found a video to do with them on another day. That gives me 2 strength training sessions a week. I separate them by a day. I try to get a walk, cardio video or gazelle on at least 3 days. Of course you will need to know which you can do and which you can't. I really needed smaller weights for some of these so that is why I use shampoo bottles. I go outside to get some fresh air and sun. Take it slow and tweek things to suit yourself.

    All the best with finding what works for you.
  • KathleenkirkendollKathleenkirkendoll Member Posts: 19 Member Member Posts: 19 Member
    Feel free to add me as a friend. I am 75 years old. I have been using MyFitnessPal for nearly 7 yr. off and on. Have lost nearly 75 lb., but would like to lose another 15. It helps so much to use this website keeps you accountable and the inspiration you get from friends is a plus.
  • mrsbfemrsbfe Member, Premium Posts: 52 Member Member, Premium Posts: 52 Member
    KeriA wrote: »
    I had put together an at home strength training routine when I had more time to exercise before I went back to work. So I found that on the computer and tweeked it. It starts out with 5 minutes on my Gazelle, then I go to my back yard with some 5 lb weights and 2 shampoo bottles. I do some body weight and free weight exercises ( bicep curls, dumbell rows, dumbell press, front shoulder raises, lateral raises, with my knees I can't do deep knee bends so I use a chair to do sit/stands, I also do some high knee marches, leg lifts, arm circles and kick backs, I do a modified push up on a wall) then I come in and do some more lying down (like bench press lying down, planks and pilates roll ups, more leg lifts etc.) then stretches. I do this one day a week. I found my resistance bands so I found a video to do with them on another day. That gives me 2 strength training sessions a week. I separate them by a day. I try to get a walk, cardio video or gazelle on at least 3 days. Of course you will need to know which you can do and which you can't. I really needed smaller weights for some of these so that is why I use shampoo bottles. I go outside to get some fresh air and sun. Take it slow and tweek things to suit yourself.

    All the best with finding what works for you.

    This sounds great. I like the idea of exercising outside, I walk outside but it never occurred to me to exercise too. Sounds like it would be much more pleasant. I have a low weight kettle ball and I think a couple very low weight tiny dumbells. I'll look online and see what I can do.
  • RetiredAndLovingItRetiredAndLovingIt Member Posts: 830 Member Member Posts: 830 Member
    @mrsbfe We have almost the same birthday! Mine is Dec. 22, but I have a few years on you..I will be 71, and I don’t feel it either, lol.
  • kermitchkermitch Member, Premium Posts: 17 Member Member, Premium Posts: 17 Member
    mrsbfe wrote: »
    I'm 63 and live in Ohio. Body image and eating disorders have always been a struggle. My mom was a clothing designer, and my abusive ex expected a trophy wife. So the results of that, along with depression and anxiety, have added CPTSD to my list of "issues." It's very difficult for me to have a realistic idea of how much I should weigh, or what I should look like. My cholesterol and blood sugar are good, but my BP is too high. I'm trying to use my BP numbers as a goal and not my weight (very difficult).

    My body has restricted my exercise with a spinal fusion and wonky wrists, so I mostly walk or use my elliptical. I live on 13 acres, mostly woods, in southern Ohio, and I'm hoping to get in some hiking as well. I'm going to have to learn how to use a compass or tie ribbons to trees so I don't get lost! I know I need to do some strength training again, but I'm really not sure what to do about that. I'm open to suggestions (I have a 10 lb lifting limit).

    If you read this far, thank you. I look forward to both giving and receiving support. <3
    Will be interested to see how you go with you blood pressure. I'm just hitting the high on my monitor (getting to 140+) which gives me a red warning. I'm trying to leave out as much salt as I can, and I've also heard magnesium is very good for getting it down. Don't know how correct that is, but I do often take a serious magnesium/vitamin C drink for sleep and stress. Does it help???? Can't really tell, but I'm sure I've felt better when I'm on it.
    I'm 62, still working. The pension (government superannuation) kicks in here at 65, so I'm working at least until then.
    Add me as a friend if you like, would be great to watch our BPs together.
  • alteredsteve175alteredsteve175 Member Posts: 2,199 Member Member Posts: 2,199 Member
    Hi, all. Welcome to all the new folks who've posted in this thread lately. Have not had much time for social media lately. It's good to see you all being active and striving for better health. Will try to check in here more often in the future.
  • mrsbfemrsbfe Member, Premium Posts: 52 Member Member, Premium Posts: 52 Member
    kermitch wrote: »
    Will be interested to see how you go with you blood pressure. I'm just hitting the high on my monitor (getting to 140+) which gives me a red warning. I'm trying to leave out as much salt as I can, and I've also heard magnesium is very good for getting it down. Don't know how correct that is, but I do often take a serious magnesium/vitamin C drink for sleep and stress. Does it help???? Can't really tell, but I'm sure I've felt better when I'm on it.
    I'm 62, still working. The pension (government superannuation) kicks in here at 65, so I'm working at least until then.
    Add me as a friend if you like, would be great to watch our BPs together.
    For decades, my blood pressure has seemed related to my weight. I'm looking at the DASH diet, and I take a multivitamin for seniors :| that was recommended by my doctor. My "normal" BP has been 145/90ish for quite a long time. My doctor isn't happy, but it could be related to a couple antidepressants I take. When it hit 163/106 a couple weeks ago was when I realized I needed to do more about my weight and exercise than I had been. I haven't worked for about 30 years. Basically my brain "blew up" (long story-domestic violence survivor), and I eventually was deemed disabled and have been receiving Social Security Disability since then. My husband is retiring in six months, and I told him I'd "retire" then also. I'm going to stop referring to myself as disabled and be a retiree. I should have stopped using that word a long time ago, but it became habit as the answer to "what do you do?"

  • linnieaikenslinnieaikens Member, Premium Posts: 2 Member Member, Premium Posts: 2 Member
    Hello! I am just joining this group/thread. You gals sound like a fun group. I turn 60 in a few weeks, am a teacher of 30 years, originally from Hollywood, CA (17 yrs), Santa Barbara, CA (40 yrs) and now Southern Utah these past 3 years. I still find it hard to say I am a Utahan since I still think of myself as a Santa Barbara gal. I dearly miss my morning beach walks! I miss the colors green and blue! (of course, with the fires, it's more gray and taupe--sad!) I just started (July 1) to take serious control of my health (again...but committed to a forever lifestyle change now!!) using my Fitness Pal and FitBit. I am down 28 lbs since July 1 and have 50 more to go to reach a good weight for me. (Ideal weight numbers always made my ribs stick out. I just want to wear pants with a button and zipper without a big muffin top!..I was raised with the mantra to hold your stomach in!!... before it was okay to let it all hang out...still can't do it!!) I am trying to fine-tune the macros on FitnessPal, but all the responses out there are from 20-something people, whose answers seem a little unrealistic for me. I am supposed to stay under 40% carbs, am 5ft2in and have been doing 1200 cal./day and walking 10,000+ steps/day just at work (okay, so that includes 6-7 times running to the bathroom on the other side of school between classes at my age!) plus another 3,000+ step walk after dinner. Does anyone have some idea of what to put my macros at? I am currently losing about 1 lb/wk at <40% net carbs, 30% protein and 30% fats. Does this sound about right or do I need to adjust the protein and fat?

    Linnie
    Santa Barbara,CA/So.Utah
  • trekkie123trekkie123 Member Posts: 114 Member Member Posts: 114 Member
    Hello! I am just joining this group/thread. You gals sound like a fun group. I turn 60 in a few weeks, am a teacher of 30 years, originally from Hollywood, CA (17 yrs), Santa Barbara, CA (40 yrs) and now Southern Utah these past 3 years. I still find it hard to say I am a Utahan since I still think of myself as a Santa Barbara gal. I dearly miss my morning beach walks! I miss the colors green and blue! (of course, with the fires, it's more gray and taupe--sad!) I just started (July 1) to take serious control of my health (again...but committed to a forever lifestyle change now!!) using my Fitness Pal and FitBit. I am down 28 lbs since July 1 and have 50 more to go to reach a good weight for me. (Ideal weight numbers always made my ribs stick out. I just want to wear pants with a button and zipper without a big muffin top!..I was raised with the mantra to hold your stomach in!!... before it was okay to let it all hang out...still can't do it!!) I am trying to fine-tune the macros on FitnessPal, but all the responses out there are from 20-something people, whose answers seem a little unrealistic for me. I am supposed to stay under 40% carbs, am 5ft2in and have been doing 1200 cal./day and walking 10,000+ steps/day just at work (okay, so that includes 6-7 times running to the bathroom on the other side of school between classes at my age!) plus another 3,000+ step walk after dinner. Does anyone have some idea of what to put my macros at? I am currently losing about 1 lb/wk at <40% net carbs, 30% protein and 30% fats. Does this sound about right or do I need to adjust the protein and fat?

    Linnie
    Santa Barbara,CA/So.Utah

    Hi Linnie and welcome! Seems to me that if you are losing a pound a week that you are doing everything right. I wouldn’t change a thing! Keep up the great work!
  • Kirkland13Kirkland13 Member Posts: 8 Member Member Posts: 8 Member
    Good morning, I'm 68 and have gained 20 lbs since January. I'm disgusted with being overfat and feel blah however, I'm going to stay positive and try harder. I'm a sugar addict so now eliminating all sugars and going low carb (somewhat keto plan). I need support and motivation. Thanks for listening!
  • Born2Run1958Born2Run1958 Member, Premium Posts: 7 Member Member, Premium Posts: 7 Member
    I think we all make a fine group. I just don't want to be one of those souls listed as having comorbidity during this awful time. I am overweight for sure, but healthy overall and mostly grateful for I have been given in this life. I just would like to healthier and lighter.
  • AnnPT77AnnPT77 Member, Premium Posts: 17,069 Member Member, Premium Posts: 17,069 Member
    @linnieaikens, that sounds reasonable for macros. It's not vital to hit exactly, as long as things are averaging out over a few days. Also, sometimes tweaking is needed for individual reasons, like satiation or energy level.

    Personally, I prefer to estimate macros in grams, set percents to something that brings me close. While losing (at age 59-60), I shot for minimum 0.6-0.8g protein per pound of healthy goal weight, minimum 0.35-0.45g of fat per pound of bodyweight (men maybe a little lower) prioritizing healthy fats (MUFA/PUFA), and just letting carbs fall wherever to balance calories.

    Now 64 (65 next month) and maintaining a healthy weight, I just target minimum 100g protein, 50g fat, still use carbs to balance, ignoring the percents, pretty much.

    Just my opinions throughout, of course.

    Wishing you all the best!

    And welcome to all the new folks!
  • mrsbfemrsbfe Member, Premium Posts: 52 Member Member, Premium Posts: 52 Member
    linnieaikens I lived in Southern California for about 35 years, then Santa Clara, CA. I had to move to AZ to get away from an abusive ex, and that was a huge shock to my system. I missed the beach and greenery so much. I now live in Southern Ohio, which was another big change for me - very rural, huge culture shock, but my husband is worth it and I live on 13 acres, mostly woods (but still miss the beach). I was raised by a clothing designer, so I understand the keep-your-stomach-in programming. It was so ingrained, that when I started yoga I had to force myself to let my stomach muscles relax. It was a big deal to me, and very difficult.
  • AnnPT77AnnPT77 Member, Premium Posts: 17,069 Member Member, Premium Posts: 17,069 Member
    What great photos, @annliz23: I can almost feel their energy and excitement, and they look so graceful and beautiful! 😊
  • alteredsteve175alteredsteve175 Member Posts: 2,199 Member Member Posts: 2,199 Member
    Love the photos of your dogs, Ann! Reminds me that I need to take more photos myself.

    @linnieaikens - Good advice from @trekkie123 and @AnnPT77. My goals are 30% carbs/40% fat/30% protein. That works best for me. Just find what works for you.

    Good to see all the people posting in this thread. Please add me as a friend if you like. Always glad to share support and encouragement.
Sign In or Register to comment.