Hunger - tips to take the edge off between meals and at night

Replies

• TamLam99
    TamLam99 Posts: 247 Member
    You say your goal is set to a 1/2 lb a week, but what's been your actual weight loss average? If you're losing more than that, maybe you can afford to eat a little more.

Are you tracking fiber? Fiber is HUGE in me not feeling ravenous. Oatmeal is a good start to my day. We also buy radishes, carrots, and bell peppers every week, then wash and cut them up so they're readily available. Jicama and celery are other good raw options. They're there for those super-hungry moments, and the fiber content helps immensely. If you just can't stomach the veggies, apples and raspberries are pretty high fiber as well. Quest bars are another option - they're very high fiber for a protein bar, but they're a lot more calorie-dense than a pile of veg.

When I stick to my calories I lose 1/2 to 1 pound a week. I haven't really paid much attention to fiber, maybe I'll try to add more and see if it helps. I just bought some protein bars but they are 200 calories each, I usually cut it in half for a 100 snack after dinner.
  • TamLam99
    TamLam99 wrote: »
    I have 60-70 pounds to lose. I also have a huge appetite and a picky palate. I struggle with veggies, I only really like a limited few and I try to incorporate them in daily but I will never be the person who would sit down with a giant plate of brocolli(vile weed-Seinfeld fans).

Eating 1 small and 2 larger meals seems to be better than tiny snacks all day.

One thing that helped my husband (also picky) when he was trying to add more vegetables to his diet was experimenting with different ways of cooking them and eating them when his hunger was keenest. He has limited luck eating them as a traditional side because he prefers the other foods on his plate. But he now has 1-2 vegetables just about every day as an afternoon snack or a pre-dinner appetizer. He also experimented with different seasonings and dressings to add more flavor.

Another benefit: by taking the edge off his hunger, he's naturally shifted to smaller portions at dinner which can be helpful from a lifelong weight management perspective as well.

(I don't know if you were looking for advice about how to eat more vegetables, but your post made me think of him so I'm sharing on the off chance it might be helpful).

I'm super picky especially with vegetables but I always like to try new ones, I am not fond of bitter or earthy (broccoli, mushrooms, even celery is bitter to me). I do like having sliced up peppers for salads and snacks, I make ranch dip with lite sour cream and hidden valley seasoning.

I am hungriest at dinner time, not sure how the smaller portion would work but worth a try.
  • errollmaclean
    errollmaclean Posts: 562 Member
    Definitely fiber. All-bran buds are my go to as they're the lowest calorie highest fiber/easiest thing I've found. I mix them with a protein shake, so basically like having a bowl of cereal.

You just have to keep experimenting and make a note of what leaves you feeling hungry and what doesn't. It's a process and sometimes you just have to be mindful that finding out what doesn't work, is still progress towards finding out what does work. Sometimes you get lucky and find something that works right away and sometimes it's a very long series of: "Well, that didn't work... like at all. What else can I try?" As long as you stay pointed in the right direction, and don't give up, you'll eventually reach your destination.

What's worked the best for me is noting when I have the best self control (during the day) and saving calories for when I don't (the evening/night).
  • TamLam99
    So what are some good leaner protein snacks for around 100 calories ? I always have in the house some laughing cow cheese, pistachios, almonds, peppers/dip, fruit, or a slice of lite bread with peanut butter, popcorn (air popped), protein bars (cut in half - 100 cal). My sour cream dip is only 45 calories for 2 Tbsp.
  • TamLam99
    Definitely fiber. All-bran buds are my go to as they're the lowest calorie highest fiber/easiest thing I've found. I mix them with a protein shake, so basically like having a bowl of cereal.

You just have to keep experimenting and make a note of what leaves you feeling hungry and what doesn't. It's a process and sometimes you just have to be mindful that finding out what doesn't work, is still progress towards finding out what does work. Sometimes you get lucky and find something that works right away and sometimes it's a very long series of: "Well, that didn't work... like at all. What else can I try?" As long as you stay pointed in the right direction, and don't give up, you'll eventually reach your destination.

What's worked the best for me is noting when I have the best self control (during the day) and saving calories for when I don't (the evening/night).

I haven't tried the All bran buds, just googled and they look like grape nuts which are great in yogurt for some crunch.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    edited October 2020
    So what are some good leaner protein snacks for around 100 calories ? I always have in the house some laughing cow cheese, pistachios, almonds, peppers/dip, fruit, or a slice of lite bread with peanut butter, popcorn (air popped), protein bars (cut in half - 100 cal). My sour cream dip is only 45 calories for 2 Tbsp.

Laughing cow...those are ok for protein to calories. Lowfat cottage cheese, low fat greek yogurt, eggs or egg whites, eggs are about on par with laughing cow, lean deli meats, lower calorie smoked salmon, pb fit, tuna canned in water.

Popcorn, bread, unless high protein bread is used, peanut butter, nuts and seeds are low in protein for the amount of calories.

**edit** Have you ever wondered why bodybuilders eat the way they do? Brocolli, sweet potatoes, and chicken kind of meals are satiating for low calories. When someone is trying to get their bf to a place where it was never meant to go, they will do anything to stay satisfied. We are talking mid single digits for men and low teens for ladies. I mean they are peeled! Beyond shredded. Your Ghrelin starts beating you senseless! Not saying you should try and go there, but maybe take a few tips from their books.
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 909 Member
    protein snacks... here are the ones i eat -

dannon light & fit greek yogurt - 80 calories, 12 grams of protein, and the cherry, peach and vanilla are yummy.

hard boiled egg whites or i buy liquid egg whites, weigh out 96 grams and pan fry (non-stick pan, no oil), and i might wrap it around a little spinach with 2 sprinkles of parmesan.

1 serving of light cottage cheese

1 serving of light cheddar or light cheese of your choice or 3/4 serving of full fat cheese

half a bag of quest protein chips (i LOVE the chili lime ones)

half a quest bar (my preferences are double chocolate chunk, lemon cake and chocolate chip cookie dough)

i don't eat meat, but if you do, maybe a piece of chicken breast?
  • limex
    limex Posts: 81 Member
    This will probably be controversial, but berberine has been doing wonders for me. I still get hungry, but not that deep stomach pain, I MUST eat kind of hunger.
  • sarahbetherck
    sarahbetherck Posts: 270 Member
    I do 16:8 intermittent fasting so I only eat lunch, snacks and dinner. I adjusted to it pretty quickly and tend to be busy in the morning so waiting until noon-ish to eat isn't so bad and then my lunch can be decently sized, plus snacks and then a good sized dinner. It's not for everyone, but it's helped me a lot!
  • charmmeth
    charmmeth Posts: 936 Member
    I wonder if you might try some different ways of preparing vegetables so that you like the taste? I am not a great fan of broccoli, but my husband loves it. I have a recipe for broccoli, or broccoli and cauliflower roasted in the oven with a dollop of olive oil and a srpinkling of parmesan cheese, and then I really like it. Yesterday we parboiled it, then finished it in a frying pan/skillet in a little olive oil, some garlic and a squeeze of lemon juice, and it was delicious. What I am saying is that vegetables taste really different depending on how you prepare them. I probably would not have borthered to look for ways of doing broccoli if my husband hadn't really wanted to eat it, but done this way I like it too. These days, I roast, grill or fry almost all my veggies.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,724 Member

A good brand of nonfat Greek yogurt can be well over twice the volume, and give you 8g protein. The taste, especially with seasonings, is close to sour cream.

I like

* Lowfat (2%) string cheese (around 80 calories, 7g protein)
    * 100 calorie packs of crispy broad beans (7g protein),
    * puppodums I microwave without adding fat (20 calories for a tortilla-sized crispy round, 2g protein),
    * lowfat cottage cheese (80 cals, 13g protein per half cup),
    * Yasso frozen Greek yogurt bars (100 calories, 5g protein),
    * hard-boiled eggs (70 calories, 6g protein),
    * Lupini beans (90,g about 1/3C, for 100cal and 11g protein)
    * Dry-roasted soybeans, plain or flavored (100 calorie packs, 11g protein).

Stats from brands I use, but others should be close.

A good combination IMO for a snack is frozen berries mixed with nonfat plain Greek yogurt and PB2 chocolate peanut butter powder. (Calories/nutrients depend on portions and proportions, but it's pretty calorie & protein efficient).

Tuna packets, shrimp, and chicken aresome options for non-vegetarians.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,928 Member
    edited October 2020
    psychod787 wrote: »
    psychod787 wrote: »
    I have 60-70 pounds to lose. I also have a huge appetite and a picky palate. I struggle with veggies, I only really like a limited few and I try to incorporate them in daily but I will never be the person who would sit down with a giant plate of brocolli(vile weed-Seinfeld fans).

Eating 1 small and 2 larger meals seems to be better than tiny snacks all day.

If you have a large appetite, I would suggest higher protein intake. 1.6g per kg at least and learn to love fruits and veggies.

**edit** are you hungry? Or just wanting? TRUE HUNGER can be satisfied by almost any calorie containing food. Picture not eating for an week and the only food you get is a carrot. I am guessing you would take that damn carrot and it would taste amazing. True hunger is the best sauce imho..

Lol I'd eat bugs at that point.

You could try calculating how many calories you would get in maintenance at your ideal weight and eat that much till you get there. The deficit would gradually shrink as you get closer. If you're close to goal that might be a smaller deficit than what you're doing too. It might take longer but feel better.

You also mentioned fat and protein but don't forget about fibre! Also how is your sleep? I'm way more hungry when I dont get enough sleep. Are you getting your 8 to 9 hours a night? Is it regular?

You could also play with the following and see if it helps:

1) many small meals
    2) 2 or 3 HUGE meals (i like feeling stuffed)
    3) and eating window
    4) ...? There are probably more options I cant think of right now...
    5) maybe eat maintenance calories a few times a week and a deficit the rest of the days.
  • eatyogarun
    eatyogarun Posts: 59 Member
    If you're actually hungry and it's not a daily thing, eat something. I find a 100 calorie pack of almonds helps tide me over. If it is daily, you probably need to up your calorie goal to something more manageable.
  • Raegold
    Raegold Posts: 191 Member
    I feel this... I'm just hungry on a deficit, like gnawing hungry. It's not as terrible if I do higher protein and fat, but it's still bad some days.

When I feel that way, I have a flavored sparkling water or a flavored herbal tea. And I think about how I must be burning calories if I'm this hungry.... Wish I had a solution!!
  • xxzenabxx
    xxzenabxx Posts: 935 Member
    What have you tried that actually works to take the edge off true hunger, stomach growling, irritable, my body needs food hunger ? There are days when I feel very hungry between meals or at the end of the day when I've used up all my calories. I always eat my exercise calories and have my goals set to only 1/2 pound a week. I have also tried upping my protein and fat which sometimes helps but there are some days that I just feel uncomfortable nagging hunger all day.

I've tried drinking coffee, or cup of broth, eating pickles, water, sugar free popsicles.

Any other tips, tricks, or suggestions that you have found helpful ?

How many calories are you eating everyday (roughly) and what are your stats? Maybe you’re being too aggressive with your goal especially if you’re feeling irritable. Also how much fat are you eating? And fibre? Protein? Those might be more satiating to you. I’m in maintenance, but even when I was in a deficit I ate 40-50% of my calories from fats. Things like olives, and protein + fat combos like houmous, fullfat Greek yoghurt, nuts, salmon, feta cheese, peanut butter, almond butter etc. Everyone is different so you’re going to have to experiment. You still have 60-70 lbs to go so you want to make this as sustainable as possible. You shouldn’t feel miserable.

Another thing that used to make me hungry was HIIT/circuit training type workouts. Maybe your workouts are making you more hungry? Now I do Pilates, yoga and walking. Will add weights back in after a few weeks. Now I’m not hungry at all! Infact now I have to eat even earlier just so I can fit all my calories in.

And lastly- how is your sleep? If you don’t sleep properly that can cause Ghrelin to go up so definitely look at your sleep too.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Are you getting hungry at the same time of day?

I find I like to snack in the evening and often feel hungry at night. So I adjust my eating. I have a very light but high fibre breakfast - oat meal or sultana bran and a cup of coffee. I then have a reasonable lunch, a light dinner, and a snack about 730pm before going to bed. I try to save about 200 calories for that after dinner snack because I like to eat in the evening, and I'm not bothered in the morning. Or I'll just skip breakfast entirely.