Make ahead breakfast recipes

VeryKatie
VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
edited October 2020 in Recipes
Looking for recipes that I can eat and serve my toddlers for breakfast! Ideally something I can make ahead so that my husband can grab and go or serve quickly in the mornings if the kids are very hungry. They've had cereal most mornings and it just isn't cutting it.

One kid is picky... one might eat overnight oats but he wont... and honestly those aren't my favourite either.

Filling foods with either protein, fat or fibre or any combo... no known allergies... possibly shelfish though. Not that I'd be likely to serve that for breakfast anyway.

Sweet is good... but I dont want breakfast to look like dessert.

Replies

• B_Plus_Effort
    B_Plus_Effort Posts: 311 Member
    edited October 2020
    I hard boil 5 eggs every Sunday night and grab one every morning if I eat breakfast, easy and healthy, I also pre make a cup of oatmeal with a drop of vanilla extract and a banana and or blue berries, then put it in topper wear small containers and shove it in the fridge, you can also try wheat tortilla, nutella or almond butter and banana roll ups, then there's breakfast burritos, simple, refried beans, eggs, and cheese (i do 1 cup egg whites and three whole eggs) but you do you

6i7vuqcgtob9.jpg

xwe0tnkxel3p.jpg

• VeryKatie
    edited October 2020
    Ooohh my picky eater would probably love those banana roll ups, great idea!! I will try that... ... for snack time today and see hownit goes. My 1 year old might struggle to eat it but I can maybe modify it a bit for her.
  • B_Plus_Effort
    edited October 2020
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    Ooohh my picky eater would probably love those banana roll ups, great idea!! I will try that... ... for snack time today and see hownit goes. My 1 year old might struggle to eat it but I can maybe modify it a bit for her.

great you can get them hooked like a crack dealer by adding strawberry or grape jelly (get the sugar free kind) in them too, and then slowly add less and less, ha ha

also apple sauce mixed in with the oatmeal is the bomb, and add a cup of egg whites to your oatmeal when you boil it and bam, instant protein blast (egg whites in a carton are your friend and secret weapon)
  • VeryKatie
    edited October 2020
    muszyngr wrote: »

great you can get them hooked like a crack dealer by adding strawberry or grape jelly (get the sugar free kind) in them too, and then slowly add less and less, ha ha

also apple sauce mixed in with the oatmeal is the bomb, and add a cup of egg whites to your oatmeal when you boil it and bam, instant protein blast

I have some of that too. Honey would probably be good too. I'll try it with just pb first (dont have almond at the moment)... I can always open it up and add something if he wants a bit.

Could you add whole egg to oatmeal? My kid needs the fat and iron... or would that mess with the flavour? I dont usually boil my oatmeal, we tend to do the easy instant packets lol.
  • B_Plus_Effort
    edited October 2020
    I have some of that too. Honey would probably be good too. I'll try it with just pb first (dont have almond at the moment)... I can always open it up and add something if he wants a bit.
    now you're getting it, skys the limit, though the wheat tortillas are key, the flour or corn ones don't work, and it may take you a couple tries to find the wheat ones you or the rug rats like
    Could you add whole egg to oatmeal? My kid needs the fat and iron... or would that mess with the flavour? I dont usually boil my oatmeal, we tend to do the easy instant packets lol.
    I tried whole egg before and although there's plenty of floor space I just can't dance to it, ha ha so no it doesn't really work, you can use whole milk instead of water, don't fall for that 2% crap their just selling you half the milk for the same price, it's the sugar that's the enemy not natural fat

you can also Rock a simple spinach, banana, peanut butter, almond milk shake for the iron and protein (made one for my 16 year old daughter today and delivered it up the stairs for her, use Adams natural peanut butter if you can find it)

sydkt2ae81lg.jpg

• VeryKatie
    muszyngr wrote: »
    now you're getting it, skys the limit, though the wheat tortillas are key, the flour or corn ones don't work, and it may take you a couple tries to find the wheat ones you or the rug rats like
    I tried whole egg before and although there's plenty of floor space I just can't dance to it, ha ha so no it doesn't really work, you can use whole milk instead of water, don't fall for that 2% crap their just selling you half the milk for the same price, it's the sugar that's the enemy not natural fat

you can also Rock a simple spinach, banana, peanut butter, almond milk shake for the iron and protein (made one for my 16 year old daughter today and delivered it up the stairs for her, use Adams natural peanut butter if you can find it)

sydkt2ae81lg.jpg

I have whole wheat tortillas... we managed to get the kid switched.from white... is that what you mean? They're still technically flour.

And yeah they drink homo milk and thats what I put in the instant oatmeal too... we used to look for ways to fatten my youngest up lol. And we use the Kraft natural only peanuts.

My picky eater liked it. My less picky eater rejected it without trying it lol.
  • ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,819 Member
    I love crepes and once you get the hang of making them, they're super easy. They freeze really well too. We had family visiting this past week and I made a batch ahead of time and froze them. You can put anything you like in/on them: nutella, cream cheese, pb, bananas, berries, peaches, etc. Different texture to wraps so nice for a change :)
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 694 Member
    Baked oats might be worth a try, you can flavour them with whatever you want.

Or try making up overnight oats with larger, traditional oats - it makes a difference to the texture and is much better in my opinion. You can always add a dollop of full fat yoghurt or cream if the little ones need extra.
  • ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,819 Member
    Would they eat "egg bites"? 8 eggs, 1/2 cup plain yoghurt, and 1 cup shredded cheese. You can add sausage meat, ground turkey, onions, broccoli, mushrooms, tomato, etc. Or add nothing at all. Grease a muffin pan (though I prefer to use parchment cup cake papers instead) and bake at 400. Makes 12. They freeze really well so you can just pop them in the microwave for a minute beforehand.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,588 Member
    Spanish tortila is typically served room temperature. You can make one on the weekend for grab and go breakfasts. You can get away with less oil than this recipe calls for if you use a good non stick pan.

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/real-spanish-omelette

This is what I make whenever we have house guests so they can help themselves to breakfast if they are awake earlier than me.
  • VeryKatie
    edited October 2020
    Would they eat "egg bites"? 8 eggs, 1/2 cup plain yoghurt, and 1 cup shredded cheese. You can add sausage meat, ground turkey, onions, broccoli, mushrooms, tomato, etc. Or add nothing at all. Grease a muffin pan (though I prefer to use parchment cup cake papers instead) and bake at 400. Makes 12. They freeze really well so you can just pop them in the microwave for a minute beforehand.

So they definitely would, but we have quiche at least every 3 days for lunch or dinner lol. Which is the only way my one kid eats eggs. I dont want to overdo it and end up with him rejecting the one food I'm happy he likes haha.
  • AshHeartsJesus
    AshHeartsJesus Posts: 460 Member
    Mama of 5 here who homeschools sooo breakfast really needs to be prepped or easy. The kiddos always have an apple with breakfast except the 1 year old he has banana or something easier to eat. We do homemade pancakes, muffins, eggbake, yogurt, egg cups, baked oatmeal, stovetop quick oats sweetened with honey, french toast. We meao prep for the week so it is grab and go,. If we use sugar we usually cut by at least 1/2 we use honey a lot maple syrup would be healthier. Kids will surprise you with what they will eat if you get in a routine and they are expecting it. Even with the sugar/ swertener they get it is WAY less processed then store bought.