Cardio vs Weights/Lifting

There is a lot of mix reviews on cardio vs lifting. I want to lose 45 pounds. Which is more sufficient?

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    You need to do both, for different reasons. But the most important thing is to set up your profile in MFP, set your loss to 1 lb per week, learn to accurately track your food, and stay in a basic calorie deficit. The exercise will help burn a few more calories and help you look and feel better when you get to your weight goal.
  • B_Plus_Effort
    B_Plus_Effort Posts: 311 Member
    neither, it's all about diet, LOL

I went through life thinking weight loss and fitness is about 90% cardio and 10% diet, then I thought it was 50/50 now that I am older and sooooo much wiser, ha ha I realize it is 90% what you shove in your mouth and only 10% exercise, that is if you don't text on your phone for 30 minutes while at the gym (I'm looking at you arms day guy every day sitting on the bench press still texting)

point is if you exercise then exercise, you don't need to do it for a long period of time, maximize your time, try full body workouts instead of upper body today lower body tomorrow, also compound exercises, where you get the most bang for your buck, and when you walk, walk fast, when you swim swim hard

you can do it
  • ladyzherra
    ladyzherra Posts: 438 Member
    I really like the response from @TeaBea. Fitness is great for heart health, raising your fitness level, gaining muscle mass, gaining flexibility, managing stress, reducing the symptoms of some ailments, and generating better self image...and much, much more. However, losing weight is always firstly a function of nutrition, and more precisely of calorie deficit.

I advocate using strength-building as part of movement because there are just so many benefits. Yet, cardio, too, is wonderful for the body. A strength versus cardio mindset seems misguided -- do what feels great and benefits you.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    You can do one, both, or neither, and still lose, maintain, or gain weight based on how many calories you consume. You need to be in a calorie deficit to lose weight. Cardio usually burns more calories, but strength training helps you maintain more muscle mass as you lose weight. I would suggest doing both types of exercise.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Both.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,974 Member
    Depends on your goals
  • sarahstewart558
    sarahstewart558 Posts: 9 Member
    Great Question and awesome feedback. Found this really interesting and learnt a lot. Thanks.
  • Frank19556
    Frank19556 Posts: 28 Member
    edited October 2020
    I focus on cardio because it lets me burn the calories to be able to eat around 2,000 calories. I feel deprived at 1200 a day. I try to burn 800 a day by doing an hour of cardio. I also put in some weights 2-3 times a week and reduce my cardio a bit. I plan on adding more more weights as I get closer to goal weight, and certainly after reaching it.

My cardio is some running, but mostly elliptical and rowing. I get some strength out of that too.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Frank19556 wrote: »
    I focus on cardio because it lets me burn the calories to be able to eat around 2,000 calories. I feel deprived at 1200 a day. I try to burn 800 a day by doing an hour of cardio. I also put in some weights 2-3 times a week and reduce my cardio a bit. I plan on adding more more weights as I get closer to goal weight, and certainly after reaching it.

My cardio is some running, but mostly elliptical and rowing. I get some strength out of that too.

1200 calories is the default minimum for women, not men. You shouldn't be looking to net 1200 calories, this is for short, sedentary women at that.

If you are short & sedentary male, your net calories should be at least 1,500.
  • Frank19556
    edited October 2020
    Even if I were to start at the 1,500 instead of the 12, the cardio allows me to eat more than I would normally be able to eat, so my point on this topic is still valid - for me.

I did wonder about MFP setting me up for 12, as I told it I was male. I decided to see how it goes, and it is going fine. I do not feel any hunger with the exercise, and sometimes even need to look for calories to add.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Check your settings again......1,500 NET (1,500 + exercise) is the default minimum for men.

Not feeling hunger is not really a reliable indicator. https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10569458/why-eating-too-little-calories-is-a-bad-idea
  • Frank19556
    edited October 2020
    TeaBea wrote: »
    Check your settings again......1,500 NET (1,500 + exercise) is the default minimum for men.

Not feeling hunger is not really a reliable indicator. https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10569458/why-eating-too-little-calories-is-a-bad-idea

I am eating 2,000 a day and losing 2 pounds a week. This is working for me now, and I can feel my fitness level increase. It could be my estimates of calories or exercise is off. I do try to be accurate, I weigh everything and even discounted my calorie burn by 20% from the machines. I now have a Garmin watch and take my calorie burn from that, which is pretty close to my discounted machine calories.

• ChristopherLimoges
    ChristopherLimoges Posts: 298 Member
    Cardio. If you're looking to gain healthier weight primarily, start using weight s.
  • It isn't about one vs the other. So many things come into play.

I did my 1 Rep Max on the deadlift yesterday and the way my heart was going would definitely have a positive effect on my 'endurance or cardio'.

My advise would be to start with your diet. If you are calorie counting then start there (please for God sake eat more than 1200 calories. That sucks. Nobody should do that) and then throw in some activity. Walking is so underrated. I can strip a lot of fat off by adding a few more miles each day to my walking. The activity depends on what you have available, what you like to do, what you know how to do etc etc. Mixture of both would be a good thing to aim for.
  • NASAwife13
    NASAwife13 Posts: 130 Member
    Abs are made in the kitchen!

I personally do 30 minutes of cardio and 30 minutes of weight/strength training. I have about 60-70lbs to lose. I have lost 35lbs so far by eating better and exercising, but I hate cardio. I'd rather lift weights, but I know to lose weight it's a combo of things. I want to be healthy and that's my long term goal.

Diet is very important in weight loss. 300 calories of a veggie will have a different affect than 300 calories of a snickers bar.
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Weight loss happens in the kitchen for sure. When I consistently do cardio and strength training, I feel better and tend to watch my calories more. For me, it's the whole package.

Of course everyone is different. But that's what works for me.

• Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    NASAwife13 wrote: »
    Abs are made in the kitchen!

I personally do 30 minutes of cardio and 30 minutes of weight/strength training. I have about 60-70lbs to lose. I have lost 35lbs so far by eating better and exercising, but I hate cardio. I'd rather lift weights, but I know to lose weight it's a combo of things. I want to be healthy and that's my long term goal.

Diet is very important in weight loss. 300 calories of a veggie will have a different affect than 300 calories of a snickers bar.

300 calories is 300 calories regardless of what food you get it from. 300 calories of veggies will keep you feeling fuller longer than 300 calories of a snickers, but I like my desserts and I simply work them into my calories.

CICO is all that matters, so eat what you want but eat in a deficit and you will lose weight. You don’t HAVE to deprive yourself of the foods you enjoy to lose weight.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    They're two completely different things that do different things for you. Neither one is going to create weight loss unless you're also in a calorie deficit. Both of them can improve your body and life in real ways.

So if you want to lose weight, focus on ensuring you're consistently in a calorie deficit (cardio, in that it increases the number of calories you need each day, can be a part of that, but many people struggle to create a calorie deficit JUST with cardio). Resistance training (which can include lifting weights) and cardio are both important parts of fitness and most people find they enjoy both the way it makes them feel and the way it helps their bodies look.