Demi glacé

Was wondering can you make a coffee cup size broth or even mason jar size broth with Demi glacé, was wondering if that might be a money saving option? I don’t know if it would work I just saw that in the store and thought since it’s super concentrated it might work.

Replies

• HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    I buy the More-Than-Gourmet demi-glace pastes in one-pound containers and keep them in the fridge for just this purpose. They'll keep in the fridge for a year or more. I just put a bit in a cup of water and microwave it. It takes a bit of stirring to dissolve it but it's delicious and relatively low calorie and certainly lower sodium than bouillon cubes. It's also a great way to add depth of flavor to anything you are cooking where you want a gravy-like sauce.

As to cost, a one-pound container of More-Than Gourmet Demi-glace paste is about $20 on Amazon. Store-brand bouillon cubes are a couple bucks for 25. The demi-glace paste makes delicious, rich broth. The store-brand bouillon cubes make lightly-flavored salt water. The middle course of buying prepared broth in cans or cartons is probably more expensive than either. Making your own stock out of leftover chicken and vegetable scraps is probably cheaper. You pay your money and you take your choice.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    I buy the More-Than-Gourmet demi-glace pastes in one-pound containers and keep them in the fridge for just this purpose. They'll keep in the fridge for a year or more. I just put a bit in a cup of water and microwave it. It takes a bit of stirring to dissolve it but it's delicious and relatively low calorie and certainly lower sodium than bouillon cubes. It's also a great way to add depth of flavor to anything you are cooking where you want a gravy-like sauce.

As to cost, a one-pound container of More-Than Gourmet Demi-glace paste is about $20 on Amazon. Store-brand bouillon cubes are a couple bucks for 25. The demi-glace paste makes delicious, rich broth. The store-brand bouillon cubes make lightly-flavored salt water. The middle course of buying prepared broth in cans or cartons is probably more expensive than either. Making your own stock out of leftover chicken and vegetable scraps is probably cheaper. You pay your money and you take your choice.

Just responding to the stock part of this - I save chicken and beef bones in the frig until I need stock. The result is so much better than any carton stock I've ever bought. I've also bought beef marrow bones to make stock - this was delicious, but not particularly economical. A step back from the supermarket, if available, would surely be cheaper.

I once belonged to a food coop where we went in on part of a whole cow. The farmer threw in bones for free.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,594 Member
    I will look into the mail order demi glace. That's new to me.

I save all bones in the freezer in what I call bone bags. I have separate ziplocks for poultry bones, red meat, and vegetable scraps and peels. I might start a separate bag for shellfish peels soon. On a day I will be pottering around at home I simmer bones with a halved onion, skin and all. and veggie scraps. If you save chicken bones for stock making, don't forget to save carcasses from ready made store bought rotisserie chicken and KFC.

Currently I am simmering beef broth for pho. Bones saved from bone on rib eye Txuleton steaks in the freezer were roasted for an hour with a halved onion and boiled with star anise, cinamon sticks, fresh ginger, coriander seeds, cloves. I left out the vegetable trimmings for this particular application.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    acpgee wrote: »
    I will look into the mail order demi glace. That's new to me.

I save all bones in the freezer in what I call bone bags. I have separate ziplocks for poultry bones, red meat, and vegetable scraps and peels. I might start a separate bag for shellfish peels soon. On a day I will be pottering around at home I simmer bones with a halved onion, skin and all. and veggie scraps. If you save chicken bones for stock making, don't forget to save carcasses from ready made store bought rotisserie chicken and KFC.

Currently I am simmering beef broth for pho. Bones saved from bone on rib eye Txuleton steaks in the freezer were roasted for an hour with a halved onion and boiled with star anise, cinamon sticks, fresh ginger, coriander seeds, cloves. I left out the vegetable trimmings for this particular application.

Oh I love pho so good I want to attempt making with miracle noodles! I saw the marrow bones at market today and I’ve never made my own broth but I might try bc I need some electrolytes from broth. The Demi glacé look in your store in the meat dept where they sell duck and lamb stuff or ask your meat dept if they carry it. It looks very yummy.