Weight suddenly gone crazy

sofrances
sofrances Posts: 156 Member
edited October 2020 in Goal: Maintaining Weight
A week ago I put my calories up by 50 calories. I have been putting my calories up by 50 or 100 every week or two for a while, to try and stop my weight from trending downward, as I hit my target weight a while ago.

Suddenly, after the last 50 calorie increase, my weight has gone crazy.

xzba1sow6sg2.jpg

I tried not to panic the first day when it went up almost 1kg (more than 2lb). It was down the next day so I thought, ok, just a blip. But now its up even higher. I'm up 1.5kg (3.3lb) since a week ago.

I don't want to "over-steer" so I'm going to leave calories as they are until the end of this week. At the same time, I'm really struggling not to see doom on the horizon. Last time I lost serious weight (not through food logging) I put it all back on again and more, so this feels like history repeating.

I'm still really near the beginning of maintenance. And if maintenance means actually stopping the downward weight trend, then I'm only a week in. I don't know what to expect, or if this is normal.

Nothing has changed about my diet apart from the increase in calories as far as I can see. No wild increase in carbs or salt. I haven't been weighing or logging any less diligently.

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Our weight fluctuates a lot anyway, I can be up/down 3lbs in any one week (for a host of reasons from high sodium or high carb days which means I hold on to extra water) I'm petite and have been in maintenance for several years.
    Keep on doing what you have been and give it another few weeks yet before you adjust your intake again - it takes a few months to really see what your maintenance calories looks like, and even then a bit longer if your daily activity varies a lot.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    All I can think about is Paul Davis.
    Don't panic, Frances. You're beautiful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvf3rBgw1LU
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    Going up one or two pounds in a day is not really something to worry about if you've been tracking. Sometimes it's water weight due to salt or carbs or a hard workout, sometimes it's simply a bulky meal that hasn't been digested yet (i.e. chili). Give it a week or two and see what is happening.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    @sofrances Excellent.
  • sofrances
    Trend appears to be steepening rather than evening out. I understand now why people quite weighing themselves. This is super-stressful. But if I quit that's definitely the beginning of the end. I'm not going to quit. But I think if something doesn't change by the end of the week I am going to cut calories. I need to see that trend line flattening out.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,974 Member
    If nothing dramatic happened to activity level or calorie intake, fast gain is water weight, period. Stress can make it worse.

Don't do anything dramatic: Not necessary.

Maybe take a nice walk in a pretty place outdoors. Listen to good music. Do some yoga or stretching, deep breathing exercises. Relax, be patient - more than a few days.

It'll be OK. Bodies are weird. 😉
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,780 Member
    sofrances wrote: »
    Trend appears to be steepening rather than evening out. I understand now why people quite weighing themselves. This is super-stressful. But if I quit that's definitely the beginning of the end. I'm not going to quit. But I think if something doesn't change by the end of the week I am going to cut calories. I need to see that trend line flattening out.

Well logically you know that 50 cal increase is not going to cause you to trend up and up and up and keep going so it's been less than a week right? Hang in there. Worst case next week you just stay at the same level. How close is it to what your TDEE or MFP or whatever calculations you use is to your maintenance input?

Here's hoping that things at least level out in the next few days as stress is not good. And you already know overcorrecting is not going to help.

You will figure it out. Let us know.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,937 Member
    sofrances, your whole journey has been fraught with over-thinking and anxiety.

Stay the course. You know your own calorie needs. Trust the process.

Maybe talk to someone who is a professional counselor?
  • sofrances
    Orphia wrote: »

Dear sofrances, please read this post again:

A wild swing in one day like that is never going to be fat gain, since you would need to eat more than 7000 calories over maintainence to gain one kilo. You are gaining water weight for some reason. Did you start eating different kinds of foods, such as higher sodium or carb? New exercise? Period coming? Weighing at a different time of day? Feel sick or out of sorts? Stress?

Also, not to freak you out, but a jump of more than a kilo in one day can be a sign of kidney issues. Just pay extra attention to things like ankles swelling, etc.

Now, are your ankles and legs swelling, or kidneys hurting? Or are any of these other questions the answer?

Please don't panic and jump to the worst conclusion and cause yourself even more stress.

No kidney symptoms. No increase in carbs or salt. Just body weirdness I guess. Thanks for you reassurances.
  • sofrances
    sofrances, your whole journey has been fraught with over-thinking and anxiety.

Stay the course. You know your own calorie needs. Trust the process.

Maybe talk to someone who is a professional counselor?

Not a bad idea. I'll give it some thought.
  • 1pandabear
    1pandabear Posts: 336 Member
    Diatonic12 wrote: »
    All I can think about is Paul Davis.
    Don't panic, Frances. You're beautiful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvf3rBgw1LU

Hahaha "Don't Panic, Frances" sounds like the name of a song. I love this post, Paul Davis tune and all.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,974 Member
    edited November 2020
    By way of thanks, and for the benefit of any other anxious types who find themselves in a similar situation, I thought I would post an update.

After a few weeks, it looks like things have more or less stabilized.

5jv27y81a20r.jpg

Thanks again for all of your reassurances, and apologies for my previous hysterics.

The fluctuations are normal. Alarmed reactions to them are also normal, as part of the process of getting used to them. 😉

Wishing you continuing success, psychological as well as physical!

ETA: Thanks for coming back to let us know how it worked out!
  • charmmeth
    charmmeth Posts: 936 Member
    By way of thanks, and for the benefit of any other anxious types who find themselves in a similar situation, I thought I would post an update.

After a few weeks, it looks like things have more or less stabilized.

Thanks again for all of your reassurances, and apologies for my previous hysterics.

I am glad to have this reassurance, as my graph is currently behaving rather like yours was. Good luck!