The dangers of PROCESSED meats.

Options

Replies

• Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    Genetics are only a partial factor to cancer, not the biggest factor. Read up on studies done on various areas of the world, their environment, their diets, the number of mutated cells that grow when they're eating this or that. It will show trends. Also, read up on some history. Cancer has been bad for a long time now, but this hasn't always been the case. Genetics give you a predisposition, but nothing close to a death sentence. I'm not going to get into numbers and specific studies because it would take me forev to get all the references and I doubt anyone would care enough for it to be worth it to me since I'm at work, but its out there if you look for it.

I've stopped using antiperspirant, flouride, and microwaves so it seems we have much in common live2dream. ;)
    Since you brought it up, burden of proof is on you to prove the numbers. Genetics aren't just a "partial" factor. It's a direct contributor. I suggest you learn more about endocrinology and oncology before making blanket statements.

and @ you, ninerbuff, genetics is FAR from the biggest contributing factor to disease. I recommend to you the book 'The China Study' and the film 'Forks Over Knives'. Are you open minded enough to entertain another train of thought other than the one you've grown accustomed to?

Thank you for providing these great sources. . I will have to go and take a look at them. . I always love learning new information. . .:smile::heart:
  • 8rules
    8rules Posts: 169
    Options
    Excellent article. I'm so glad I don't eat meat anymore. :)

Because we do not grow vegetables in our society with anything that causes cancer like pesticides, GMO, etc...

Sorry, lets not blame the meat.

Lets blame the chemicals MAN put in the meat.

Nothing wrong with eating cow. We actually evolved to do it.
  • KarenLipana
    Options
    good thing i dont eat meat.:smile:
  • mirandamatte
    mirandamatte Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    If true than why isn't it being yanked off the shelves?
  • DestinyDarbi
    DestinyDarbi Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Whether I agree with this or not, I'm not going to criticize and be hateful... *ahem*. Thanks for posting, regardless. I like reading anything that keeps me from doing work :laugh:
  • 8rules
    Options
    If true than why isn't it being yanked off the shelves?

Hey, we still sell cigarettes LOL
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Options
    :grumble: Everything causes cancer.

Best to live by the 'Everything in moderation--including moderation" quote!

Not everything causes cancer. In fact, many foods prevent cancer. And those are the foods I choose to eat.

*whooooosh!*

That's the sound of sarcasm going right over your head.

Some things just should not be food. And that's not sensationalism.

No, it's your opinion. I think they should be. That's my opinion.
    The only reason people think it's food is because they see the advertisements and media daily of cheeseburgers and bacon, etc, etc... and/or grow up eating it and think it's ok to eat. (like I used to until I started thinking for myself)

Wow, way to insult thousands of people! So we are all mindless zombies who believe everything we are told? Surely its people like the rest of us who are smart enough to see through the scaremongering, weigh up the options and odds, and decide for ourselves, rather than people like you who believe anything bad that has a report attached to it? How many people have eaten, continue to eat, the MSG etc stuff, and have no ill effects, compared to those that can PROVE the MSG etc is causing them issues? Its like saying that planes aren't safe, as you always hear about plane crashes. What you don't hear about is the millions of flights every single day that don't crash!

Live2dream, do you drive a car? The most dangerous form of transport? You should stop you know, its very dangerous, studies have proven that.

Well how about we all be kind when we are speaking to others. . . we are all mature adults having an informative discussion. . we are all going to have different views and ideas on things that do or don't work. . .in the end we all choose what we want to take away from this. . but if we all stay open minded we may gain some information. . and new friends. . . All things should be expresses with loving and gentle words. .. getting upset just closes us down to new things. . .SMILE and the world smiles with you!:heart:
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Options

Because we do not grow vegetables in our society with anything that causes cancer like pesticides, GMO, etc...

My advice if you choose to be a carnivore would be to make sure that you are buying organic meat. . grass fed beef. . etc. .

We each get to make our own choices in life. . . I choose to be a pescatarian. . but my daughter eats meat. .. so. . my point lets all be open-minded to different ways that people choose to live. . Thanks for your contribution to tis discussion.

As for "EVOLUTION" that is a whole other discussion which per MFP rules and regulations can't take place here. . I will simply say. . . I don't believe in it.. . . I believe in the wonderful messiah. I'll leave it at that.
  • 8rules
    Options

My advice if you choose to be a carnivore would be to make sure that you are buying organic meat. . grass fed beef. . etc. .

We each get to make our own choices in life. . . I choose to be a pescatarian. . but my daughter eats meat. .. so. . my point lets all be open-minded to different ways that people choose to live. . Thanks for your contribution to tis discussion.

As for "EVOLUTION" that is a whole other discussion which per MFP rules and regulations can't take place here. . I will simply say. . . I don't believe in it.. . . I believe in the wonderful messiah. I'll leave it at that.

Fair enough, we do not have to go into religion.

I do buy organic, grass fed hamburger, organic pork, etc... from a farmer I knew personally. I cannot afford their steaks so I get off the shelf. Fortunately, Canada does not allow BGO meat grown in Canada. So while the meat is corn fed and gets antibiotics, so are people... I figure its OK.

I see my comment got your attention, and that is GOOD. I do not want meat blamed, man has always eaten meat. Pretty much every holy scripture refers to it as well, as well as historical documents, glyphs, etc... from all over the world. I guess its perspective, but I see eating meat as the standard, and abstaining from it is actually making a choice to deviate.

To be clear, I got no problem with people eating vegetarian.

I got a problem with vegetarians slamming meat, when its not the meat that is the problem.

Its the processing, its the additives, its the chemicals. Its the taking something nature or God created and turning into something unnatural.

The same problems that effect processed vegan products like bread, doughnuts, vegan cookies, and lets not even look at commercial soy.
  • live2dream
    live2dream Posts: 614 Member
    Options

I do buy organic, grass fed hamburger, organic pork, etc... from a farmer I knew personally. I cannot afford their steaks so I get off the shelf. Fortunately, Canada does not allow BGO meat grown in Canada. So while the meat is corn fed and gets antibiotics, so are people... I figure its OK.

I see my comment got your attention, and that is GOOD. I do not want meat blamed, man has always eaten meat. Pretty much every holy scripture refers to it as well, as well as historical documents, glyphs, etc... from all over the world. I guess its perspective, but I see eating meat as the standard, and abstaining from it is actually making a choice to deviate.

I got a problem with vegetarians slamming meat, when its not the meat that is the problem.

Its the processing, its the additives, its the chemicals. Its the taking something nature or God created and turning into something unnatural.

The same problems that effect processed vegan products like bread, doughnuts, vegan cookies, and lets not even look at commercial soy.

I think you got the point of the article then. :) It wasn't slamming meat, just PROCESSED meat (meat with additives, etc).
  • 8rules
    Options
    I did get it, yep.

Still waiting to hear how vegetables and vegan TV dinners with the same additives are not being painted with the same brush.

These things always turn into carnivore vs herbivore when it should be mankind vs chemicals
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    and @ you, ninerbuff, genetics is FAR from the biggest contributing factor to disease. I recommend to you the book 'The China Study' and the film 'Forks Over Knives'. Are you open minded enough to entertain another train of thought other than the one you've grown accustomed to?
    Some diseases, such as most (but not all) forms of cancer, heart disease and mental disorders, are non-infectious diseases. Many non-infectious diseases have a partly or completely genetic basis (see genetic disorder) and may thus be transmitted from one generation to another.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disease

Science changes. Opinions can too if there is enough evidence to provide a change. I'm open minded enough to look at statistics and clinical trials and actual refuting evidence to see where the truth may lie.

I discount the "China Study" because it's not done by a scientist, but a nutrition researcher. When one of the first sentences is "Heart disease can be prevented and even reversed by a healthy diet", it screams "buy my book". You also don't happen to believe in Kevin Trudeau's book "Natural Cures"?
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Options

That is a nice way to put things. .. Thank you for being kind. . . Yes. . I definitely am aware of the scripture. . and yes. . . the main thing is to be eating all foods in as natural of a state as possible. . This is where your health lies. . . as well as taking everything in moderation. .

A lot of the problem is that things are not moderated. . I am studying nutrition right now an am always fascinated by new information. . I think the more everyone understands nutrition as far as what we consume and how much is healthy and how to make the body function more effeciently the better off we all will be. .

Every day they are changing things that they either thought were bad for you. . and now they say they arent' ie. . healthy fats. . .

When you see commercials that are promoting a certain item. . my advice find out who is underwriting the commercials. . .is it truly healthy for you, or are they just out for a profit. . Do your own research is my advice.
  • Kristhin
    Kristhin Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    8 rules, this article is not posted for the reasons of "vegetarians slamming meat" which is exactly why I put PROCESSED meat in ALL CAPITALS in the headline. To specify that this is about PROCESSED meats which are very harmful to your body due to the things that are done to the meat vs. meat in its natural form.
  • vaderandbill
    vaderandbill Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    I'd rather die than stop eating bacon anyway. Dr. Ron Swanson agrees.

Bacon is the candy of the meat group!!! and I shall not be without it!
  • Kristhin
    Kristhin Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    If you're that concerned about what chemicals are in vegetables (which I definitely am), you can grow your own vegetables like I do. And the vegetables I don't have growing in my backyard I make sure to buy organic so that they are chemical free and non gmo. This article isn't about GMO's, though.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Tavistock it refers to an increase in mutated cells. The more you eat things which are poisonous to your body the more mutated cells occur in the body. These cells are cancerous and everyone has them. Normally, the body fights these toxic cells and destroys them in order to remain healthy and prevent cancer. When these mutations happen rapidly and consistently though, the chances increase that your body will not be able to fight them all off, therefore resulting in cancer at some point in your life. An increase in production of cancerous cells in the body does not guarantee that you will GET cancer--as I said, the body fights them off and destroys them. But when your body continuously goes through this process, the chances of it turning into full blown cancer are increased.

Yes, this ^^ This is another reason you should keep your body healthy through diet and exercise. A healthy body is better equipped to fight off the carcinogens we all encounter on a regular basis.
  • live2dream
    live2dream Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I did get it, yep.

Still waiting to hear how vegetables and vegan TV dinners with the same additives are not being painted with the same brush.

These things always turn into carnivore vs herbivore when it should be mankind vs chemicals

I agree that chemicals can be just as bad in things that aren't meat. And I definitely watch out for that and eat mostly whole, organic foods. I get fruits and vegetables from a local, organic farm (CSA) that doesn't use any chemicals or additives to be sure. Otherwise I buy from a natural food co-op, and still read the labels. ANYTHING processed is questionable.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I did get it, yep.

I'm sure they are if you looked at a study of them. But the OP clearly stated that recommendations were based on clinical studies, so naturally the recommendations would only be for the target of the studies, which in this case seems to be processed meat.
  • Dkenny74
    Dkenny74 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    quote]
    Wow, so he has to read junk science like "The China Study" to be open minded?

...and your credientials for calling it "junk science" would be...??
    [/quote]

I have a brain.
    If a wolf wrote a book about sheep, IM sure said wolf would use loaded studies as proof sheep are nutritious.
    So when a vegan writes a book about nutrition... Well