Health checkup

Options
I'm wondering if and especially on the nhs docs. Is it possible to get a good health check up with a few different tests and scans? I'd like to see how my health is going forward. For example simple blood tests for cholesterol levels should be fairly easy enough as well as blood sugar and such . But what about body fat percentages and stuff. Would they be willing to do a dexa scan? Do they use callipers? Check for diabetes? (pretty sure im good on that one but you never know) I'm not trying to be a hypochondriac but would like a few things checked

Any ideas?

Replies

• BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    Probably best to just ask your GP Practice if they offer these sort of routine preventative check-ups. Since you mention the NHS I’m assuming you’re in the UK, I know my GP Practice offers a M.O.T. style check-up - but it may only be to people over 50.

I’d be very surprised if they were able or willing to do a DEXA scan though! But, certainly, blood tests, blood pressure etc are all routinely done. Whether or not the specific doctor is sufficiently trained in the use of callipers to accurately assess body fat percentage is another matter! 😉

Just pick up the phone and ask your GP - even the receptionists will be able to tell you more about your specific GPs than anyone here can.
  • mariomicro
    mariomicro Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I get an invitation for a health check every 5 years from the NHS and then my GP will do the tests and send them to the nearest hospital. It's worth checking with your GP. To be honest, I don't pay much importance to those tests.
  • Deviette
    Deviette Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/nhs-health-check/

Basically if you're under 40: not unless you're willing to go private.

If you have something specific that you're worried about go an speak to your GP.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    My GP's clinic doesn't offer anything like you are looking for.
    Blood tests etc. are done to diagnose a reported illness/problem and not as a screening tool.

There is some universal screening done centrally, expect a bowel cancer screening kit to plop through your letterbox to "celebrate" your 60th birthday. Possibly the most crap birthday present ever! :wink: :smiley:

DEXA in the UK is predominately for investigating bone density by the NHS and only used for body fat scans by the private sector - would rate that as no chance.
    Skin fold calipers - more typically done by personal trainers not medics, can be reasonably accurate in the hands of someone trained in their use.

I used a private company for blood testing earlier this year as a bench marking exercise - done via post and you get to pick what tests you want.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options
    I'm in the US with the VA and while my doctor wouldn't order a DEXA, despite me framing it in terms of a family history of osteoporosis, other people might have success with this angle.
  • gdfrew
    gdfrew Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I have crohn's disease which might affect me later in life with osteoporosis. So I might use this as a work around to getting a dexa scan at some point.
  • RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    Type 2 diabetes runs rampant in my family so it’s something I do worry about. Even though I lost my excess lbs and have maintained a healthy weight for many years I still have my fasting blood glucose tested once a year at my regular physical and this year my doctor ordered to test my A1C which reflects average blood sugar levels for the past few months. You could request these tests from your doctor, I think they are fairly basic tests and they can give you very valuable health information.