Low cal vs low carb ??

Options
So I know you need a calorie deficit to lose weight regardless of how/what you are eating. In the past I’ve lost weight eating whatever I want just less of it.. I get that.
This time around it’s not the case. I’m 43 now and things are not as easy as they used to be. Have any of you found that adjusting your diet to low carb has helped you get over the hump even when consuming the same amount of calories?
I’m not a fan of keto or anything that is not sustainable long term for me but wondering if some adjustments to my macros might help.
I’ve also started using the food scale hoping that will help tighten my numbers down.

Replies

• errollmaclean
    errollmaclean Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    The food scale will definitely help. Accurate logging is the most important thing.
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Age is largely just a number. You may be moving less and have a slightly slower metabolism than when you were younger.

If you weren’t using a food scale before though, you didn’t actually know if you were eating in a deficit. Use the food scale, weigh and track everything, make sure the database entries are correct. Find foods that fill you up (like high fiber).
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different, but the common denominator for all is, eat less calories than your body burns for weight loss. Finding what works for each of us, long term, is key for successful weight loss, and maintaining a healthy weight. You know yourself best. Take advice that you think may work for you, and try it. For myself, it was as simple as all foods that I like in moderation, staying in a calorie deficit, and moving more. I know that for myself, denying any food, wouldn’t work for me. I successfully lost over 1/2 my body weight @ age 60.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I don't exactly do low carb when I'm trying to lose weight, but cutting back on carbs is typically the easiest way for me to also cut back on calories when I'm trying to cut some weight. I don't log, so typically when I want to cut some weight I just skip the grain or starch with my dinner and have extra veggies along with my protein and cut out a couple of snacks and alcohol.

There might also be an issue with activity dip...my general activity dipped quite a bit with COVID and working from home...when I'm at the office I typically get in around 8K steps by the end of the workday and usually around 10-12K by the time I go to bed...at home I'm often around 3K by the end of the workday and maybe 5-6K by the time I go to bed. I'm off IR now, so I've had to up my cycling and workout game to compensate for the decrease in general activity.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    For me, it isn't necessarily carbs, but I just started learning what keeps me full longer, and try to focus on those foods. For instance, I've found that if I eat scrambled eggs and potatoes at breakfast time, most days I can stay full until dinner. If I eat something sweet though, like cereal, I might be more inclined to get hungry by early lunchtime. Fiber and fat seems to help my cause, too...this week I made three bean chili, and if I put a little greek yogurt amd/or some cheese, and some fritos with it..that's enough for dinner and for the rest of the evening. That has really helped keep my calories in check. Each individual has different needs for what works..I think it's all about paying attention to what works for you.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I generally just eat less of things like rice, bread, pasta, potatoes, etc and eat more veg. Because of cutting some of those carbs, I'm also cutting some fat(like butter) that would be added to them, and creating a deficit.
  • leannehathaway1
    leannehathaway1 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Great suggestions guys. Thanks. My activity has been way down during Covid as well. I’ve started working out again daily but my over all walking and movement is def down as well as wine and snack intake has been up.
  • AshHeartsJesus
    AshHeartsJesus Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    QUIT alcohol/ drinking calories it will help a ton!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,227 Member
    Options
    Great suggestions guys. Thanks. My activity has been way down during Covid as well. I’ve started working out again daily but my over all walking and movement is def down as well as wine and snack intake has been up.

Reduced daily life movement can make a surprisingly large difference. I think people often don't realize how much.

Consider whether there may be ways you can include more movement in your day, beyond exercise. It isn't necessarily time-consuming.

Ideas in this thread (some of which don't work during stay-at-home orders, but many still do):

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10610953/neat-improvement-strategies-to-improve-weight-loss/p1