Buying a CrockPot?

Options
bstamps12
bstamps12 Posts: 1,184
I decided I want to buy a crockpot this fall....if you knew me, you would fall over becaues I am not a cook at all. I am trying so hard to learn to cook so I can get healthy and I know CrockPots are relatively simple ways to cook healthy foods...but I have no idea what to look for when buying one. What are some features I should look for? How big should I get (most meals would be cooked for 3-4 people)? Any brands to avoid?? Thanks for any help!:flowerforyou:

Replies

• jem728
    Options
    Bump. I'm in the exact same boat.
  • MadeToCraveHIM
    MadeToCraveHIM Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I have 3 crockpots! :laugh: I would stick to the Crockpot brand and definitely buy one with a removable crock for easy cleanup. I wouldn't get anything less than a 5 or 6 quart one and the programmable ones are nice to have too. Around the holidays there are usually some pretty good deals out there on them.
  • rhodenizer
    rhodenizer Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I have a very basic slow cooker. It is fantastic. It has a warm setting, and high and low, high for 4 to 5 hours of cooking and low for the 8 hour range. You really don't have to know how to cook, basically you throw in your meat or what ever and some seasonings, put the lid on and leave. I bought the Company is coming cookbook for slow cookers and there are some nice reciepes in it. Roast come out falling apart they are so tender. I will usually throw in potatoe and carrots with the roast and you have a meal in one. If you have a large family then you may need a larger one but the small one cooks everything I need.
  • rebsaganes
    rebsaganes Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Make sure it has a removable crock, has different setting options instead of just high or low. I have an oval one that is great for larger meals or for my favoriet crock pot dish: Turkey breast. It's amazing and so much juicier that oven roasted ones. yum!!
  • otr12
    otr12 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I am attracted to red appliances. If there is more than one red crock pot I get the cheapest one. This method has never failed me.
  • haloheidi
    haloheidi Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    All-Clad makes the best crockpot!
  • silverbullkitty
    Options
    Def get one with the removable crock!
  • slimdownspicey
    slimdownspicey Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    This is the exact one I have -
    http://www.crock-pot.com/Product.aspx?cid=113&pid=391
    I usually make a lot and freeze it (which is super easy for the crockpot). It's the right size for 4 people + leftovers but I'm actually considering getting a slightly bigger one (it does take up storage space though). The one thing I would say is pay the extra money and get a digital one, that way you can cook while you're at work then program it to automatically switch to warm so that your food stays hot and does not overcook.
    This is the site I use for most of my recipes - http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/ - but I tend to alter them (I cook a lot).

Message me separately if you want and I can find some of my bookmarked recipes!
  • kenlad64
    kenlad64 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Yup, it is "Crock pot season" again! :)
  • Nikkie_too
    Nikkie_too Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I've had 2 Rivals in 15 years. They've done well for me! Target used to have a cute little red one... yeah - here it is: http://www.target.com/p/Crock-Pot-174-Oval-4-Qt-Red/-/A-10025827

I looove my crock pots - I actually have 2 sizes - a bit 7-quart for huge pots of chili/soup/jambalaya, and a smaller one for smaller recipes.

Be sure to get a model with a removable crock (ceramic insert). Much easier to clean if the middle comes out.

There are lots of fancy models with temperature settings and timers and stuff. I've always bypassed them because they cost more and it's more that could go wrong. I use a simple lamp-timer (like for when you want lights to come on when you're away on vacation) if I'm going to be away all day and want the cooking to start after I leave or end before I get home.

Also, search the message boards - I've seen threads with all kinds of people posting crockpot recipes here. Yum!

Good luck!
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I have the Hamilton Beach 3-in-1 that comes with 3 sizes of crock, which can be really helpful. It works pretty well, but it doesn't have a timer and you can't use a lamp timer to turn it on because you have to press the crock size button.
    http://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Beach-Attractive-Versatile-Stoneware/dp/B005KYUGLE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1315505846&sr=8-3
  • Nikkie_too
    Nikkie_too Posts: 495 Member
    Options

LOL - that's the same one I posted here too! I love it partly because it's red and feisty! ha!
  • dfborders
    dfborders Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Love my crock pot - You will have to look at the sizes in the stores to decide what you would like to do. I have a 6 or 6.5 quart because I cook big pieces of meat (i.e. pork shoulder). Depending on what your home situation (i.e. whether someone is home all day or not) you should look at getting one that includes a timer - mine automatically shuts off after so many hours and goes to warm so if my husband isn't home from work yet it is not overcooking the meat. Also make sure you get one where the "pot" is removable - it will make for a lot easier cleaning.

Finally, be very careful with recipes. You need to read the crockpot instructions that come with whatever crockpot you buy. A lot of recipes out there don't have you add enough liquid and the food will come out dry. Remember you are cooking a piece of meat for a long period of time. I usually add a can of either chicken broth, beef broth or veggie broth to whatever recipe I am cooking (especially the first time) and after I make it I make a notation on the recipe whether I can add less next time or not (after all you would rather have too much gravy than a gross piece of dried out meat). Well I could probably talk about this for awhile - I love my crockpot. If you have more questions feel free to friend me. One last thing :bigsmile: I would buy a name brand here - not necessarily the most expensive but in this instance I do believe you get what you pay for. Also keep the receipt so that if you have a problem with it the first time you use it you can bring it back.
  • pixlamarque
    pixlamarque Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I have a Hamilton Beach 6 quart with a locking lid. I think I bought it at Target. The 6 quart is a good size for family meals. It might be a little bigger than you need, but better bigger than too small. You do not want one that has set times (4 hrs or 6 hrs) because what if you need to cook for 5 hrs? Mine just has high, low, and warm. There are programmable ones but I just wanted basic. If you get a programmable, just be sure you can put in whatever time amount that you want. You could also do a basic one like mine and then use the kind of timer that you plug the cord into (never used one myself). I set mine in the morning and just make sure I'm home in time to turn it off. It has never been a problem and in a slow cooker you don't have to be too exact with the times. An extra 30 minutes really doesn't matter. I also like the cookbook Not Your Mother's Crockpot Cookbook. What I have made from it has turned out good. Also at Target.
  • jeepwidow01
    Options
    I LOVE my Crockpot brand and the company stands behind their products. I bought a crock 3 years ago & the lid started falling apart. I called the company to just get replacement parts, which they didn't have. That lid was obsolete. They looked for a comprable lid and couldn't find one, so they actually sent me a brand new crockpot for FREE that was better than the one I originally had!! My original crockpot still works, .the handle just came off the lid. My husband can engineer up a new handle & I'll have two 5-6 qt. pots now :happy:
  • Prazzie
    Prazzie Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I just bought a slow cooker today! And I've even made French Onion Soup in it already (I saw the recipe in the manual and it seemed easy and would only take 3-4 hours, so I could test it out tonight). Here's what my research came down to. Price doesn't really matter. Don't go for the flashy high-end models with timers and whatnot. A cheap model with a low, high and auto setting will fulfill all your needs. I got one with a 6 liter (more or less 6 quart) capacity. It's much bigger than I thought it would be, but I think it would be perfect for 4 people. Most of the recipes in my manual will serve 6, but you can always put in less food if you think it's too much.

We don't have the Crock-Pot brand in South Africa, but that seems to be a good brand to go for if you're in the US. Post again once you've got one, by then I should have some cooking tips and recipes to share. I plan on working my way through the recipes in the manual, so I can get an idea of how different ingredients respond to the method, before converting regular recipes into crockpot recipes.
  • dragonladywendy
    Options
    I've just bought mine (three weeks ago) and am still 'experimenting' with meals as with only two of us at present, it's hard to judge when to cook on high or low (so going low from 8am -6pm for most meals) If you are in England, Morrisons have them on offer, £17 instead of £20. But with the two successes so far (boiled ham and sausage casserole) I now wouldn't be without it! Also bought an all in one, three pan steamer (again, Morrisons, £15), potatoes with water at the bottom, then one or two extra 'pans' to steam your veg. So much less washing up and great tasting food! Best buys EVER! As I'm a tad OCD, I've also bought a spiral bound notebook to write in my successes and create my own 'cookbook' - give yourself time to experiment and don't get disheartened if it does go wrong, just try again.
    Best advice I can give, only add root veg to the crock and put meat on top and add stock/soup. Other veg and pots cook seperately. Never put in broccoli or cauli as it ruins the taste of everything!
    Best of luck x
  • pfsojourner
    pfsojourner Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    If you purchase a Rival, Sunbeam, Hamilton Beach, West Bend or any other main brand you'll be okay - you can shop for the best deal. As far as size, I like the larger six-quart so even when I don't have company coming I can freeze my leftovers in meal-size containers. That way, when I'm hungry and contemplating going out to eat I can rescue myself by grabbing a meal that's almost ready (just needs to be thawed). :happy:
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    I don't know what brand I have, but I actually have two, one's about a 5quart and the other is smaller. I don't cook, but I can do quick, easy, yummy meals in this that are really healthy too! I work full time and the kids are ALWAYS hungry when I get home, like NOW, so if I have something in the crockpot, I can get the table set, finish up whatever (if I need to make rice or something), get a salad on the table and eat within a few minutes! The meat always turns out good and I'm starting to learn what I like and don't like and what my kids will eat. Made some yummy shredded pork the other day and some Santa Fe chicken as well! Both turned out good!!!!
  • BetteEdmonson
    Options
    I have a crock pot that I just love because the lid will clamp down and won't spill if you need to take it somewhere with you. It also has a serving spoon that fits on the lid. Very convenient! The brand is Hamilton Beach Stay or Go.

One of my favorite receipes came from Weight Watchers. Take 4 or more frozen chicken breasts and place in the bottom. Stir together 2 cups of fat free sour cream, 1 can mushroom soup, and 1 package of Lipton's dry onion soup mix and pour over. Cook all day and the chicken will just melt in your mouth. Nice to come home to the aroma in the air!

Bette (BetteEdmonson)