What’s your plan for the winter?

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    I found out about a way to turn a ski trail I love into a loop. Looking forward to getting out there and exploring these connector trails. 😁
  • Indialove901
    Indialove901 Posts: 71 Member
    ninpiggy wrote: »
    My plan for the winter is to run intervals on the treadmill and work on improving/increasing my speed. I live in a climate with harsh winters and I have a baby so it's better and safer for me to workout at home. My goal is to run a 5K in 30 minutes or less, comfortably by spring.

It’s great that you’re staying motivated with the baby! Good luck!
  • itsFNFY
    itsFNFY Posts: 4 Member
    I'm planning on continuing to work out outside. I am a big hiker, so I'm making sure I have some good winter gear and getting some new traction devices for my shoes. I've already started planning hikes that I know tend to be pretty okay during the winter, and I'll kind of see where that goes.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    My problem in the winter isn't the temperature, it's the shortened daylight hours. I leave for work before the sun is up and by the time i get home at the end of the day it will be already be dusk or very close to it. That leaves only weekends for outdoor workouts. How do other people exercise outdoors when it's dark?

I live in a safe neighbor, light vehicle traffic with sidewalks and streetlights. Just go out the door. I am a 6'2" 200 lb guy though.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,494 Member
    I like walking/jogging in the cold. Just bundle up a little more. The cold forces your body to expend more energy to keep it warm. And I still would prefer doing cardio outside regardless of weather versus on a treadmill.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Steelkid
    Steelkid Posts: 74 Member
    Gym, those months of quarantining didn't stop me and neither will the weather.
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Well I would normal curl in at least 2 or 3 leagues but with the restrictions I'm not sure what will be happening there and I'm not sure I want to be in an enclosed not well ventilated building with random people.

So I will wait for the outdoor skating rinks to open and maybe this will be the year I finally attempt to skate at as many in the area that I can
  • mrcoaster1
    mrcoaster1 Posts: 2 Member
    Keep walking as much as we can when it isn't too cold. Otherwise, we just bought a recumbent bike in the last month, and that has emerged as a great tool for exercising when the weather won't cooperate, or when you just feel like playing a game or watching tv, and exercising.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    My problem in the winter isn't the temperature, it's the shortened daylight hours. I leave for work before the sun is up and by the time i get home at the end of the day it will be already be dusk or very close to it. That leaves only weekends for outdoor workouts. How do other people exercise outdoors when it's dark?

As I often find myself sarcastically saying to my suburban roadie buddies come fall (when they whine that they'll soon be stuck on the trainer): "so they make these things now we call lights". but seriously.. there have been major improvements in headlamps (cycling and running/hiking/helmets) and tail lights, LED vests, spoke lights, etc. in the last bunch of years.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    ..and IMHO, it is so much safer when it is fully dark coming out of work versus having that hour of blinding sunset.
  • mwstewart207
    mwstewart207 Posts: 16 Member
    I live in Maine and run outdoors year round. Due to COVID-19 my narathons were deferred so I am training for two next year

I have all the proper gear to run to -10 F (if no wind) I do need to replace my gloves so I would be interested to hear what others are wearing in extreme cold.
  • evilokc
    evilokc Posts: 260 Member
    after the month off when my gym was closed i needed to get my shape back. i didn't really gain weight but i lost most of my definition. I went on a pretty good but for 3 weeks. at 3 weeks i made good progress and decided to keep going. i think im on week 7 now. ive decided that im going to just keep slow cutting over the winter and see how i come out the other side.
  • durhammfp
    durhammfp Posts: 493 Member
    Same as I did last winter...bundle up and keep running.
  • JGT001
    JGT001 Posts: 21 Member
    I'm in S. Louisiana, so winter isn't usually too cold. I have a gym membership already, so I'll continue that routine, but also still get outside to walk/jog/hike. I don't mind the colder temperatures, but the rain can suck, sometimes.
  • Lolinloggen
    Lolinloggen Posts: 463 Member
    I exercise outside year round and dress according to the weather (there is no bad weather just bad clatter a Swedish friend told me once) The only thing that will keep me inside is black ice! I walk, hike and run.
    I also have my own weights and exercise area in the house (rowing machine and bench)

Joined a gym twice for the weight equipment and twice ended up buying the stuff myself as don't like sharing the equipment, waiting in line, needing to comply to their opening times and the general vibe in a gym Just did not like going at all.
    So I did the calculations for the equipment i wanted and found that the Return on investment (ROI) was less than 2 years a compared to gym membership (note this is not the heavy duty gym equipment obviously) bought the stuff and never looked back.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Well I’d been considering either a planet fitness membership bc I can go after work every day or to get a treadmill which would basically be cost of a nice membership
  • Indialove901
    Indialove901 Posts: 71 Member
    I wasn’t gonna say this because there are several people on here that actually have brutal winters where they live, but I’ll be honest... I’m in Texas (from Memphis) 🥴 so I don’t have “real” winter weather to worry about. I just HATE being cold and I’m just starting to consistently workout, so this will be my first winter if I continue outdoor exercise.

Thank you all for the feedback. ☺️
  • TurquiseTurtle7
    TurquiseTurtle7 Posts: 16 Member
    I'm in an area that doesn't get very cold, so I'm hoping to keep running throughout the winter. I'm relying on lots of layers that I can remove between laps if I start getting overheated. It's mainly just my nose that tends to get cold and my ears ache if there's a cold wind. Easy enough to cover my ears but I haven't figured a way to cover my nose without effecting my breathing.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    edited October 2020
    I'm hoping the gym stays open. I have some stuff in the 3rd stall of the garage I can use but generally don't see above freezing from December to Mid-March.

Trying to carve out some space in the basement.
  • RBnorth66
    RBnorth66 Posts: 85 Member
    Winter is already here with snow. I will snowshoe when there's enough snow on the ground. In the meantime, walking and at least 20 min. of aerobics indoors. Plus some free weights.