Loosing weight

Options
Every since Covid 19 hit the planet and I am a front line healthcare worker wearing a mask for 12 hours plus a day.
I have gained 20 lbs and have horrific acid reflux and belching! Our gallbadder releases bile and our stomach releases gasteric juices to aide us in digestions however, we are inhaling all of that back into our system. Our teeth, gums and oral hygiene are suffering as well! Our food is not properly metabolizing because of this To be quite honest, I feel like crap most of the time.
Looking for support and motivation of some type to help get this weight off, I am defintely not eating more than before! It is very frustrating!!!

Replies

• OneSmallThingToday
    OneSmallThingToday Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Every since Covid 19 hit the planet and I am a front line healthcare worker wearing a mask for 12 hours plus a day.
    I have gained 20 lbs and have horrific acid reflux and belching! Our gallbadder releases bile and our stomach releases gasteric juices to aide us in digestions however, we are inhaling all of that back into our system. Our teeth, gums and oral hygiene are suffering as well! Our food is not properly metabolizing because of this To be quite honest, I feel like crap most of the time.
    Looking for support and motivation of some type to help get this weight off, I am defintely not eating more than before! It is very frustrating!!!

Have you thought if seeing a doctor? What you describe isn’t a thing. It sounds more like you’ve may be experiencing the symptoms of GERD - possibly as a result of gaining weight (I am NOT a doctor, so obviously take what I have to say with a grain of salt). While reflux can lead to bad breath, and the excess acids in your mouth can erode teeth and gums,, I would need to see a serious amount of reputable peer reviewed studies to support your assertions that we are inhaling bile and gastric juices causing us to not not properly metabolizing our food.

If you’re a smoker or drink a lot of coffee, that can aggravate gastric distress and GERD, as can other changes in diet.

If you truly haven’t changed what you’re eating, and have gained 20 lbs, it’s time to see a doctor. Yes, stress and changes in sleep can affect your lepton and ghrelin levels which can lead to weight gain, but what you’re describing doesn't seem likely.

I hope you find the answers you’re looking for.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Is that what happened to me!
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I KNOW frontline healthcare workers who have maintained their weight during this period, as well as those who have lost weight. I don't think it's the mask . . .

Right? As an essential employee, I work with 300 ish other essential employees. Some of us have lost, some gained, and some have maintained. Nothing whatsoever to do with wearing a mask.