Gaining Weight Hand over Fist

Options
Hi folks,

So I've been engaged in a fight with my inner fattie for while now.
Sometime he wins, but most I win. - apart from recently....

My weight has gone from 19.8st in 2017 down to 12.09st by 2019, but since then its crept up to now 15st which just will not do.

My work has changed and I have gone from being very active - constantly moving all day, also brisk walking 30 miles per week (3x 10miles), down to pretty much desk bound all day and dropping my walks to 20 miles (2x 5miles & 1x 10mile) a week.
I also used to have a weight session every morning which I have stopped.

I can't really increase my walks as I now work longer hours and don't have the time.
My motivation for the weights is on the deck, so all I can think of is to re-do my diet to compensate for my inactivity.
My diet is as follows:

Weekdays;
7am Coffee, 9am Cereal, 11am Apple, 12am Slimfast Shake + 2x chunks of Cucumber, 2pm Skinny Whip choc bar (99 calories), 4pm homemade Popcorn with Coconut Oil, 7/8 dinner.
Various Coffee's throughout the day + 2 bottles of water.

Exceptions/Additions:
Dinner on a Friday - Fish 2pieces one without batter + a couple (normally 5) chips.
I also take Anti-depressants + Various Vitamins every morning.

I'm thinking of trying a 2 day fast a week, probably a Tuesday and Thursday as they are the two of the days I work out, also adding Apple Cider Vinegar on those days.

What does everyone think? I've not changed my diet since I started to loose weight - is there anything I'm doing that is practically unhealthy?

Replies

• Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    Time to break-up with your inner fatty. How we speak to ourselves matters. It matters more than how others to speak to us. Really. Your brain takes it to heart and acts on it.

Don't throw everything UP against the wall trying to find something that will stick. This is overcompensation and you don't need it. No one does. The 2 day a week fast will only dig you into a much deeper hole with food.
    Don't do it.

ACV is better used on your battery cables for a jump-start. You can't wind yourself up like this. I don't want to judge your food because you might be eating according to what your budget will afford. You're sweet, I know that much. Are you trying to follow a specific food protocol? I agree, a few changes might be just the ticket but not the things you're suggesting.

• steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    Options

1) "all I can think of is to re-do my diet to compensate for my inactivity.

2) I'm thinking of trying a 2 day fast a week, probably a Tuesday and Thursday as they are the two of the days I work out, also adding Apple Cider Vinegar on those days.

Pertaining to point #1, you have you're answer right there. A significant lifestyle change requires a compensation in intake. Ensure you're in a caloric deficit consistently and you'll find progress.

Pertaining to point #2, see point #1. ACV does nothing for weight loss and fasting isn't magic independent of a calorie deficit. If it helps you with adherence, have at it. I would caution against fasting and/or restricting calories too much on the days you workout; you need to be able to fuel those workouts. If anything target workout days as mildly higher calorie days compared to rest days.
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    Enter your info to the Set Up Guide in MFP, if you haven't already, select a reasonable weight loss goal* and see how many calories you are allocated per day. Be aware that your Activity Level is Sedentary; you'd then separately log your exercise, as and when you do your long walks (or anything else), which will give you more calories for that day.

Weigh and log everything you eat, measure (in ml) everything liquid (apart from cups of coffee - just track those as 1 coffee each time), for a week. That'll tell you how many calories you're actually consuming per day - just make sure you're using accurate entries as there are plenty of inaccurate ones in the MFP database. Once you know how much you're eating, it'll also make it easier to see where you could make changes.

Obvious suggestions would be to try a smaller portion of cereal but perhaps have a hard boiled egg afterwards. Have a huge salad, with some protein, for lunch so that you're eating real food or make a large vegetable soup and have a portion per day for lunch instead of slimfast. Depending on how many calories your current snack is, look at buying popcorn. Proper Corn do a sweet & salty version that 63 cals per bag and a sea salted one that's 44 cals per bag. The bags aren't very big, but they just take the edge off any cravings. They're available in medium and large UK supermarkets (which is where I'm guessing you are). I assume your dinner varies from day to day. Could you have a smaller portion of pasta or rice? put one less potato on your plate? and replace with more veg to fill you up? Also, make sure you're eating sufficient protein.

* Don't be too aggressive. I switched to maintenance at the start of lockdown, having lost three stone at a rate of 0.5lb a week. It took a while, but I learned a lot about food portions in the process. A rate of 1lb a week, initially, would be reasonable but drop that to 0.5lb a week once you've only got about 20lb left to lose.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    Sidenote: I meant baking soda instead of ACV on your battery cables. You vehicle battery is acid and ACV won't do bodiddly for the battery cables but baking soda will.
  • Courtscan2
    Courtscan2 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Why would you fast on the days you workout? Those are the days your body would need energy the most. And I agree with the others, rather than making broad, sweeping, (unsustainable) changes, start tracking what you eat, so that you know how many calories you are getting. Then start planning what you eat based on that. If, for example, you determine you need 1800 to lose (random example, please run your own numbers) map out a day with 1800 in the tracker, and eat that. Once you reach your caloric goal for the day - stop eating. It's very simple, no need to mess with fasts, food timing, ACV etc. etc.
  • ChickenKillerPuppy
    ChickenKillerPuppy Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Protein fills me up so I like to start my day with protein rather than carbs bc feel more satisfied and stay full longer. I also bulk up lunch, dinner, and snacks with vegetables to give me volume without a lot of calories.

I agree with everyone who says don’t fast. That’s not something sustainable or even pleasant. If you want to take control of this I agree with those who say figure out how many calories you are consuming and work on creating a deficit from there. It takes time but once you experiment and start to understand how many calories you need to lose/maintain/gain then you can really play with food choices and make better decisions for yourself.
  • natasor1
    natasor1 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    This is not new. I do 2 days fasting a week. It's very easy when I do 2 days in raw, rite after workout. Sunday workout, I have big breakfast and then 48 hrs fast thru Tuesday 12 PM. By doing this I catch good deal of autophagy. To say sencerely, first 24 hrs just empties stomach, it"s not even considered a fasting. Our guts hold food for so long, that it can feed our body from this contents for another day. It brings your weight for day one 2-4 lb down, and another day may be more 2 lb. When you start eating, it"s not suprise, your weight will go up. But only to the point where fill your storage of glycogen (2-3lb). If you overeat, you restock your initial weight. But if you able to keep low calories to the next time of fast, it may happens very fast weight loss jorney. The pleasant drop on the scales will keep you motivated so much, that you will continue without problem. The good news, you don't have to increase your exercise level, just keep it at the sencible level, when you can recover quick
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    My diet is as follows:

Weekdays;
    7am Coffee, 9am Cereal, 11am Apple, 12am Slimfast Shake + 2x chunks of Cucumber, 2pm Skinny Whip choc bar (99 calories), 4pm homemade Popcorn with Coconut Oil, 7/8 dinner.
    Various Coffee's throughout the day + 2 bottles of water.

Exceptions/Additions:
    Dinner on a Friday - Fish 2pieces one without batter + a couple (normally 5) chips.
    I also take Anti-depressants + Various Vitamins

What does everyone think? I've not changed my diet since I started to loose weight - is there anything I'm doing that is practically unhealthy?

I’d suggest adding foods to your diet so you’re consuming more protein, fiber, and healthy fat. To be honest, your daily foods (as listed) don’t have much nutritional balance. What’s a 7/8 dinner?
  • Ddsb11
    Ddsb11 Posts: 607 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    I’m sorry I tried to read your post and it became a blur of information I don’t typically need or look for (It’s NOT you, it’s me).

This is what I find relevant-

1.Are you weighing your food (every. single. thing)?
    2. Have you started a new intense workout regiment you’re not accustomed to?
    3. Are you following your weight trend?
    4. Have you started something new recently? Whether macros or workout
    5. Do your monthly hormones apply?
    6. Did you travel recently?
    .......AND MOST IMPORTANTLY
    7. Are you eating at a reasonable deficit of 250-500 cal a week? (like actually know by weighing your food)?

This wasn't obvious to me at first either, so you're in good company :)
  • charmmeth
    charmmeth Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    What’s a 7/8 dinner?

I assumed it meant dinner at 7:00 or 8:00 p.m.?
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,619 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Does coconut oil reduce the calories of popped corn or does it just taste good?

How much coconut oil goes on the popcorn? Is that more filling than the same calories worth of apples, or boiled potatoes?

I don't see the calories of the 7/8 dinner.

I suspect that they're the same type of calories as my 9/8ths dinners this past month.... the ones I've been having lately instead of the 8/8ths dinners that would get me to maintain my weight!

The predictable result is that my weight has been trending up by about 1/8th of a dinner a day!!! 🙈🙀 (Fitbit and trendweigh both agree: 9/8th dinners + "fun" sized Halloween candy on sale do not lead to flat weight trends!!)
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Does coconut oil reduce the calories of popped corn or does it just taste good?

How much coconut oil goes on the popcorn? Is that more filling than the same calories worth of apples, or boiled potatoes?

I don't see the calories of the 7/8 dinner.

I suspect that they're the same type of calories as my 9/8ths dinners this past month.... the ones I've been having lately instead of the 8/8ths dinners that would get me to maintain my weight!

The predictable result is that my weight has been trending up by about 1/8th of a dinner a day!!! 🙈🙀 (Fitbit and trendweigh both agree: 9/8th dinners + "fun" sized Halloween candy on sale do not lead to flat weight trends!!)

The fun size Halloween candy is killing me lol
  • AlexiaC47
    AlexiaC47 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I would substitute the slimfast shake and chocolate bar -- with real food- lowfat yogurt with berries, an apple with peanut butter, a handful of walnuts, avocado on a fiber cracker.

Popcorn should not be a daily meal, but rather an occasional snack.

Eat a real lunch. eggs, salad with protein etc
  • domeofstars
    domeofstars Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Give fasting a go, it can be a game-changer for some people.