I try to be optimistic, but

I'm probably at my lowest weight for the rest of the year right now. I might not gain much, but I'll probably gain something.

I am not brave enough to step in a gym or pool until something really changes.

Replies

• Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    I'm with you. I haven't been in the pool all summer long. It's filled with tourists from all over the world. I'm not going but I sure do miss it. Trust your own discernment.
  • evilokc
    evilokc Posts: 260 Member
    watch your diet and do what you can at home. if its warm enough get outside and run.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    @evilokc That's what I'm going to do, I'm going to start running in the snow and it won't be warm until the 4th of July.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    How's everyone doing? I'm up about 3-4lbs. I've been active, but there's not much to inspire excellent behavior.
  • frankwbrown
    frankwbrown Posts: 12,150 Member
    Humor is what helps us survive the bumps in our journey.
    "I try to be optimistic, but..."
    This makes me laugh. It reminds me of a couple things:
    One is a comment by John Gorka during an introduction to his song "Good Noise":
    "I try to have a good attitude, but I don't think it's gonna get me anywhere."

The other thing I'm reminded of, probably my all time favorite meme from the Three Stooges:
    "I'm tryin' to think, but nothin' happens!"
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    We've just bought a spin bike. And, I'm learning to love cold-weather jogging and walking/hiking. Like @frankwbrown, I miss swimming!
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Been considering a spin bike for the winter months as well. Might see if the New Years sales are worth it...
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,975 Member
    I'm doing the Concept 2 Holiday Challenge - 200k rowing machine meters between US Thanksgiving and Christmas Eve - or at least striving to complete it. So far, so good (at 115,338 as of yesterday, so a bit over halfway, and a little ahead of schedule). Every year, at least years when I'm uninjured so up to it, this helps me transition from on-water season to Winter. (I've been rowing, boats and machine, for 17+ years now.)

I'm on the waiting list to buy a Concept 2 ergbike. It's not that I think they're extra-special, but I prefer to stay in the C2 realm for a variety of reasons. In a normal year, I'd be going to spin classes at the Y twice a week, for variety vs. rowing. So, I'm looking for a substitute for that: Not going back to a gym anytime soon. My hybrid bike works in decent weather as an option, but I don't have safe routes for snow times. Ice and the risk of cold water swims are bars to much Winter on-water rowing.

Usually, I'd try to swim some in the Winter, because rowers need to be able to swim. Truthfully, though, I really dislike swimming personally, so the pandemic makes an easy excuse to blow it off.

Overall, I'm still on the "ultra-slow loss of vanity pounds, in maintenance" quest I've been on since about October 2019 (down around 11-12 pounds since then). There will be some scale bumps upward over the holidays, but meh, doesn't need to change the long-term trajectory, with or without exercise.