Medication and Medically supervised weight loss

Options
Hi everyone! Long time no see!

So several years ago I went from 300 lbs down to 180 by calorie deficit and exercise. Unfortunately, after getting pregnant (3 years ago, not actively pregnant) I have just been gaining weight. Right after I gave birth, I was diagnosed with an autoimmune disorder, and currently taking 3 medications that are all known for weight gain (one of them being a really high dose steroid).

I know that weight loss comes down to calories in vs calories out, and I know how to create a deficit/weigh food etc, but no matter how hard I try, I keep gaining weight instead of losing because I can’t seem to stick to even the most minimal calorie deficits (the steroids and other two medications give me such an increased appetite that I can’t stay in a deficit), so I’ve been considering taking medication to try and help me stay in a deficit.

One of the nurses I work with reccomended TourchRX. She said it helped her stay in a deficit while working with doctors and a health coach and she had great results.

I know that these forums tend to be antimedication, but I’m starting to feel like without medical intervention I’m going to just keep gaining until I’m so unhealthy I can’t do anything (just now at 310 I’m having trouble with daily activities without being in pain). I know it’s not a long term solution, but maybe it can help me get on the right track.

Has anyone used tourchRX here? If not anyone use a medication that really helped them that I could discuss with my doctor (like saxenda, quysma etc)?

Note: not looking for negative posts that are just going to tell me not seek medical and medication help at this point. I’ve been trying to stay in a deficit for 5 months and its time to consider getting help because I can’t stay in a deficit.

Replies

• Deviette
    Deviette Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I have very little to say that's going to be helpful, but just wanted to wish you luck. I know that MFP can be quite anti medication, but that's normally because it's seen by the user as a quick fix. It's clear that your issues are not through lack of trying.

I don't know how your medication is at managing your condition, but maybe you could see if there are alternatives that have less of an effect on your appetite. While weight is important, managing your condition is equally so, so if they work wonders for managing your autoimmune condition, ignore this suggestion.

And yes, speak to your doctors in general. Tell them that you want to lose weight. That you're trying. Tell them you want help and you want to find out about your options. Explain the problems you're having with your current medication. And tell them that you are not satisfied with the current situation.

Best of luck xx
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    The steroid is going to seriously increase your hunger. I don’t know if an appetite suppressant would work to counter that without interacting with the medications you need to take for your condition.

I know the nurse suggested something, but I would speak with your doctor to see if he/she knows whether or not that would work in combination with your other meds. Best of luck!
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    I appreciate that you acknowledge that the medications you're on lead to increased appetite, and thus eating more than you need which is why you've gained. So many people seem to miss the links in that process.

No personal experience except to say that we each have to find our own path and yours may not be as simple as 'just eat less'. Research the side effects of the medication, talk it over with your doctor to make sure it has not contraindications with your current medications.

I have a good friend who did bariatric surgery last December and has since lost 130 pounds to get to a healthy weight. Constantly under doctor's care. Her reason was not because she just couldn't do it the 'regular' way - but because she had other health stuff going on. She needed back surgery - was facing potential paralysis without it - and needed to get her weight down FAST to be able to do the back surgery. She has now had the back surgery (it was postponed somewhat by covid) and is in the long process of recovery. It will be months before she can do full/regular activity, but she is doing well in her process.
  • AlexiaC47
    AlexiaC47 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I am not saying you are, but do not allow your meds to be a crutch/excuse.

I have had hypothyroid for over 20 years. Left uncontrolled, it slows metabolism and causes gain. I have had it controlled with medication.

And also for over 20 years, I have generally kept my weight down - I have mostly eaten healthy, watched my weight, been on WW, and exercised.
    Yet, when I gain weight, I am tempted to lie to myself and blame it on the thyroid (needs re-checking, need to adjust meds etc). But, to paraphrase Novus, it is not the meds nor the disorder -- these things can present challenges to loss- but do not actually cause you to gain. You gain when you eat too much and move too little.

Eat high protein foods to fill you up -- eggs, nonfat yogurt, if hunger is the issue
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    Pen/Fen worked great for me. It was truly amazing. When Fenfluramine was taken off the market, I tried pairing other medications with Phentermine, but this didn't work as well. (Note: Phen is risky for the heart as well, but apparently not so risky as to be withdrawn from the market.)

I believe I gained all but 10 pounds back when I stopped taking Phentermine, and so I am concerned about this happening to you as well. The medications with which I am familiar are not meant to be taken long term.

I don't see short term medications as truly being helpful to get one on the right track. It's like suppressing your appetite with an amphetamine - the appetite suppression is artificial and comes roaring back after the drug is out of your system.

You mentioned Torch Rx above. I see it is not a drug but a program, and so I bet is more expensive than just picking a WL drug with your doctor.

https://torchrx.com/pages/faq

I imagine just as people react differently to various antidepressants, so do they with WL drugs. How about reading up on the ones you mentioned and discussing with your doctor?

The nurse you mentioned is also working with a coach. A dietitian and something like Cognitive Behavioral Therapy might be helpful to you. (In general "Coaches" make me nervous due to lack of licensing standards, but perhaps you could work with the same coach as your nurse?)

299f07d00ab6b4f57f1f790bdb0fd6b8.png
  • yrmom
    yrmom Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm new to this community also. I understand your dilemma - the meds contributing to weight gain and/or inability to lose weight at a rate that feels progressive. I lost 40 lbs over a year with calorie/carb counting and increasing my daily activity. Since the pandemic, I've gained 14 back. As an RN, I discussed my concerns with my physician and she recommended Liraglutide - a prescription medication that is self-administered via injection once per day. It acts on the pancreas/liver/small intestine to slow gastric emptying to tell the brain you are full. Side effects seem rough- severe indigestion and possibly vomiting. My dr. did not recommend any of the stimulants as they can be very hard on the heart and blood pressure, which are already an issue for most overweight folks. I took the prescription but have yet to fill it. I would love to have the initial encouragement of a 10 lb weight loss in a month, but I've been overweight now for about 15 years, so I do know in my own case, I'd probably just gain it back. I'm hesitant to risk the potential side effects (vomiting, pancreatitis) for the potential immediate weight loss. My dr. felt like it was safe, so I'm going to keep considering it. But in the meantime, I know I have to continue reducing my calories. I also know personally, I can't go above 50-60 grams of carbs per day, or I simply won't lose - and of late- I will gain! I hate that, but it's my reality. Lowering carbs brought my cholesterol and sugar into normal zone and after the initial adjustment I felt so much better day in and out. So WHY did I go back to the old way of eating? Sugar addiction. It's a life long work in progress with the harsh reality being I have to reduce the carbs. I can eat what I want, but keep that limit where it is. I have to know if I eat potato chips, I'm going to want way more than is healthy. Conversely, I love a good salad and I can eat all of that I want.
    Sorry this turned into my life history :) I do understand your thinking on why medication might help. Do your own research and make an appt. with your doctor to discuss your questions and concerns. Good Luck!
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Pen/Fen worked great for me. It was truly amazing. When Fenfluramine was taken off the market, I tried pairing other medications with Phentermine, but this didn't work as well. (Note: Phen is risky for the heart as well, but apparently not so risky as to be withdrawn from the market.)

I believe I gained all but 10 pounds back when I stopped taking Phentermine, and so I am concerned about this happening to you as well. The medications with which I am familiar are not meant to be taken long term.

I don't see short term medications as truly being helpful to get one on the right track. It's like suppressing your appetite with an amphetamine - the appetite suppression is artificial and comes roaring back after the drug is out of your system.

You mentioned Torch Rx above. I see it is not a drug but a program, and so I bet is more expensive than just picking a WL drug with your doctor.

https://torchrx.com/pages/faq

I imagine just as people react differently to various antidepressants, so do they with WL drugs. How about reading up on the ones you mentioned and discussing with your doctor?

The nurse you mentioned is also working with a coach. A dietitian and something like Cognitive Behavioral Therapy might be helpful to you. (In general "Coaches" make me nervous due to lack of licensing standards, but perhaps you could work with the same coach as your nurse?)

299f07d00ab6b4f57f1f790bdb0fd6b8.png

Great suggestions. Will look into it.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    yrmom wrote: »
    Hi! I'm new to this community also. I understand your dilemma - the meds contributing to weight gain and/or inability to lose weight at a rate that feels progressive. I lost 40 lbs over a year with calorie/carb counting and increasing my daily activity. Since the pandemic, I've gained 14 back. As an RN, I discussed my concerns with my physician and she recommended Liraglutide - a prescription medication that is self-administered via injection once per day. It acts on the pancreas/liver/small intestine to slow gastric emptying to tell the brain you are full. Side effects seem rough- severe indigestion and possibly vomiting. My dr. did not recommend any of the stimulants as they can be very hard on the heart and blood pressure, which are already an issue for most overweight folks. I took the prescription but have yet to fill it. I would love to have the initial encouragement of a 10 lb weight loss in a month, but I've been overweight now for about 15 years, so I do know in my own case, I'd probably just gain it back. I'm hesitant to risk the potential side effects (vomiting, pancreatitis) for the potential immediate weight loss. My dr. felt like it was safe, so I'm going to keep considering it. But in the meantime, I know I have to continue reducing my calories. I also know personally, I can't go above 50-60 grams of carbs per day, or I simply won't lose - and of late- I will gain! I hate that, but it's my reality. Lowering carbs brought my cholesterol and sugar into normal zone and after the initial adjustment I felt so much better day in and out. So WHY did I go back to the old way of eating? Sugar addiction. It's a life long work in progress with the harsh reality being I have to reduce the carbs. I can eat what I want, but keep that limit where it is. I have to know if I eat potato chips, I'm going to want way more than is healthy. Conversely, I love a good salad and I can eat all of that I want.
    Sorry this turned into my life history :) I do understand your thinking on why medication might help. Do your own research and make an appt. with your doctor to discuss your questions and concerns. Good Luck!

Thank you

• Ddsb11
    Ddsb11 Posts: 607 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options

Hey welcome!! I hope you stick around for a while, I can’t wait to see what you think and believe after a year of learning from this community. You’ll find your resolve will completely change in regard to what you think your body is capable of, and how you can reach your goals. Please please, start with the stickies at the top. Trust me, you can lose track of time reading all the goodies MFP has in there. Ciao for now!
  • domeofstars
    domeofstars Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Duromine might work but you gotta talk to your doctor about it.
  • 2021WLjourney
    2021WLjourney Posts: 19 Member
    Options

Hi Elphie and Yrmom!

I was wondering how you have decided to move forward since these last posts were written.

I am in a very similar position and have done a fair bit of reading and tried out a crapload of OTC things.

When weight gain related to medications comes into play, it’s not just about “calories in vs calories out” anymore.
    There are so many variables to consider and I truly believe that addressing this side effect with your doctor is important.

Sadly many primary care physicians don’t have much experience in obesity management and there is still so much weight bias and stigma at play.

It takes a lot of self advocacy to be heard and helped.

That being said, I too have obesity (a chronic illness) that is made worse by Rx meds for a different chronic illness.

The Obesity Network Canada is a great resource for more information. I can only say: read it and talk about it with your doctor.

My solution right now will be using Saxenda. Not as a shortcut, but as a preventative medication to lower weight, improve my health and prevent diabetes and heart disease.

But not just the medication. I also have lined up local free exercise groups (walking), obviously using a food diary and a public health therapist to work on other related issues that may cause overeating.

A multipronged approach.
    I hope you can find a way that works for you too!
  • Iwannabeapunkrockmom
    Iwannabeapunkrockmom Posts: 61 Member
    edited March 2021
    Options
    I just wanted to pop in and give you encouragement. I was diagnosed with RA last year and spent the entire year on steroids. I counted and weighed every calorie and walked daily with a walking cane to try to combat it's effects. My doctors were able to slowly reduce my need for prednisone after I started taking hydroxychloroquine. At the same time, they decided that the IUD I had (Mirena) was contributing to my autoimmune issues and I had that removed. Within days of coming off both meds, weight and inches started melting off. Prednisone had me all swollen up like a blow fish. Some people here say that it's possible to lose weight while taking it, but it was not possible for me. After I changed my meds, I was also put on Wellbutrin for depression, adhd, and cdd and that has helped a little as well.... More mentally, but that matters too. It sucked gaining weight during treatment. And I'm not sure if there is a solution for everyone during treatment. But it's important for you to get your disease under control, once you get there it's much easier to attain your goals. This is not to discourage you. I think it's important to start logging now. But I just wanted to encourage you that there is a light at the end of the tunnel. You can do this. I get discouraged a lot with the ups and downs of my autoimmune diseases. It's so tough. But you can start the habits that will improve your health today.