Tips for breaking plateau

Options
Hi,

I've lost about a stone in the past few months and gone down to 136 pounds. I seem to be stuck now. It's harder to get out with the darker nights and everything so I probably am exercising less.

I started a new running programme recently but I find I need to eat more to give me the energy to do that so although it's good for fitness it's not really helping with my weight loss!

Does anyone have any tips for how they break a plateau?

Many thanks

Replies

• IronIsMyTherapy
    IronIsMyTherapy Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I think you answered your own question with regards to exercising less. I'm always and advocate for moving more rather than eating less when you hit a sticking point.

About energy, it could be fixed partially by what you eat and when you eat. I like to have carbs pre-workout.
  • belkyg0430
    belkyg0430 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I totally understand you as I am also in the same boat. I have been stuck at 129 the most I get to is 128.8.
    Hasn't been easy trying to loose 10 more pounds. let me know what you find that can help us break this plateau.
  • cat_monster
    cat_monster Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I think you answered your own question with regards to exercising less. I'm always and advocate for moving more rather than eating less when you hit a sticking point.

Time to put this high vis on and head out in the dark I think! If only I had a gym in my house.
  • IronIsMyTherapy
    IronIsMyTherapy Posts: 482 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options

Time to put this high vis on and head out in the dark I think! If only I had a gym in my house.

Skipping rope is a great alternative with very low cost. Technically, you don't even need a rope! (Although you may look crazy lol) It's also challenging so I like seeing how many I can do before I trip up, then work on increasing that.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I've lost about a stone in the past few months and gone down to 136 pounds. I seem to be stuck now. It's harder to get out with the darker nights and everything so I probably am exercising less.

I started a new running programme recently but I find I need to eat more to give me the energy to do that so although it's good for fitness it's not really helping with my weight loss!

Does anyone have any tips for how they break a plateau?

Many thanks

What makes you think you are in a plateau? The scale not moving after adding a new exercise and changing the way you eat doesn't mean your fat loss has stopped. It could simply mean you are retaining extra water and it is a normal, annoyingly normal, response. It could last for several weeks.

If that is the case then you need concentrate on verifying you are in a calorie deficit. Use a food scale, verify the calories of the MFP entries you pick to log, and make sure you are logging your exercise correctly. If you nail down those 3 steps, assuming you haven't already, you can confirm your deficit. If you are in a deficit you are most assuredly reducing real weight no matter what the scale says.

How much weight do you have left to lose? Have you taken a diet/deficit break yet?

• lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,640 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    Hi,

What makes you think you are in a plateau? The scale not moving after adding a new exercise and changing the way you eat doesn't mean your fat loss has stopped. It could simply mean you are retaining extra water and it is a normal, annoyingly normal, response. It could last for several weeks.

If that is the case then you need concentrate on verifying you are in a calorie deficit. Use a food scale, verify the calories of the MFP entries you pick to log, and make sure you are logging your exercise correctly. If you nail down those 3 steps, assuming you haven't already, you can confirm your deficit. If you are in a deficit you are most assuredly reducing real weight no matter what the scale says.

How much weight do you have left to lose? Have you taken a diet/deficit break yet?

Thank you so much for your reply to the OP. I needed to read this. Lost 85 pounds...and feel a bit "stuck" lately with the scale. I'm thinking it is time to trust what I'm doing...and perhaps time for a break.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options

Thank you so much for your reply to the OP. I needed to read this. Lost 85 pounds...and feel a bit "stuck" lately with the scale. I'm thinking it is time to trust what I'm doing...and perhaps time for a break.

@lauriekallis

You should come to my MFP Larger Losers Group:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/133315-larger-losers

It is for people who started or are starting with 75 or more pounds to lose and wish to lose their weight in a sensible and sustainable fashion. I like to recruit people at the beginning, middle, and end of the weight loss phase because it helps to get experience from different parts to help each other. We have an excellent group of people and would be pleased for you to join in.
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,640 Member
    Options

You should come to my MFP Larger Losers Group:

Thank you! I just saw this and I've joined the group. Not going to post or introduce myself tonight...too tired! But will tomorrow.
  • Noodlesprout
    Noodlesprout Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Not saying what you should do but what works for me is a cheat meal and a dessert. I usually gain initially (likely salt) and then stick to low calorie over next few days and weight drops off past plateau. It’s not easy depends how strong your willpower is to get back on wagon after cheat meal so it doesn’t turn into cheat day/week.
    Good luck on your journey!
  • cat_monster
    cat_monster Posts: 51 Member
    Options

Hi, I took a break a couple of months ago. I have about a stone to lose. I'm at the higher end of a healthy weight at the moment.

I really have ramped up the exercising recently, so that is something to consider.