After a big weight loss do you ever get used to the cold?

Options
It was 4 years ago now since I dropped 60lbs which makes me 6ft at 170lbs, I don't have much padding now lol and this is the issue. Come Autumn / Winter I am constantly freezing even when its not overly cold. My nose is always running and I always seem to have a head cold from being constantly cold. I'm a tradesman so outside a lot of the day which doesn't help, This never happened before my weight loss and I thought after 4 years I might have got used to it but nope. Anyone else been in this situation?

Replies

• cerad2
    cerad2 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Yep. I still have more padding than you but I get the chills all the time. Grew up in Michigan and was used to the winters but nowadays even having the temperature dip below 40(f) is a big deal. Heating blankets and small space heaters are among my best friends. On the plus side, the hot summers no longer bother me as much.
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I feel the cold now, too. Hot drinks are your friend - take a thermos on site if they don't have proper tea facilities. Layers, as others have said, are vital. You're better off with several thin layers than one chunky jumper. Gym or running wear is good as it allows you to move freely for your job and helps wick away sweat if you're doing heavy work. For me a bit trick in not letting the chill set in is to keep extremities warm. Good socks and boots are a must. Also a hat. Gloves may not be practical given your job but it's worth having some in your pockets so you can at least wear them on breaks.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,900 Member
    Options
    dave_in_ni wrote: »
    It was 4 years ago now since I dropped 60lbs which makes me 6ft at 170lbs, I don't have much padding now lol and this is the issue. Come Autumn / Winter I am constantly freezing even when its not overly cold. My nose is always running and I always seem to have a head cold from being constantly cold. I'm a tradesman so outside a lot of the day which doesn't help, This never happened before my weight loss and I thought after 4 years I might have got used to it but nope. Anyone else been in this situation?

Are you dressing the same as you did 60 pounds ago? My mother weighs considerably less than my brother and me and dresses very differently than we do...I was going to say in the Fall, but really, all year round.

Are you making sure to keep your head, hands, and feet nice and warm? I have some mitten gloves - the mitten part flips back to expose my fingertips when needed. Example:

https://www.amazon.com/Palmyth-Convertible-Fingerless-Thinsulate-Photography/dp/B07VZSPYQ3/

Thinsulate boots? Layers of socks, including wool socks?

For hat inspiration, watch "Fortitude." I'm in the US and watched on Amazon Prime, but it's a British show and there may be many different ways to watch depending on what country you're in.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fortitude_(TV_series)

(Notice how all the ears are covered or coverable with flaps.)

dan-anderssen-fortitude-1-1.jpg

1055492.jpg

My OH liked the way Dr. Khatri rocked her hat:

d88ac54a279d6a34f00fac91e8ee9f1b.jpg
  • kshama2001
    edited October 2020
    Options
    More from "Fortitude" - when Stanley Tucci's character arrived from London like this he was referred to as "the man in the stupid coat."

fortitude.jpg.jpg

He learned how to dress appropriately:

ee8936210930a525bb1ee9c0dd7d01ef.jpg
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    Have you tried flannel lined jeans/work pants? My husband has two pair for those cold days when he wants to get outside tasks done. He has no extra body fat. That and a good hat. A hat does wonders, even if it's something like a base layer under a helmet/hard hat.
  • Mithridites
    Mithridites Posts: 595 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    In a nutshell... NO. Good base layers helped the first time I lost a lot of weight and worked outside. I got a good set at costco that was thin and flexible but had a high merino wool content. Also check out Duluth Trading for excellent cold weather work wear. It's rarely in my price range, except when on sale, but all my items from there have worn exceptionally well. I also like the way they do business.
    Glove liners and even sock liners also were lifesavers. And I knit myself a custom-fit balaclava that fit under the ear-flap hat (or could fit under a hardhat). Maybe a kind knitter in your life can make you cozy :)
    I may have looked wrapped up but I did NOT get sick.
  • dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Cold all the time.
  • domeofstars
    domeofstars Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    No, I never have. I'm always cold when its winter and autumn! Its frustrating.
  • mylittlerainbow
    mylittlerainbow Posts: 822 Member
    Options
    I have always been too cold all winter long. Did notice a difference when I gained all the weight and will be interested to see how this winter will go now that I'm back down.
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    I am cold constantly now, which is funny, because before I dieted, I was always hot. In spring and summers, I used to keep the airconditioning pegged to 68, nowadays it's set to 73 and a lot of the time it's off if as long as it isn't too brutally hot outside. All winter long, I am freezing - never used to be that way. I guess all that fat served at least one useful purpose LOL
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    I have never become acclimated to the cold after my weight loss. On the flip side, though, even the hottest days of summer now seem pleasant to me.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    Options
    I've never lost more than ~30 lbs but that first winter was brutal. Subsequently, I think I've adjusted to an extent but still layer up more than I used to.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    I'm always coldrife too, layer up, thats all you can do - thermal vests/bottoms etc and even thermal socks.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    For indoors, these Sorel Manawan slippers (bought a little big so I can wear cotton socks plus wool socks) make a huge difference. I saved $50 on my heating bill the first month I got them because I was able to turn down the heat.

https://www.amazon.com/Sorel-Manawan-Slippers-Polyester-Buffalo/dp/B07MM5QR4X/

71tF40tqmBL._AC_UY500_.jpg

Also, I got flannel pajamas from Land's End last year for my birthday and they are soooooo warm!
  • KickassAmazon76
    KickassAmazon76 Posts: 4,559 Member
    Options
    I am always cold and get the chills very easily. The thinner I get, the worse it is.

Sadly it doesn't get better... You just need to dress warmer.

Congrats on the massive loss and on keeping it off!
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    I find when I eat maintenance calories its not as bad. Are you still eating a deficit or are you maintaining? If it helps... muscle keeps you warmer than fat so.. lift? Or so I heard anyway.