egg white powder??

Hi all!~*
Looking for input about egg white powder please ^_^

I'm a vegetarian, not totally vegan, so I do eat some egg and milk if they're baked into something or used as a non-primary ingredient (still can't handle quiche though). I get kind of queasy thinking about eating them.

But I just saw egg white powder available for the first time in the market town near me. I've never had it before, and it was like $20 so I decided to think about it before I bought it.

I mean... 24 g of protein in 120 calories?? That's awesome!!

Could anyone give me some insight into egg white powder? Does it actually taste like eggs (yuck). Is the flavor really strong or is it pretty neutral? Could I mix it into a tofu scramble and not really know it was there. What does the texture do when you cook it?

Thanks so much for your thoughts! :)<3

Replies

• spr931
    spr931 Posts: 61 Member
    I have never heard of this! Interesting
  • mytyglotz
    mytyglotz Posts: 1,804 Member
    Hello there!!
    I want to apologize right off-the-bat, because I cannot offer much help here.
    I have only tried one type of Egg White Protein powder (made by the company True Nutrition), and it is flavored with stevia. I've only incorporated it into an "ice-cream" or frozen-shake-type concoction using a scoop of the powder, a splash of almond milk, and ice cubes. I did not notice an "egg-y" flavor or texture!!
    Then again, I haven't experimented with it in cooking or baking, or any other culinary method, and, as I said, I've only used that vanilla-flavored version by True Nutrition.

I am sure some other much more experienced and well-informed Pals here will offer some insight.
    :)
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    edited October 2020
    I bought some of it along with dried heavy cream powder in large cans for emergency purposes. I think you would prefer the cartons of egg whites from the grocery store. It's alright for baking but just eating...nuh huh.

xqt2mg4djdt0.png

lkmpczf8yj1p.png

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,553 Member
    I never heard of egg white powder but use those cartons of egg whites. Easy to store indefinitely if you freeze in silicon muffin trays or ice cube trays. Once frozen transfer to ziplock bags. Ice cubes of egg white don't take long to defrost but if you are in a hurry use the defrost setting of the microwave.

Those cartons of egg whites are good enough for eating. I stretch a scrambled egg with a couple of egg whites. I also use them for battering fish and meat to get flour or breadcrumbs to stick. For baking, one egg white is about 40g.
  • rayonrainbows
    rayonrainbows Posts: 423 Member
    mytyglotz wrote: »
    Hello there!!
    I want to apologize right off-the-bat, because I cannot offer much help here.
    I have only tried one type of Egg White Protein powder (made by the company True Nutrition), and it is flavored with stevia. I've only incorporated it into an "ice-cream" or frozen-shake-type concoction using a scoop of the powder, a splash of almond milk, and ice cubes. I did not notice an "egg-y" flavor or texture!!
    Then again, I haven't experimented with it in cooking or baking, or any other culinary method, and, as I said, I've only used that vanilla-flavored version by True Nutrition.

I am sure some other much more experienced and well-informed Pals here will offer some insight.
    :)

Thanks for your thoughts! They are actually very helpful! :)
    I hadn't thought about mixing it into sweet things because I don't eat much sweet stuff, but it could be a good use for it to mask the flavor if I buy it and don't love it. It would also add a protein kick to my sweet treats when I have them.
    Cheers!
  • rayonrainbows
    acpgee wrote: »
    I never heard of egg white powder but use those cartons of egg whites. Easy to store indefinitely if you freeze in silicon muffin trays or ice cube trays. Once frozen transfer to ziplock bags. Ice cubes of egg white don't take long to defrost but if you are in a hurry use the defrost setting of the microwave.

Those cartons of egg whites are good enough for eating. I stretch a scrambled egg with a couple of egg whites. I also use them for battering fish and meat to get flour or breadcrumbs to stick. For baking, one egg white is about 40g.

Hi! Thanks for your thoughts! :)
    Unfortunately where I live (Nicaragua) I've never seen cartons of egg whites for sale.
    I am a fan of powdered foods though because that's most common where I live, like powdered soy milk for example.
    Do the cartons that you're mentioning have a strong "eggy" flavor?
    Cheers! <3
  • rayonrainbows
    Diatonic12 wrote: »
    I bought some of it along with dried heavy cream powder in large cans for emergency purposes. I think you would prefer the cartons of egg whites from the grocery store. It's alright for baking but just eating...nuh huh.

Haha :D "For emergency purposes" -- You sound like me! ;)
    Ahh... Hmm. Well I don't bake.
    When you "just eat it" what's the flavor like? Does it taste like egg? And texture?
    I wouldn't just eat it though - I'd mix it in with things as an ingredient, maybe my soya sausages or tofu scramble, so maybe it would mask any flavor enough...
    Thanks for your thoughts!!! ^_^
  • tequila5000
    tequila5000 Posts: 128 Member
    My first thought about “egg white powder” would be a product used by serious long distance backpackers.
    What are the suggested usage instructions on the package?
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    edited October 2020
    Yuck, I need a bucket. Say yuck twice.

Do not seek the treasure. Go to the grocery store and buy a carton of egg whites. This multi-cr@p will continue to sit on the shelf for emergency purposes. I'd rather eat Fresh Pet.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,572 Member
    I have no idea about egg white powder but most of the taste is in the yolk so I think you're ok there.