Not really the results I expected, bit confused!

Options
Hey everyone! Lemme start off by saying hope everyone is safe and well. Over the course of this pandemic I decided to try and get in shape, I did the Insanity Workout (the OG one). I did month 1 twice and month 2 once. I dropped from about 108kg to 92kg (238lb-202lb). My goal is to get down to about 80kg (176lb). Im a male, 6ft 1inch tall. Im noticing that while im a lot fitter and thinner, im not really building muscle as they show in the infomercials. While its true I have build muscle and definition on my lower body, upper body im not seeing much. Due to the current pandemic situation in my country, going to the gym, buying weights and all is not an option for me. Can someone please advise what should be done. I wanted to hit another round of Insanity but thought it wise to consult those more knowledgeable about this stuff here on MFP! Looking forward to your replies. Thank you everyone and stay safe!!!

Replies

• Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    There's always another streetcar filled with slick marketing tricks coming around the corner.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Just marketing. It could help reveal muscles by aiding in a caloric deficit. It might even build some muscle very early on if untrained.

Much like crossfit, it will not add muscle long term nor did the people you see with incredible physiques used to sell their product obtain their bodies by the stimulus.

That being said if you enjoy it and will adhere only to that style of training In for it.

If you want to add muscle a more optimal avenue, I would just train with that style of programming. Powervuilding or hypertrophy is some keywords that might yield you results in the long term.

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    So Cristiano Ronaldo didn't get those pretty abs by strapping on an electronic belt to make his stomach twitch?
    I'm shocked! :wink:

Great progress on the weight loss but time to align your fitness routine with your physique goals.
    (With the caveat that enjoying your exercise is also a perfectly valid reason to do something.)

A shame that the gym or doing weights at home isn't possible but you can follow a bodyweight program at home and/or also improvise with heavy household objects.
    (See the stickied thread at the top of this forum for a list of programs.)
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Not sure what you are confused by. If I read your post correctly you did this workout for 3 months while eating in a deficit. BEST case scenario for you as a man, 1 - 2 lbs of muscle gain in a month. So considering the deficit, maybe 3 lbs of muscle. Not sure how visible the difference of 3 lbs of muscle (assuming you put that much on) would make.

Also as others have stated, infomercials are designed to make you purchase a product. You wouldn’t buy it if they told you what the models in the Infomercial were really doing to get those bodies. Exercise is great for you and if you enjoy this workout, keep doing it. If you’re ONLY doing it because you think it will make you muscular, well frankly, there are probably a million other options that would yield better results.
  • Simbii95
    Simbii95 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your input, really appreciate it!! @Dogmom1978 @sijomial is there anything you could recommend in terms of putting on some muscle, getting some definition? Any home workouts or something that incorporate only body weight as gym and purchasing weights aren't an option for me! Thank you so much for your responses!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    This is the list pf programs I referred to - in the Most Helpful Posts pinned to the top of this forum.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

In these difficult times we have to do the best we can.
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    This is the list pf programs I referred to - in the Most Helpful Posts pinned to the top of this forum.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

In these difficult times we have to do the best we can.

^^ this! Read through that. 😊