Dieting down but losing muscle and gaining fat.

Options
I can understand losing a little muscle while dieting down but fat percentage going up was unexpected.

I’m working out 6 days a week. I resistance train 40 minutes and do 30 minutes of cardio. I also consume about 150 grams of protein throughout the day. I’m losing about a pound a week.

Is body fat percentage going up and muscle mass going down normal when dieting down?

Replies

• psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    I can understand losing a little muscle while dieting down but fat percentage going up was unexpected.

I’m working out 6 days a week. I resistance train 40 minutes and do 30 minutes of cardio. I also consume about 150 grams of protein throughout the day. I’m losing about a pound a week.

Is body fat percentage going up and muscle mass going down normal when dieting down?

Generally losing some muscle mass is normal with weightloss. But losing more muscle mass that fat is not normal. How long as the trend of losing more lean mass than fat mass been happening?
  • psychod787
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

No it's not normal, especially for someone exercising/training, the majority of your weight lost should be fat.
    You should expect to lose some lean mass but not all lean mass is muscle.

But the big question is how exactly are you measuring body composition?

(If you are using domestic BIA scales then please don't make decisions or get discouraged based on what could be awful quality data.)

This was my thinking as well. That's why I asked how long this is happening. If it had been a trend for weeks i would worry, but if it's just week, it could just be white noise.
  • FitVibration
    FitVibration Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    @sijomial Very inconsistent. Off and on. But, I’m using a BMI scale.
  • FitVibration
    Options
    @Lietchi BMI scale 🤷‍♂️
  • FitVibration
    Options
    @psychod787 Very inconsistent reading. A day here and there. It’s not consistent. But, still surprised.
  • psychod787
    Options
    @psychod787 Very inconsistent reading. A day here and there. It’s not consistent. But, still surprised.

I have read several studies on lean mass loss during weight loss. One was on weight training post menopausal women and they lost 85% fat mass and 15% lean mass. The only other one i have read was the Biggest losers season 8 studies. They lost 80% fat mass to 20% lean mass. Those folks were in extreme deficits. Remember that not all lean mass is muscle. Some could be large amounts of body water.
  • FitVibration
    Options
    My mistake. I meant to say I have a Withings Body Comp scale. It’s like the best out there but it’s hardly perfect. Not an exact science for sure 👍
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    None of them are remotely accurate. I would ditch that scale and not try to use a commercial scale to determine body fat. All it will do is frustrate you. I just did a quick google search and found a report that they are on average off by 9%