Red wine vinegar!

Makes a change from apple cider vinegar posts!

I bought a bottle to use in some braised red cabbage; guessing it’s probably good as a salad dressing but I could do with some other recipes / ideas. Anyone got anything yummy they want to share?

Replies

• HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Lots of different vinegars have lots of different tastes. If apple cider vinegar and red wine vinegar are the only things you've tried, you have a whole world open to you. For example, I like to marinate and then cook lean, boneless pork chops in a marinade of equal parts maple syrup, Dijon mustard and balsamic vinegar. Rice wine vinegar adds a wonderful light tang to Asian foods and is a staple for Thai cucumber salads. Vinegars are relatively inexpensive (except for REAL balsamic vinegar -- most of what we call balsamic vinegar is only flavored) and can be stored for long periods at room temperature.

In answer to your actual question, red wine vinegar is great in an Italian-style vinaigrette dressing. It's also good used in marinades, especially for red meats. Red wine vinegar can be used for making ricotta cheese but you would need more of it because it is less acidic than white vinegar. I wouldn't use it for canned pickles because of its lower acid level but I might use it for refrigerator pickles that are eaten soonish.

Basically, there are few "rules" as to what vinegar to use when. Use what tastes good to you.
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member

I bought a bottle to use in some braised red cabbage; guessing it’s probably good as a salad dressing but I could do with some other recipes / ideas. Anyone got anything yummy they want to share?

Hey 👋 @claireychn074 - I really love red wine vinegar for Greek salads with feta. I also use it in Poulet Au Vinaigre - basically “chicken with vinegar.” Brings out a great taste in the chicken! Recipe popular in Lyon, France.

There are a lot of variations to the recipe - but I’ve used this one the most:

8 pieces of chicken ( I use thighs)
    one chicken liver ( optional/ but I use it.)
    2 shallots chopped
    2 cloves of garlic
    2 sprigs of tarragon
    2 sprigs thyme
    1 tablespoon of tomato paste
    500 ml of chicken stock
    400 ml of white burgundy wine
    200 ml of red wine vinegar
    Sea salt to taste
    1 tablespoon of butter

Some recipes use heavy cream at the end - but I like without.

I simmer stock and wine and then sweat the shallots, garlic and herbs, toss in chicken and butter. In side pan I finish with tomato paste and red wine vinegar - slow simmer to a syrupy consistency— when chicken is cooked - add sauce. (Some people brown the chicken first, I only do this if using chicken with skin)

That’s my quickie recipe - there are quite a few (with more detail) if you look up Poulet au vinaigre. 😉 👩🏼‍🍳
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    Marinated mushrooms, if you like them (I know many people don't). White mushrooms, a combination of red wine vinegar and water (50/50ish should be OK - depends on taste prefs), garlic cloves (peeled, chunked up a bit so raw surfaces), fresh thyme and oregano (can just put in whole clean sprigs, no fussing necessary; at most crush them slightly to bruise and maybe release flavor faster), salt. It's slow, and a rational amount of liquid may not cover immediately, but they'll shrink (stir now and then). Can happen in the refrigerator (very slow) or put in an acid-resistant pot (stainless steel, glass) on the stove on very low (pretty fast).

It's also used in skordalia (Greek garlic dip), but that's more caloric. Many recipes online.

Almost any grilled/roasted vegetable is nice with vinegar (red among others) seasoned in whatever way sounds nice (garlic, herbs, etc.). Red (or the less-aged balsamic) is good in a tomato sauce that doesn't quite have enough acid tang.

Like others who've posted, I use various vinegars: Red, ACV, regular and white balsamic (long aged and not, in different ways), sherry vinegar, champagne vinegar, beer vinegar, coconut vinegar, . . . . It's kind of a stumper to tell you what I use different ones in, because I use them a lot in various things, based on which one sounds tastiest in the particular dish (yes, they all taste just a little different).

• SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    This is my favorite recipe that uses red wine vinegar...it's in my regular rotation:

https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/one-pan-chicken-thighs-with-burst-tomatoes-harissa-and-feta
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,886 Member
    My regular use for RWV is potato salad and my mom uses it for green salad.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    RWV is good on a grilled steak salad, or a strawberry and spinach salad. It's good for most salads, really, especially if you're not fond of balsamic or want something a little less pricey. Or if you like oil and vinegar on sandwiches (e.g., Italian cold cut and steak and cheese), RWV works there. It's been a long time since I made sauerbraten, but I think I used RWV for that. And for sweet and sour cabbage. It will work in hot peanut sauce if you don't have rice vinegar or sherry vinegar on hand.

I wouldn't put it on fries (chips) or fried fish. Stick with malt vinegar, or if you don't malt vinegar, ACV.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    I use it a ton for dressings. Some with olive oil and some super low cal with a tasty mustard and maybe herbs or a bit of juice from a bottle of olives. Cabbage, yes. I love the chicken idea, although my own vinegar chicken standby uses white wine vinegar. I wholly co-sign Ann's post above.
  • GrizzledSquirrel
    GrizzledSquirrel Posts: 120 Member
    Red wine vinegar + dollop of whole grain mustard + olive oil (roughly double the amount of red wine vinegar and mustard) whisked vigorously and poured over every leaf salad ever.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,403 Member
    Vinegar, o, vinegar, how do I love thee?

Blueberry balsamic on cottage cheese, blueberries and (frozen) cherries, with a few grams of grapenuts. Divine happiness in a bowl.

Pork marinated in chocolate balsamic and spices then pressure cooked and broiled to make the best homemade carnitas ever.

Trader Joe’s fried rice, supplemented with extra chicken, cauliflower rice, and a scrambled egg or two, topped with a dash of honey ginger balsamic.

Strawberry balsamic on fresh strawberries.

Any sweet balsamic on a large salad with some chopped meat of any persuasion and some feta or halloumi cheese.

A dash of sweet balsamic in sparkling water.

Maple balsamic on sweet potatoes or squash.

ACV mixed with Mayo, sugar free maple syrup, shredded apple and a little salt and fresh ground pepper, stirred into broccoli slaw. Even better the next day.

Pineapple slices or pears split in half, hit with a dash of the appropriately matching balsamic and baked in the oven til it browns and starts to caramelize.

High quality balsamic is incredibly sweet and satisfying, comes in an enormous range of flavors, and has negligible calories. I go through a quart of it every couple of weeks.

If anyone asks me, what’s your Diet Secret? It’s truly and sincerely vinegar, but not ACV, thank heavens.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Red wine vinegar + dollop of whole grain mustard + olive oil (roughly double the amount of red wine vinegar and mustard) whisked vigorously and poured over every leaf salad ever.

This actually works even with a much smaller portion of olive oil. It's my favorite basic dressing.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

This actually works even with a much smaller portion of olive oil. It's my favorite basic dressing.

Or no olive oil at all . . . while I like some fat in a salad, I sometimes prefer to use just vinegar + seasonings to dress, and add some pumpkin seeds or something like that.
    (snip)

If anyone asks me, what’s your Diet Secret? It’s truly and sincerely vinegar, but not ACV, thank heavens.

Hey! ACV's good, too. Reality's more nuanced, but generally I prefer ACV to balsamic, when with some fruits, or in cocktails.

Personally - and this is just a taste pref, not "me right, you wrong" - I'm not mostly very fond of pre-flavored vinegars, preferring to just keep the various basic types in the pantry, and season them myself on the fly.
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,325 Member
    Oh I’m drooling... going to try the chicken recipe first then the mushrooms - sounds delicious! 🤤
  • GrizzledSquirrel
    GrizzledSquirrel Posts: 120 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

Good point - and worth mentioning, especially when you can’t afford the calories in that extra lug of olive oil. Otherwise, some days, when my body is craving a proper vinegar hit (you know, that eye-watering, slap to your tastebuds and a shiver up your spine), I gladly bypass the oil altogether.

Yum.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,257 Member
    Mmmm, I buy it by the gallon. Pickled red onions. I LOVE them on a salad. Sometimes slopping the onions on the salad is enough "dressing." Thumbs up for Greek salad too.

That chicken recipe looks amazing. It's mid-afternoon at my house, so my brain is moving toward dinner...
  • carakirkey
    carakirkey Posts: 199 Member
    I'm loving vinegars and mustards- low cal, low sodium flavor. Red wine vinegar is one of my favorites, and used in lots of dressing and Greek salad.
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,325 Member

Hey 👋 @claireychn074 - I really love red wine vinegar for Greek salads with feta. I also use it in Poulet Au Vinaigre - basically “chicken with vinegar.” Brings out a great taste in the chicken! Recipe popular in Lyon, France.

There are a lot of variations to the recipe - but I’ve used this one the most:

8 pieces of chicken ( I use thighs)
    one chicken liver ( optional/ but I use it.)
    2 shallots chopped
    2 cloves of garlic
    2 sprigs of tarragon
    2 sprigs thyme
    1 tablespoon of tomato paste
    500 ml of chicken stock
    400 ml of white burgundy wine
    200 ml of red wine vinegar
    Sea salt to taste
    1 tablespoon of butter

Some recipes use heavy cream at the end - but I like without.

I simmer stock and wine and then sweat the shallots, garlic and herbs, toss in chicken and butter. In side pan I finish with tomato paste and red wine vinegar - slow simmer to a syrupy consistency— when chicken is cooked - add sauce. (Some people brown the chicken first, I only do this if using chicken with skin)

That’s my quickie recipe - there are quite a few (with more detail) if you look up Poulet au vinaigre. 😉 👩🏼‍🍳

O.M.G.

Just cooked this, and it may now rank as one of my faves ever! I did add cream and it was incredibly delicious - thank you!